Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: 2011 - What Are You Reading?

[ Edited ]

babzilla41 wrote:
I have visited Silas House's site - thank you.  Am watching for his next book - he recently published a YA novel - so am thinking it will be a while.  If you liked Parchment of Leaves, you should read the other two (they are set in the same place, and the main characters are related to/descendants of those in Parchment).

Am still contemplating buying The Dollhouse, although I have such a huge TBR pile already!

Barb

It is that overflowing TBR that has kept me from reading more of House's works.  :smileysad:

Right now, I have these three fiction pieces going, with Rumfeld's Known and Unknown as my concurrent audio selection:

The Portrait of a Lady (Modern Library Series)  by Henry James

I think must have been too young, too naive the last time I tried to read a Henry James novel.  (I had enjoyed his travelogues.) I am absolutely enjoying the sauve language and ideas and descriptions.  The margins are getting filled with little smiley faces (and a few sad ones).

Red Queen by Margaret Drabble

Another savvy, sleek piece of writing.  A Korean queen is given immortality to tell her story out of the 17th century.  (This is available in paperback (Nook?), I am reading a library copy.)

The Warden (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading)  by Anthony Trollope

Barchester Towers has been sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read, when I realized that I should start with The Warden.  This one is short and straight forward. 

These three are a fascinating collection of novels to be reading in parallel.  Each writer is amply capable, but each style is very different.  IMHO every citizen of voting age should listen to the over-lengthy Rumsfeld if they can possibly find the time, whatever one's opinion of the man.  (I am not a fan.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Added

Jude the Obscure  by Thomas Hardy, Rosellen Brown (Introduction) to the concurrent reading stack. 

We shall see if I can pull this off, keeping so many stories going at the same time.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
Ben_Stuffing
0 Kudos

I'm reading Catching Fire, the second book after The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  It is an amazing book, read it if you get the chance.  :smileyvery-happy:

Ben_Stuffing
http://incredesigns.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

Had been in writing mode most of the day. I have not read anything other than news and internet.

I think I am ready for walk, if doesn't start raining again. Well, there will be another day. Enjoy.

Frequent Contributor
ginger-maci
0 Kudos

just began reading the prequels to the "Left behind" series. also, several murder mysteries.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Among other books, I've started

Cranford 

- it's the April pick for Literature by Women.  Join us Monday April 4!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Just got from the library

Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia Grey Series #2) 

It has been a while since I read anything quite like this but I felt as if I needed lighter reading. This has a Gothic romance sound to it so I hope I like it!

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

I just finished The Bird House  by Kelly Simmons.

The Bird House 

Am now reading The autobiography of an Execution by David R. Dow

The Autobiography of an Execution 

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Just finished reading

The Collectibles  by James J. Kaufman

with the General Fiction board.  It isn't often that I finish a book to come over here and recommend that everyone who has any interest at all and possibly some who don't think they have any to read this book.

I won't claim great writing, of the ilk of a classic by a Hardy or a Dickens or Endo, but I will claim a great story on how to live with self-interest, decency, integrity, and purpose in this tough economic climate and with so many fellow travelers on our journey through life.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Parker Pyne Investigates  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com