Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: 2010- What Are You Reading?

Pepper, Thank you.  I will have to remember that when I decided to give it a go.  I still need to read The Mysteries of Udolpho too.

Peppermill wrote:

Ryan -- The Woman in White is sort of a read it even if bored book, though.  I have encountered enough references to it since I "read" it that I almost wish I'd been more careful.  At least I have a better sense about what people are referring to.  I think perhaps it is boring in part because it uses a plot formula that is familiar or predictable, but not much used in modern books for exactly those reasons?  Also, because it doesn't seem particularly plausible?  Still, it is rather like reading The Mysteries of Udolpho to better understand the Gothic genres -- not the most enthralling endeavor, but insightful. So, maybe one of those projects that is 50 pages a month until through the thing?

Ryan_G wrote:

See and I was scared someone would say that about The Woman in White.  That is the book of his I really wanted to read, but I'm afraid I would find it as boring as The Moonstone was.  Maybe I just need to be in the right frame of mind. 

Peppermill wrote:

Ryan_G wrote (excerpts, emphasis added):

I'm sad over it but I had to give up on The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.  I find it to be beautifully written but it's so boring.  I find myself wishing Agatha Christie had wrote it instead.  It's going back on my shelf though, I may try it again in a year or two.

The Moonstone (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) 

Ryan -- LOL at your review of The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.  As I recall, that's the way I felt about his

The Woman in White, although it was a book club selection, so I did read it, at least in the off-hand sort of way I sometimes do for books to which I react without enthusiasm. 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Peppermill

Ryan -- I said The Woman in White seemed not quite plausible to me, but one site says: "This dramatic tale, inspired by an actual criminal case...."  Maybe truth is stranger than fiction, or maybe it was just my reaction to the adaptation.

Here is a Wikipedia comment:  

"The Woman in White is an epistolary novel written by Wilkie Collins in 1859, serialized in 1859–1860, and first published in book form in 1860. It is considered to be among the first mystery novels and is widely regarded as one of the first (and finest) in the genre of 'sensation novels'.

"The story is considered an early example of detective fiction ..."

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Reader 4
JanetD00
0 Kudos

I am reading Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn.  I was introduced to this author and character via an audiobook later in the series.  Since I am a serial reader, I *had* to go back and start with book #1.   

Frequent Contributor
AuntJoanie
0 Kudos

Right now, I am reading Shutter Island.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

AuntJoanie wrote:

Right now, I am reading Shutter Island.

I just finished that on Saturday!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I just finished Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls and I loved it.  I'm currently reading The Lover, the Lunatic, and the Poet and loving that even more.

Jon, can we have this thread floated to the top like last years was?

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 

The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

The Legend of Colton H. Bryant  Needed a short book to zip through and this one looked interesting. Saw the author discussing it on CSPAN last year and it piqued my interest.

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

I just finished reading The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom - her debut novel.  Excellent read - the characters stay with you long after the last page is read. 

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom: Book Cover

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

I'm a few pages from finishing reading on my nook...

Glinda of Oz 

Now I'm about to start reading on my nook...

Columbine

Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

A Captain's Duty  This book just came out on Monday.  I saw Phillip's interview on Dateline this past Sunday evening and knew i wanted to read the book. This week marks a year ago that Capt Phillips was held captive by Somale Pirates.  I just started reading it late this evening and am on Chapter 3.  I wish I could stay up to read the whole thing.

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney