Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

A Book You Sneaked When You Were a Kid

I think all kids have a curiosity factor and want to sneak reading a book that their parents tell them are "off limits" or "not for children."

My taboo book that I used to sneak reading when I was a kid was one tucked in the bookshelf - "The Kinsey Report."  Although I couldn't comprehend everything it was about, I would still be snickering at some of the diagrams and sharing a "Wonder Years" moment with the adult words I would be coming across.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Correspondent
avid_reader1590
0 Kudos

Re: A Book You Sneaked When You Were a Kid

In eighth grade my friends and I had a copy of Peyton Place that was passed to who ever in our group that was on the way to study hall. I sure am glad that our mothers never found out. 

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

avid_reader1590, yes, you brought back memories about the book, "Peyton Place".  I remember the movie as well as the TV show were something kids were told not to watch.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

I read Lady Chatterley's Lover when I was in about 5th or 6th grade. It was quite an eye opener.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

"Fanny Hill." A group of us used to sneak off to the gravel pit and take turns reading it aloud in our most dramatic fashion while the other girls giggled and guffawed. We literally read that book to pieces. We had to use a hair ribbon to hold it together.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

For me it was Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex but Were Afraid to Ask. It was quite eye opening too. I can't remember exactly how old I was but probably about 12 or 13.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Everyone, please keep these confessions going.  What naughty kids we were. :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

My parents had the most benign books at the house so I really had no opportunity to "sneak" anything. I'm sure my brother was enjoying the National Geographics though with the Africa and South America stories. For me, I wasn't allowed to read Harlequins but found some at school and would read them during "SSR". They didn't care what you were reading as long as you were reading.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

I was lucky enough to not have to sneak books.  My parents usually weren't too concerned with what I was reading, they were just glad I was reading.  Since they didn't care what I read it wasn't a big deal for me to sneak something I didn't think I should be reading.  I would get strange looks from my teachers at school though - I read The Shining (Stephen King) in the fourth grade (I was reading above HS level by then and the books we were required to read in school were too easy for me, I would usually finish them in a day and have to wait a few weeks for the rest of the class to finish).  I'm sure a lot of kids out there are sneaking books because their parents say no to it because of what's on the cover.  It really surprises me how much parents feel the need to "police" what their kids read, every time I go into a book store there is at least one parent I hear telling their kid that they can't buy a book because they don't like the title, cover picture or whatever on it or they say they have to read the book first to see if it's appropriate and these are books from the kids section they are asking to buy.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI

When I was ten, I wrote a book report about a French woman and her nightgown. I don't remember the title of the book, but I do remember my mother being called to school.