Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

2013 trial date for Apple e-book lawsuit

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Re: 2013 trial date for Apple e-book lawsuit

Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

More (of my) tax dollars down a hole...
Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

moogs wrote:

This is a better use of taxpayers' money than prosecuting Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens...

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

gb18 wrote:

Related:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/12/06/22/justice.department.requests.discovery.into.next.year/

This article claims that agency pricing is "a long-standing practice in the publishing world."  Does anyone know the validity of that statement?  I'd never heard of it being used for books before 2010.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

keriflur wrote:

This article claims that agency pricing is "a long-standing practice in the publishing world."  Does anyone know the validity of that statement?  I'd never heard of it being used for books before 2010.

I don't think it is in the US, but it has been not only common practice, but occasionally legally required, in some countries. To my knowledge, Germany and France still require publisher pricing on books (and e-books), while the UK required it for new — as in "not used" — books from 1900 to 1997 under the Net Book Agreement ("Net Book Agreement" is an excellent phrase for Googling on).

I believe that in France it's called the Lang Act or Lang Law, and was instituted in 1981. According to Wikipedia, in Germany it's been an agreement since 1888 and a law since 2002: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_Book_Price_Agreement

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

KingAl wrote:

moogs wrote:

This is a better use of taxpayers' money than prosecuting Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens...

None of them were good uses of taxpayer money.  Eric Holder has been one of the worst AGs in the country's history, directing the prosecution of things he shouldn't and refusing to enforce laws that he should.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Knight of the Word, The Dark Knight Returns, Appleseed
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

gb18 wrote:

Related:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/12/06/22/justice.department.requests.discovery.into.next.year/

I will admit to not reading a lot of the articles on this, but to my layman's way of thinking, is the agency model pricing the issue and why would that pricing model be inherently illegal.  Afterall, it's simply the publisher being the seller and setting the price, using the retailer's as agents to sell the product, rather than selling the book to retailer and the retailer then selling it for whatever price they decide.  What if the pubisher decided to open its own bookstore and not sell to any retailers?  How is that much different and how would that be illegal.  It's the alleged collusion that is at issue, did Apple and other collude on the agreement and prices?   

Personally, I'm not convinced that if the courts find against the publishers and Apple and things go back to the way they were before, that it's going to be the big win for consumers that many folks seem to think it will be. 

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

bklvr896: Personally, I'm not convinced that if the courts find against the publishers and Apple and things go back to the way they were before, that it's going to be the big win for consumers that many folks seem to think it will be.

Me either. 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

is the agency model pricing the issue and why would that pricing model be inherently illegal.  Afterall, it's simply the publisher being the seller and setting the price, using the retailer's as agents to sell the product, rather than selling the book to retailer and the retailer then selling it for whatever price they decide.  What if the pubisher decided to open its own bookstore and not sell to any retailers?  How is that much different and how would that be illegal.  It's the alleged collusion that is at issue, did Apple and other collude on the agreement and prices?   

No, the complaint specifically says that the agency model is not a problem. In fact, the proposed settlements expect that the settling publishers will continue to use agency model. The settling publishers will, however, be enjoined for two years from controlling the selling prices aside from a general restriction that over the course of a year, the total discounts given by a reseller on the publisher's titles cannot exceed that reseller's total commissions from those sales. In other words, Amazon can sell best-sellers at a loss if they make up the losses on non-best-sellers from the same publisher. Also, the Most Favored Nation clauses will be cancelled, permitting each reseller to negotiate separate terms with the publisher.

The complaint makes some very eyebrow-raising claims about blatant collusion. It says who discussed what with whom, where and when. If the complaint is at all accurate, the publishers (and Apple) were stupid beyond imagination.