Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

What books did you find under the tree?

A BN gift card for me!  Now, what shall I get with it??  

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
New User
NO_LIMITS
0 Kudos

Re: What books did you find under the tree?

I got a nook!! :smileyvery-happy:

I am already reading ebooks!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I got a B&N gift card, an American Express gift card (which could be used at B&N), and while my mother was on a cruise off the SE coast, she went into a bookstore in GA and asked if they had any locally-set mysteries, so she got me two paperback mysteries set on Georgian islands.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Peppermill
0 Kudos

liisa22 wrote:

A BN gift card for me!  Now, what shall I get with it??  

Liisa -- hope you'll let us know what you decide!  Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
macbethchick
0 Kudos

A Nook! I've already some books...would love to join the Classics Bookclub. How do I do that?

Beth

HS English teacher

43, Ohio

Beth

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Welcome, Beth!  Well, you kind of already have (joined).  Just come and talk to us about classics!  This board is in kind of a transition period now, and we don't have any specific discussions coming up, but sooner or later we will probably choose another book to discuss.  In the meantime, just post about whatever you want, in relation to the classics!  There's a thread where you can tell us what your favorites are, for example.  You can post on any existing thread, or if you have a new topic, start your own!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
macbethchick
0 Kudos

Yea!! :smileyvery-happy:

I love reading the classics now!

When I was an English major in college a hundred years ago...there was so MUCH to read that I wasn't able to enjoy the material. Many times it was a matter of mastering excerpts. Now I've gone back to the classics and can take my time to really read and appreciate them.

Right now I'm re-reading Dickens and Austin, and reading the Sherlock Holmes volumes for the first time.

Hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!!

Beth

Peppermill
0 Kudos

macbethchick wrote:

Yea!! :smileyvery-happy:

I love reading the classics now!

When I was an English major in college a hundred years ago...there was so MUCH to read that I wasn't able to enjoy the material. Many times it was a matter of mastering excerpts. Now I've gone back to the classics and can take my time to really read and appreciate them.

Right now I'm re-reading Dickens and Austin, and reading the Sherlock Holmes volumes for the first time.

Hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!!

Beth -- you may be interested in knowing that the Literature by Women board is discussing Shirley by Charlotte Bronte in January.  Since it is by a female author, it is one of those books that might be discussed on either Classics or LbW.  Dulcinea has been trying to get us to discuss it for some time and other books have somehow managed to eke ahead in votings.  But this month is SHIRLEY month!  (We did Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South, so that should be a nice, but not necessary, contrast for some of us.)

I know full well I have a copy of Shirley around here somewhere (I think?), but I should have left it on its shelf rather than pulling it a month or so in anticipation,  Now, it has disappeared!  So, I probably shall do some online reading until I can get my hands on a library copy.

Welcome!  Enjoy these online communities.  We look forward to new participants, new insights.  We are loosely from around the world, i.e., France, Australia, across the U.S., ....

(I live now in New Jersey, but have lived in the Midwest and New England as well.)

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
macbethchick
0 Kudos

Thanks, Pepper. I'll check that out!

Beth

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

We just bought Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer for my 8 year oldf

Contributor
josh84
0 Kudos

i got a B&N gift card... bought three books with it, the first two were nicholas sparks but the third was a classic, uncle tom's cabin and that book has sparked a huge interest on all classics. i do plan on readin more sparks novels and other recent novels as well but my priority this year is to get aquanted or reaquanted (tom sawyer and treasure island) with the classics.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

I received $100.00 in Barnes and Noble Gift Cards. :smileyhappy:

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"