Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Re: 2010- What Are You Reading?

I did too!

LindaEducation wrote:

To the person who was reading"The Good Good Pig" I got it awhile back as an  ARC. I enjoyed it. Happy reading!

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Series #1)  Reading this one for my face to face book club.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

The Dead Travel Fast  

North And South

Arcadia Falls  

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G

I'm sad over it but I had to give up on The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.  I find it to be beautifully written but it's so boring.  I find myself wishing Agatha Christie had wrote it instead.  It's going back on my shelf though, I may try it again in a year or two.

I am starting on The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha Christie though.

The Moonstone (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) 

Seven Dials Mystery 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ryan_G wrote (excerpts, emphasis added):

I'm sad over it but I had to give up on The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.  I find it to be beautifully written but it's so boring.  I find myself wishing Agatha Christie had wrote it instead.  It's going back on my shelf though, I may try it again in a year or two.

Ryan -- LOL at your review of The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.  As I recall, that's the way I felt about his

The Woman in White, although it was a book club selection, so I did read it, at least in the off-hand sort of way I sometimes do for books to which I react without enthusiasm. 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

See and I was scared someone would say that about The Woman in White.  That is the book of his I really wanted to read, but I'm afraid I would find it as boring as The Moonstone was.  Maybe I just need to be in the right frame of mind. 

Peppermill wrote:

Ryan -- LOL at your review of The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.  As I recall, that's the way I felt about his

The Woman in White, although it was a book club selection, so I did read it, at least in the off-hand sort of way I sometimes do for books to which I react without enthusiasm. 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Peppermill

Ryan -- The Woman in White is sort of a read it even if bored book, though.  I have encountered enough references to it since I "read" it that I almost wish I'd been more careful.  At least I have a better sense about what people are referring to.  I think perhaps it is boring in part because it uses a plot formula that is familiar or predictable, but not much used in modern books for exactly those reasons?  Also, because it doesn't seem particularly plausible?  Still, it is rather like reading The Mysteries of Udolpho to better understand the Gothic genres -- not the most enthralling endeavor, but insightful. So, maybe one of those projects that is 50 pages a month until through the thing?

Ryan_G wrote:

See and I was scared someone would say that about The Woman in White.  That is the book of his I really wanted to read, but I'm afraid I would find it as boring as The Moonstone was.  Maybe I just need to be in the right frame of mind. 

Peppermill wrote:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Movie version out this week! It'll be fun to compare the book with the screenplay:

http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=GIRL+WITH+DRAGON+TATTOO

pjpick wrote:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Series #1)  Reading this one for my face to face book club.

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

There's a movie!!!??? How did I not know that? I'm usually so "up" on these things. Ist a movie on the big screen or HBO?

IBIS wrote:

Movie version out this week! It'll be fun to compare the book with the screenplay:

pjpick wrote:

Peppermill
0 Kudos

The movie!  Here is the schedule, at least for the early weeks:

http://dragontattoofilm.com/now-playing/

Also, of interest, about the director Niels Arden Oplev:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/movies/14dragon.html?ref=books

pjpick wrote:

There's a movie!!!??? How did I not know that? I'm usually so "up" on these things. Ist a movie on the big screen or HBO?

IBIS wrote:

pjpick wrote: