Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
melouria
0 Kudos

Re: A Book You Sneaked When You Were a Kid

"The Long Hot Summer of George Adams".  It was a book my Mom was reading but kept in her dresser drawer.  Normally I was allowed to read whatever she was reading.  When I finally got up the nerve, and had the opportunity, I sneaked in her bedroom to check out the book.  Lots of "steamy" scenes.  I never read the whole book, just flipped through to the "good parts". LOL

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

pjpick, I purchased Season 1 on DVD of "Room 222" at Barnes and Noble, however, the distributor could have done a much better job at restoration.  There is hissing and faded out color throughout the episodes.  However, it was nostalgic to see this series once again.  Mr. Dixon (Lloyd Hanes) was a handsome man but he died young.  Karen Valentine was the gal that so many guys had a crush on when this series was on ABC.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

I can't think of a book that I read that I wasn't supposed to read.  I read the Richmond Lattimore translation of the Iliad at 12 and read Stephen King's It at 14.  I read classics that were thought "racy" by many.  My parents didn't make any books off limits to me.  They just made themselves available to answer questions if I had them.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

I think there should be many parents of kids from the 50s-70s who should be thankful that their kids snuck behind their backs to read those "forbidden" books. It kept them from having "the talk". I know I never got "the talk". I learned everything from books and spent most of my 7th and 8th grade years being horrified.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nerdgirljenn

I remember mine Jason and the Golden Fleece, the tales of Cupid and Psyche and heck any and most mythologies including ...

Mythology

At the time my mother belonged to a church group who thought all myths (be the Greek, Norse or whatever) was a form of santanism(and anyone who read these were going straight to hell)...so I had to hide these (it was 4th grade)...my mom chewed out the school librarian for allowing me to read these.  (pssst, little secret, the librarian was cool though, and even after my mom going ape, she still let me read them...whoohoo for that school librarian, I think she helped me with continue to do something even in the face of people saying you can't)

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Nerdgirljenn, I remember when I was a kid there were certain books and movies that if you ever associated yourself with them, you would burn in hell.  How awful to tell kids such nonsense!

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

I was a child of the 80's so please don't snicker...Master of the Game by Sidney Sheldon when I was around 10.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

msmoonlite wrote:

I was a child of the 80's so please don't snicker...Master of the Game by Sidney Sheldon when I was around 10.

He did write racy books for the time so I can see parents maybe not letting their children read them. It was a good book though! I read it too but I was probably in my early 20's.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

My conservative parents would never have had any racy books!  But when I would babysit (when I was in junior high), I would check out the bookshelves after the kids were in bed!  I remember there was one book in particular, but I don't remember the title - it might have been something like The Pretenders.  I think that one friend's parents or older sister had Everything You Always Wanted to Know..., and we tried glancing through it, but didn't really understand anything.

Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Sex 

Then later on, I think that I hid a few books in a drawer so my mother wouldn't see them:

Looking for Mr. Goodbar 

Once Is Not Enough    

Oh, and I loved Room 222!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Reader 4
SweetTNC
0 Kudos

I had to sneak and read Forever by Judy Blume.  I think that was the only book my mother would not aloow me to read.  A few years ago, my own daughter asked to read it and I reread it to "remember" what all of the fuss was about.