Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Re: 2013 trial date for Apple e-book lawsuit

Sorry Nalia, I was busy pontificating rather than really trying to get your point. I do think agency pricing is becoming more common. At retail it used to be seen mainly in seasonal and promotional merchandise you could pack up and send back, manufacturer paid, at the end of the season or promotional period. Quality is different also, it used to be the kind of stuff sold by infomercials or HSN now.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:
Sorry Nalia, I was busy pontificating rather than really trying to get your point. I do think agency pricing is becoming more common. At retail it used to be seen mainly in seasonal and promotional merchandise you could pack up and send back, manufacturer paid, at the end of the season or promotional period. Quality is different also, it used to be the kind of stuff sold by infomercials or HSN now.
Eh, that's OK. I do it too. :smileyhappy: My reply was originally in response to Irishelf's assertion that agency pricing can't possibly be legal. It's legal and, as you said, it's done more and more often these days, especially with technology. I always find it interesting that those who scream the loudest about the horribleness of agency pricing in regards to ebooks seem to conveniently ignore that so many other products are sold under the same model and it never generates the same level of outrage. I do think the lack of a tangible product may have something to do with that, as well as the fact that it just goes against what we all became used to when buying books.

As far as the lawsuit goes, I don't expect it to have that great an impact on how ebooks are priced in the long run.
Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:
I do think the lack of a tangible product may have something to do with that, as well as the fact that it just goes against what we all became used to when buying books.

I think you're right - that has a lot to do with most of the gripes regarding eBooks.  

People frequently see DTBs being discounted.  They have the freedom to lend or resell any DTB that they own.  And some of us wonder why there isn't something like BooksFree/BookSwim for eBooks.

We see a better chance of readers having the same freedom with eBooks if retailers are allowed to price books themselves.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

doncr wrote:

Nallia wrote:
I do think the lack of a tangible product may have something to do with that, as well as the fact that it just goes against what we all became used to when buying books.

I think you're right - that has a lot to do with most of the gripes regarding eBooks.  

People frequently see DTBs being discounted.  They have the freedom to lend or resell any DTB that they own.  And some of us wonder why there isn't something like BooksFree/BookSwim for eBooks.

We see a better chance of readers having the same freedom with eBooks if retailers are allowed to price books themselves.

*nods* I know that was at the center of my own irritation with the agency model when it first went into effect in 2010. I think I've just been dealing with it for so long now that I simply don't think about it much anymore.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:
*nods* I know that was at the center of my own irritation with the agency model when it first went into effect in 2010. I think I've just been dealing with it for so long now that I simply don't think about it much anymore.

I've adjusted to it also.  I like that it allows me to be lazy - I don't have to shop around for the best price, and I get to use those extra few seconds I save on my lunch break by looking at LOLcats and gifs from Magic Mike. :smileywink:

Other than Penguin, I think the pubs have done an okay job at pricing the books.  I do think that I'd like to see more sales, and for the pubs to actively take an interest in reader loyalty (which would be a completely new thing for them, but it could increase their visability considerably).  That said, I don't think it's going to matter much longer - two years is a long time in a market as heavily in flux as this one is, and as 5 of the big 6 are losing their much of their pricing control (I see them losing this suit), it could be a whole new mess very soon.

Reader 4
IAMBBL
0 Kudos

is this the email i got today stating i would have some credits coming from B&N

Distinguished Correspondent
yellowrosetx
0 Kudos

Judge rules Apple conspired to raise prices on e-books

http://news.yahoo.com/judge-says-apple-conspired-raise-prices-e-books-125645469.html