Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
Posts: 1,164
Registered: ‎01-01-2011
0 Kudos

Re: A Book Too Long to Read

BookReader75, I watched Madalyn Murray O'Hair on an interview a long time ago and she claimed that she read the whole Bible from first page to last, so, there will be plenty of religious people who will deny what she claimed while there will be plenty of atheists and agnostics who will believe what she said.

 

John Waters, the famous director, said in an interview that when he went to parochial school, the children in the neighborhood were told to throw stones at Madalyn Murray O'Hair's house.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
Posts: 976
Registered: ‎11-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A Book Too Long to Read

I keep staring at, well, ALL of Ken Follet's work.  I want to read them, but all those pages scare me  :smileyhappy:

 

I slogged through "The Passage" by Justin Cronin and "Under the Dome" by Stephen King recently which could have something to do with it.  I enjoyed them, but am looking for quick reads now :smileyvery-happy:

Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: A Book Too Long to Read

His books are long, but they are worth it. The stories keep me turning the pages and wanting more. I really loved "Pillars of the Earth" and encourage you to look past the number of pages.  :smileywink:


Schwa wrote:

I keep staring at, well, ALL of Ken Follet's work.  I want to read them, but all those pages scare me  :smileyhappy:

 

I slogged through "The Passage" by Justin Cronin and "Under the Dome" by Stephen King recently which could have something to do with it.  I enjoyed them, but am looking for quick reads now :smileyvery-happy:


 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
Posts: 366
Registered: ‎10-25-2009
0 Kudos

Re: A Book Too Long to Read

I totally concur.  The bible has some real pacing problems--especially in those sections/books where it give the descendents of descendents and who lived until x age...I was pretty young when I read the bible the first time and I kept expecting something deep or a story from all that raw information...if it was there, I missed it!  :smileyembarrassed:)

 

I enjoyed most of the psalms, which is odd because I've never gotten into poetry at all and they are similar (to me.)

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
Correspondent
kelly-leigh
Posts: 50
Registered: ‎01-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: A Book Too Long to Read

I tried reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, but it was just too long and slow! The story started out great, but I lost interest nearly halfway through. Kostova writes in immaculate detail, and it dragged out the story a bit. I'll try to go back to it in a few months.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell
Frequent Contributor
BookReader75
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎02-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: A Book Too Long to Read

Yeah, I know what you mean?  Although I'm 13 so I don't know who Madalyn Murray O' Hair is though?  Ha, anyways, I don't really get what your coming from? with your story as I said I'm still kinda young.  But eh, whatever, some might say they did, and they might have or not... Whatever!

 

But thanks for trying to explain.  :smileywink:

~Tristan Amaya
Frequent Contributor
BookReader75
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎02-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: A Book Too Long to Read

Yes, I remember when I was a kid I did not like it when they listed the geneology ha! :smileyvery-happy:

But yes, I like both Psalms and Proverbs (I like Proverbs alot!)

 

But yes, Its funny when I think about reading it when I was REALLY little.

~Tristan Amaya
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: A Book Too Long to Read

 


BookReader75 wrote:

Yes, I remember when I was a kid I did not like it when they listed the geneology ha! :smileyvery-happy:

But yes, I like both Psalms and Proverbs (I like Proverbs alot!)

 

But yes, Its funny when I think about reading it when I was REALLY little.


The geneologies can indeed be boring -- at least until someone calls your attention to how and perhaps why they differ for the same person (e.g., Luke and Matthew nativity stories) or to the surprising inclusion in an otherwise prosaic list.

 

 

The "short stories" of humans being human and of something we label God or Divinity being divine, with all their contradictions, improbabilities, probababilities, and journeying across lifetimes and generations are what keep me coming back to reading again -- whether in snippets or in longer wanderings.  Definitely, a child's view does not maximize the experience, or, at least, circumscribe it.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
BookReader75
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎02-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: A Book Too Long to Read

 


Peppermill wrote:

 


BookReader75 wrote:

Yes, I remember when I was a kid I did not like it when they listed the geneology ha! :smileyvery-happy:

But yes, I like both Psalms and Proverbs (I like Proverbs alot!)

 

But yes, Its funny when I think about reading it when I was REALLY little.


The geneologies can indeed be boring -- at least until someone calls your attention to how and perhaps why they differ for the same person (e.g., Luke and Matthew nativity stories) or to the surprising inclusion in an otherwise prosaic list.

 

 

The "short stories" of humans being human and of something we label God or Divinity being divine, with all their contradictions, improbabilities, probababilities, and journeying across lifetimes and generations are what keep me coming back to reading again -- whether in snippets or in longer wanderings.  Definitely, a child's view does not maximize the experience, or, at least, circumscribe it

 

 

 


 

 

 

Ha, I mean no offense but all those words were to big for me to comprehend...

But I DO know what you mean, I think I do appreciate the geneologys a LOT more because they ARE information that you need to know.  :smileyvery-happy:

 

~Tristan Amaya
Inspired Contributor
Bearsstar
Posts: 47
Registered: ‎01-30-2008

Re: A Book Too Long to Read

When I was younger, I thought that the Bible was to complicated with all the begats' and begots', but when I was living in TX my next door neighbor started talking to me about the Bible and he told me to read it like I would a book.  Take each book and read just that one, i.e.. Genesis think of it as a novel.  You have birth, marriage, death, murder, sex etc.  It encompasses almost all genres of the book world too.  I was surprised at how fast I read through it this time around, it was interesting.   

Jeanne G aka Bearsstar