Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

A Book Too Long to Read

Can you think of a book that you deem too long to read and you know that you could never read it from first page to last?

For me, it would be the Bible. 

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: A Book Too Long to Read

[ Edited ]

CasperAZ wrote:

Can you think of a book that you deem too long to read and you know that you could never read it from first page to last?

I will suggest the Bible is worth a cover-to-cover reading -- largely because one section informs and surprises another and because it influences so much other reading.  But, find a good guide for parsed reading.  There are many, many options and combinations.  Six to eighteen months is about right for the project.  Perhaps approach it as a collection of stories. It, too, lends itself to listening, but I wouldn't choose the King James version. The NIV is readily available; I am not certain if the Old Testament is available as CD's in NRSV.  (After all, much of it was probably originally preserved through oral transmission for considerable periods of time.)

Gone with the Wind  by Margaret Mitchell is a tome (~850 pp) on my bookshelves that I haven't convinced myself is worth the time it would take to read.  My impression is that there are better reads of that period and place for the time investment that would be required.  But, if LbW picks it as one of its reads in the months ahead, I may revisit that decision.

Nehru's Glimpses of World History, at 1,129 pages, is one that I am unlikely to ever read in its entirety.  But, it (like the Bible!) does consist of letters/chapters that can usefully be read in small groups.

In recent years I have tackled several long books that I had doubted I ever would, and in no case have I been disappointed:  Don Quixote (992 pp.),  War and Peace (Pevear / Volokhonsky Translation) (1,296 pp.), Underworld  (832 pp).  In each case, I aided the reading by the use of CD's to accompany the book, not necessarily the same translation.  I haven't succeeded yet with Proust or Joyce's Ulysses (512 pp), and so far I haven't considered tacking Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow (784 pp).  I have only completed abridged versions of The Tale of Genji (~1,200 pp unabridged).

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Correspondent
meg820
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

CasperAZ wrote:

I will suggest the Bible is worth a cover-to-cover reading -- largely because one section informs and surprises another and because it influences so much other reading.  But, find a good guide for parsed reading.  There are many, many options and combinations.  Six to eighteen months is about right for the project.  Perhaps approach it as a collection of stories.

Gone with the Wind  by Margaret Mitchell is a tome (~850 pp) on my bookshelves that I haven't convinced myself is worth the time it would take to read.  My impression is that there are better reads of that period and place for the time investment that would be required.  But, if LbW picks it as one of its reads in the months ahead, I may revisit that decision.

Nehru's Glimpses of World History, at 1129 pages, is one that I am unlikely to ever read in its entirety.  But, it (like the Bible!) does consist of letters/chapters that can usefully be read in small groups.

In recent years I have tackled several long books that I had doubted I ever would, and in no case have I been disappointed:  Don Quixote (992 pp.),  War and Peace (Pevear / Volokhonsky Translation) (1,296 pp.), Underworld  (832 pp).  In each case, I aided the reading by the use of CD's to accompany the book, not necessarily the same translation.  I haven't succeeded yet with Proust or Joyce's Ulysses, and so far I haven't considered tacking Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow (784 pp).  

I didn't think Gone With the Wind was that long of a read. I tend to enjoy historical fiction so maybe that's why it was such a difficult read. I think if you enjoyed the movie you would also like the book as well.

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

meg820 wrote:

Peppermill wrote (excerpt):

I didn't think Gone With the Wind was that long of a read. I tend to enjoy historical fiction so maybe that's why it was such a difficult read. I think if you enjoyed the movie you would also like the book as well.

Without going upstairs to check myself, 850 pp is what I remember for my hardcover.  One paperback version is listed at 960 pp!

I probably would enjoy it -- I do like the movie.  The question is really one of trade-offs.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Actually, I tend to have the opposite issue.  Until recently, I would rarely choose to read a book that was less than 400 pages.  700, 1000, even better!  I've been giving shorter books more of a chance lately, as I've been expanding into urban fantasy and YA fantasy, but I still prefer the door stoppers.  My most recent favorite book is The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson, which is 1,008 pages long.  I've read it three tims since it was released in late August.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

I have yet to find any book that I want to read but haven't because it may be too long.  Some of them are a pain to lug around if you have the DTB version but if it's available as an ebook then I figure I have no excuse.  I started reading Under the Dome (Stephen King) as a DTB/HC but went out and bought my nook just so I could get the ebook version of it - my arm was getting tired and sore carrying it around everywhere (ebook has 1,120 pages or the HC has 1,088 pages).  I have also been reading the Outlander series and it seems as though those books tend to run about 750 - 1,500 or so pages each.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

There is no book that is too long to read.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi CasperAZ, Your question is interesting and one that I would have answered differently as a teenager. Then I would have said, Yes! but I read War and Peace anyway. <lol> As an adult, I find many books that are challenges, but that challenge rarely has to do with the size of the book. The story may have too many rabbit trails, or may not stick to the story, making it tedious to read (I found that true of The Poe Shadow.) 

My husband and I read the Bible through each year, and we use a plan for that. Last year we read it chronologically which was really interesting. I am in the process of reading War and Peace again, and hope to tackle Anna Karenina later this year. I read years ago Gone With the Wind, and it is on my list to read again this year, as if The Dome. There are so many books out there, and I hope that I never let the number of pages stop me from a challenge.  :smileyhappy:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

I have read "Gone With the Wind" and "War and Peace" so I have already met my challenges as far as longest books are concerned. :smileyhappy:

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

I really haven't found an interesting book that was too long. I've only grumbled about a book being too long when it was assigned reading in school and I wanted to be outside playing and not doing homework. :smileywink:

On the other hand, I have found some shorter books that were a drudge and I tried my best to slog my way through them and gave up. Most of them because they sounded good and weren't, or were so poorly written that I just couldn't continue.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!