Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: 2010- What Are You Reading?

pjpick wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

pjpick wrote:

The Street  Reading this one on recommendation from Peppermill. I'm only on page 4 so I can't glean anything from it yet but so far I'm turned off by the writing style.

I am sorry.  And tell us more.

It has been awhile since I read the book and I don't particularly remember the writing style, except that it is what I rather associate with the somewhat earlier Harlem Renaissance writers, although I don't know as if I can accurately describe what that style is.

One of the comments that I do remember from our book group discussion was that the violence seemed mild compared with other books that we had read about racial struggles. I remember being surprised and chagrined by that assessment -- I was distraught enough by what the characters had to face and endure in our country.  But, the historical perspective may be part of the value of the book, with whether that perspective is accurate certainly open for discussion.

Ann Petry

Whoops! This is what I get for dinkin' around on the computer when I can barely keep my eyes open. I meant to say I"m NOT turned off by the writing style. Repeat! I'm NOT turned off by the writing style. Yikes. I better re-read that recommendation letter I wrote for a fellow co-worker now. LOL!

So far I"m only about 50 pages in and hope to really get a big read in later this evening. I'm enjoying it so far though. The copy of the book I have is one I got from paperbackswap (used copy) and it has proved quite interesting. Whoever owned the book previously has underlined and circled passages and has made notes in the margins (something I never do) and it's as if I have this little mini-book discussion going on as I read. It's very interesting what the previous reader has picked up or interpreted in the story which I haven't.

So far, Pep, I think it's a good recommendation! (Sorry I missed typed earlier:smileysurprised:)

PJPICK

WHEW!   :smileyvery-happy:

Will be curious to see if there are parts of your mini-discussion you end up considering worth sharing.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

I have just finished the audio version of The Help by Kathryn Stockett and I highly recommend it.  An excellent story and wonderful characters.  I'm already envisioning what happens in their futures.  The audio version is well performed.

The Help 

We are now listening to Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane on our daily commute.

Shutter Island 

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Deb,

I'm interested in hearing what you have to say on this one, my political mind automatically wants to read a mystery series set in the White House.

debbook wrote:

A fun, cozy mystery that I've just started

State of the Onion (White House Chef Mystery Series #1)

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Deb,

I'm interested in hearing what you have to say on this one, my political mind automatically wants to read a mystery series set in the White House.

debbook wrote:

A fun, cozy mystery that I've just started

State of the Onion (White House Chef Mystery Series #1)

Ryan, my review will be posted tomorrow but it isn't very political. Just light, fun

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Still reading The Street  by Ann Petry but I misplaced it for a few days (I seem to be doing that alot lately) and picked up this one

Victim of the Aurora   to fill the void. AACK. I never read two books at once.

Peppermill, when I'm done with The Street we'll chat.

Author
R_E_Conary
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

plumroz wrote: An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears. Absolutely enthralling.

I agree. Great book. You might also enjoy his Art Fraud series with Jonathan Argyl.

The Raphael Affair (Art History Mystery Series #1) 

New User
pepsi14
0 Kudos

i was readin Fire from the Rock by sharon m draper last week this week im readin Bronx Masquarade 

P3P$I B3@+$ +H3 H3(l 0U+ @ Y@!!!!!
aka pepsi beats the heck out a yo!!!!!
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

The Ruins of Ambrai (Exiles Series #1)  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

The Swan Thieves  

Last Night in Twisted River  

Murder Is Binding (Booktown Series #1)

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just started this....it is already very good, and a very easy read. If you have a dog or

have loved a dog this book is for you.I can so identify!  This is the same author that wrote the book that is being discussed in this month's First Look. 

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney