Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
LisaJay
0 Kudos

Re: 2010- What Are You Reading?

I'm reading Little Patient Big Doctor: One Mother's Journey.  Love it.

Little Patient Big Doctor

New User
LisaJay
0 Kudos

I'm reading Little Patient Big Doctor: One Mother's Journey.  Trust yourself- love the messege.

Little Patient Big Doctor

Reader 4
slferguson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Currently reading the Book of Lost Books - this writeris obviously a compulsive list maker -- at least from the intro.  It looks so far to be very interesting.

Also reading Witches Abroad by TerryPratchett - fascinating book and quite a story, as usual. 

Witches Abroad 

Contributor
T-Ronasauricus
0 Kudos

I'm starting Margaret Atwood's "The Bind Assassin" tonight for my book club. I'm very excited as I've never readone of her novels before. :smileyhappy:

T Ron

Happy to be here, happy to lie here, happy to know you. . .
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

T-Ronasauricus wrote:

I'm starting Margaret Atwood's "The Blind Assassin" tonight for my book club. I'm very excited as I've never read one of her novels before. :smileyhappy:

T Ron

T-Ron -- would love to hear what you think.

Margaret Atwood is one of those skilled writers who sometimes I enjoy and sometimes I don't.  Her classic, The Handmaid's Tale, is not one of my favorites.  But, it has been so widely read and discussed, that I am glad to have read it.  I thoroughly enjoyed The PenelopiadAlias Grace I considered a decent read, but the critics were not particularly kind on her treatment of the subject matter, so, I just considered it as pure fiction, rather than as an interpretation of an actual situation.  I probably have The Blind Assassin somewhere on my shelves, but, if I have read any of it, it wasn't a lot -- not necessarily any statement of its readability or quality, just that other books got first dibs.

Wikipedia entry

Web site

2000 Man Booker for The Blind Assassin

Thomas Mallon gave a rather scathing review in the NYT.  I suggest reading the review AFTER the book.  It hardly fits with the receipt of the Man Booker.  I didn't go looking for other reviews.  It would be interesting to consider what the Guardian said.

Okay, here is a Guardian review.  But, it does say a bit about the story, so stay away until have read the book, if you dislike spoilers or, at least, even the hint of them.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
Slmnfit1
0 Kudos

The girl who Played with Fire.  Love this book!  Love the character, Lizabeth Salander!:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

The Worst Hard Time Am waffling between these two books. I've started both of them but just can't figure out which one I want to commmit to. (sort of like the rest of my life, actually LOL!). Two very different choices.

The Blue Bistro    

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

pjpick wrote:

The Worst Hard Time Am waffling between these two books. I've started both of them but just can't figure out which one I want to commmit to. (sort of like the rest of my life, actually LOL!). Two very different choices.

The Blue Bistro    

The Worst Hard Time is a worthwhile read, but

The Blue Bistro would probably be more fun.  I don't know it at all.  I read TWHT awhile back.  Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

pjpick wrote:

The Blue Bistro    

The Worst Hard Time is a worthwhile read, but

The Blue Bistro would probably be more fun.  I don't know it at all.  I read TWHT awhile back.  Pepper

Pep! I think you're right. With a paper and a presentation due I think I'll stick to the Beach Reads. LOL! Found my mind wandering too much while reading TWHT.

Inspired Contributor
Kimbeey13
0 Kudos

Thought I would get into the Christmas spirit by reading a story about someone trying to off Old Saint Nick. So far, so good.

The Fat Man