Reader
LKNgal
0 Kudos

Re: A Book You Sneaked When You Were a Kid

Valley of the Dolls - Pretty tame considering today's video games and MTV videos......

New User
ReadingOnTheBeach
0 Kudos

I took my dad's copy of "Howard Stern's Private Parts" and tried to read it. I was pretty young, maybe elementary school and I don't think I understood most of it......haha this is a really good question!!! I am really enjoying reading all of the posts and I just joined My B&N a few minutes ago!!

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

LKNgal wrote:

Valley of the Dolls - Pretty tame considering today's video games and MTV videos......

Ah, yes. And right about the same time was "The Stewardesses" and "Coffee, Tea or Me?"

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat wrote:

LKNgal wrote:

Ah, yes. And right about the same time was "The Stewardesses" and "Coffee, Tea or Me?"

Hey, I think I remember that movie (Coffee, Tea,...). Didn't it have Karen Valentine and John Davidson in it?

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

Hey, I think I remember that movie (Coffee, Tea,...). Didn't it have Karen Valentine and John Davidson in it?

Yup, it sure was. I always thought it a little funny because Karen Valentine was unable to overcome her "wholesome" image after Room 222. She also followed Sally Field as Gidget Lawrence in the made-for-TV "Gidget Grows Up."  Except for a few other made-for-TV suspense shows, she has little else to her acting credit.

And then there's John Davidson ..... ooooh, those dimples. :smileyhappy:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

kathylcsw, yes, I bought that book "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex but Were Afraid to Ask."  It was a sensation during the 70's and the author, David Reuben, was on Phil Donahue and the book answered so many taboo questions concerning the subject.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Contributor
Msmusicteacher
0 Kudos

How funny - I was having this exact discussion with a friend yesterday.  One of the books that I had to sneak was Forever by Judy Blume.  Usually my parents didn't care what I read but I think someone must have said something to them about that particular book because they didn't want me reading it - I think I was in about 6th or 7th grade at the time and read everything else by Judy Blume.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell

When I was a kid my mom and I would visit a neighbor. They had a copy of The Exorcist that I used to sneak a look at while mom sat in the kitchen blabbing and chain smoking for hours (they also had horrible television reception, so I can claim it was my environment that pressed me into criminal activity).

I actually sincerely regret reading any of it to this day. The language and images are burned into my mind, and I truly wish they were not because I find them profoundly disturbing. Should have listened to mom.

Contributor
rorifuzz
0 Kudos

My parents never discouraged me from reading any books, but there was one my mom kept from me (considering that we shared books so that we could talk about them). So one day I was home alone and starting reading it.  Ended up finishing it through that week when they weren't home. "Scruples" by Judith Krantz.  She never knew I read it until I was a little older and got through all the Barbara Cartland romances.  That's when she "found" it again and gave it to me.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat wrote:

pjpick wrote:

Yup, it sure was. I always thought it a little funny because Karen Valentine was unable to overcome her "wholesome" image after Room 222. She also followed Sally Field as Gidget Lawrence in the made-for-TV "Gidget Grows Up."  Except for a few other made-for-TV suspense shows, she has little else to her acting credit.

And then there's John Davidson ..... ooooh, those dimples. :smileyhappy:

I saw her in something else not too long ago, I think it was a movie where she was some older guys daughter's friend and they were having a romance. I just breezed by. She was quite popuar back then, wasn't she? I wonder if you can find reruns of Rm 222? I was a kid when that came out but remember it fairly well, for some reason the guy w/the red afro stands out in my memory.