Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
crawlingeye
0 Kudos

suggestions for classics

i have always been a big stephen king and michael chrichton.  last few years ive been trying to read more classics.  i am a huge fan of fantasy & fairy tales. anything to do with princes, princesses and magical kingdoms.  i read mystery of udolpho and absolutely loved it!  i was wondering if anyone had more suggestions along those line.  also, atlas shrugged is the greates book ive ever read, any suggestions with that type of book? would apprieciate any input.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

Re: suggestions for classics

[ Edited ]

Gulliver's Travels (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Peter Pan (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

The Chronicles of Narnia (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics)  

I'm trying to think of classics that would fit into a sort of fantasy, and perhaps Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift would fit the bill.  And then, of course, there are children's classics, such as Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll, and The Wonderul Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum.  These can still be read and enjoyed by adults, and in fact we have discussed the ones I mentioned here on this board.  Personally, after seeing the clever prequel miniseries Neverland, I want to reread Peter Pan and Wendy by James Barrie, and I also just bought The Chronicles of Narnia because I like the movies.  The Mysteries of Udolpho is a gothic novel, and other novels considered gothic would include Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brone and perhaps Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier, although they are not nearly as over-the-top as Udolpho.  Since you enjoyed Udolpho, you might also enjoy Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen; the heroine has read so many gothic novels that she sees supicious things everywhere she turns, and there are references to Udolpho.  Another old gothic I have heard of from the same period as Udolpho is The Castle of Otranto, but I've never read it, and there is also The Monk by Matthew G. Lewis, which was quite scandalous in its day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
New User
Meggyx
0 Kudos

I'm still new at this B&N Community and I'm not very good at giving detailed descriptions of why you should read a book besides the fact that it's a good read..But here's my attempt, I hope it helps.
Two suggestions I can highly recommend would be first The Portrait of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.  The Portrait of Dorian Gray is an amazing classic, the ending will blow you away. Once you begin the book you will become engrossed, it's an absolute page turner. To me it's one of the original science fiction books.

Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters Series #1) 

Portrait Of Dorian Gray   
Second, although this is not a classic it does fall along the lines of fairy tales, Daughter of The Forest by Juliet Marillier. Daughter of The Forest, is a new spin on an old fable. I sadly can't tell you which fable it is based off of but you can probably Google and find out. Regardless if you like fairy tales I believe you'll like this one. It's also a series, so there are books after it. However the first is the absolute best and those that follow can't compete. The story is about a sister with 6 brothers and what they must endure to stay together. I don't want to give much away so that's all I'll say. I hope you try my suggestions as they are magnificent reads and two of my favorites! Again I hope my attempt was decent and helpful. Enjoy!!

New User
White_Gardenia
0 Kudos

I totally agree with your suggestions.  Two of my favorite classics are Jane Eyre and Rebecca.  You even included some that I have not read, so I will be adding them to my list of future reads.

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

I was thinking the same thing...

I want to read more classics so thank you for telling it to

it before me!

I'm always looking into different books besides classics...

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
are you going to do the right or the wrong?"
~me
New User
eherrmann93

The book that got me into reading classics was Dracula by Bram Stoker. I am currently reading the Sherlock Holmes Books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and i absolutely love it! This one would be good to start with because i always suggest to people to begin with books that don't have as much of the 'old timey writing/language', because it tends to be boring for someone who reads modern literature. I would also highly suggest Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (one of the most famous classics i believe). It is a wonderful book, but as i said start off slow, because the language she uses is of a very old style, and when i first bought it (as my very first classic) i read about four pages and put it down out of boredom. After reading some books of less compicated and old styled (for lack of a better phrase) writing i picked it up again and loved it!

Hope i have helped you, and watch out, i've become addicted to buying classics :smileyhappy:

New User
eherrmann93
0 Kudos

also, i will second the suggestion for The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. FANTASTIC book!

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

Cool, I'll check it out!:smileyvery-happy:

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
are you going to do the right or the wrong?"
~me
Inspired Contributor
Yonina_Dove
0 Kudos

Dracula was the first classic book I read as well!! Pride & Prejudice is definitely on my list of must reads.

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables me to laugh at life's realities.”
New User
TrixieBelden92
0 Kudos

I really like that quote. :smileywink:
New User
AWSDVM
0 Kudos

I will add the suggestion of The Picture of Dorian Grey -- fantastic book with just enough mystery to be interesting but not cheesy. Definitely recommend!

New User
RoseForEmily
0 Kudos

I would recommend Oscar Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray" as well. You could also try Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein," if you haven't read that one. You should also try to branch out and read some other kinds of books, just to see if you like them. I would suggest "Night" by Elie Wiesel. "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain and "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scoot Fitzgerald are both good. I love Russian authors, and recommend their writing all the time. Unfortunately they can be rather lengthy and maybe even confusing. It took me a while to get through Leo Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina." But I love his short stories as well. "One Day in the  Life of Ivan Denisovich" by Alexander Solzhenstein is one I recommend if you're interested in the Gulag and such but there are also others. I also agree "Jane Eyre" is a good one, along with the novel, "Wuthering Heights," written by her sister, Emily Bronte.  These just kind of give you a more open list as far what's out there that's considered "classic" or "good." Be open to new types of books, you never know.

Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld
0 Kudos

My favorite classic that I've read was Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.  At first I was intimidated because it was over 1100 pages in my edition and some said I'd peter out about 1/2 way through.  Not so.  I told myself to read as many chapters and pages per day and I soon found that Hugo mostly put chapters in short pages which soon added up to tidy volumes or sections.  Loved the format which, for me, made it accessible.  I loved the book more than the movie but still it was extremely faithfully adapted.

The other two weighty classics I want to read are The Count of Monte Cristo by Victor Hugo (loved the movie version) and the Iliad.  I'm a brave soul but I'm up for the challenge.  My current classic is Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.  I've set my goal to read about 4 or 5 chapters per day depending on the sectional themes.

I know this doesn't fall into the classics theme in this thread but my other favorite books are the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.  I've read through book 5 so far and use it as my "reward" for reading 3-4 other books in my "to be read" pile.  For me, it's rare to find a book that really grabs my attention so much that I can't put it down, but Ms Harris has done it for me.