Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
BARBARA12
0 Kudos

Re: 2010- What Are You Reading?

Village Of Sycamore 

I also hooked immediately after I opened this book.

What a wonderful milieu, amazing characters and a captivating plot.

I felt as if I was in my happy place while reading this book and I did not want to put it down.

I loved learning about the artist life on an island and the main character Jacqueline is such a wonderful strong woman to read about. Strengths and weaknesses - all together in one person.

The author’s writing is colourful and captivating. She describes the characters so well, without revealing too much, to keep you wanting more. I was sad to read the last line on the very last page. It was such thrill to read this book, that it was hard to close the book and place it in my bookshelf.

I will definitely re-read this novel and I an eagerly waiting for the next new novel by Maria Rihte.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I read I Am Nujood in March. 

From my review:

"The mistreatment of women in many Muslim countries is exemplified in this tale of child abuse. While Nujood has been honored and has dreams of a future as a lawyer, her prospects for achieving this seem slim. In her country, poverty abounds, women have few rights and they remain uneducated and illiterate as do many men. Women have few expectations and basically accept their neglected condition because they have no power to do otherwise. When a child is “sold” into marriage, women may actually become her biggest enemies, goading her and punishing her for what they consider her disrespectful behavior when she is disobedient. Women expect to be overworked, bear children and follow orders. They are so beaten down that they have little self esteem and expect even less out of life. Theirs is to do or die, obediently, quietly and respectfully. 
Although the story seems disjointed at first, all the pieces come together in the end. I realize it is a true story but it defies my imagination and fills me with horror and regret that such conditions exist in the modern world."

Peppermill wrote:

Did I say that I read this one last week?

I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced

A sad and frightening tale of a world and culture it is difficult to understand from outside it, and, hopefully, from some parts inside.

I can't exactly say the writing is exciting -- clearly Nujood had a ghost writer to aid her in telling her story.  I can only perhaps hope that the royalities and other benefits of the publicity will permit her to continue her education and life and may positively influence the lives of others.  But, as in so much of the world, a fundamental issue remains the availability of work that can generate enough renumeration to sustain self and, if possible, a nuclear family.

It was a very short and quick read -- perhaps a couple of hours.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I am now reading one of the books I received for Mother's Day. 

Innocent

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

Just about to start a couple of books..

Sunday's at Tiffany's by James Patterson

A Bend in the Road by Maureen Lipinski

Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper

Hoping these are good, because the last two I read were definitely not my fave!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Author
R_E_Conary
0 Kudos

Recently finished the following and recommend all of them:

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium Trilogy Series #2) 

Stone's Fall 

Devil's Trill 

Am currently reading:

Faces of the Gone 

Next up:

The Man with The Iron-On Badge

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

Here's the chunk I have left from the library...

Wednesday Letters 

I'm about half way through, still isn't catching my eye, but hoping it will get better soon.

The Help 

I have been putting off this book to read for the past few days... not sure why.

If You Could See Me Now 

Things I Want My Daughters to Know  

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Correspondent
LadyMin
0 Kudos

I  just finished 61 Hours by Lee Child. 

61 Hours (Jack Reacher Series #14) 

Now I'm reading WWW:Watch by Robert J. Sawyer

Book 2 of a trilogy

WWW:Watch

Reader
LunaSummer10
0 Kudos

I am currently reading:

Into the Wild

Which has surprisingly became excellent! Definitely a quick read but intriguing and interesting. Should check it out =]

Correspondent
bookwormmom4
0 Kudos

Under the Dome  

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up" Mark Twain
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Children of the New World  by Assia Djebar

This is the book currently being discussed on the Literature by Women board.

I highly recommend it.  It has taken me into a world and a culture alien from my own, yet with very human links in personal experiences, feelings, thoughts.  It is not a difficult read, albeit a bit thought-provoking at times.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy