Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

A Fact-Based Look at Self-Pub and Trad-Pub (Author Perspective)

From a trad author who's seriously considering self-pub for her next book:

http://writerunboxed.com/2013/04/30/the-new-era-of-self-publishing/

Definitely read the comments.  Courtney Milan has great info for anyone looking to self-pub the right way, and Donald Maass has a few reminders about what actually makes a book sell (he's done the analysis and has a book out about it, tho he doesn't mention that in the comments).

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Re: A Fact-Based Look at Self-Pub and Trad-Pub (Author Perspective)

Relying on e books only is an important issue. Does anyone forsee a time where self published authors will be able to self publish DTB books in a cost effective manner?
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Isn't that what Smashwords  and CreateSpace do?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TnTexas wrote:

Isn't that what Smashwords  and CreateSpace do?

Very few people make much of anything from self publishing DTB's. The economies of scale don't kick in until you're above a few thousand copies in a single run, so it's very difficult to do that kind of POD and turn a profit.

The price is definitely coming down, but I don't think we'll be seeing a vibrant POD industry threatening the established publishing houses for quite some time, if ever.

The much larger issue is, as always, discoverability. Very few bookstores (even indies) will take a POD author's books - they want the return credit system that they get with a publisher or wholesaler so they're not stuck with dead stock. Thus you have a bit of a Catch-22; the bookstores don't want a book without a market or a guarentee they can dump the book if it doesn't sell well, and the POD author has difficulty establishing an audience without the discoverability factor of bookstore placement. 

NOTE: I'm not saying it can't work and that it can't happen - it does. But it's VERY VERY difficult to do so.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Gotcha. Both must be more expensive than I thought they were.

And I agree with you about discoverability. That's a huge hurdle/challenge for self-pubbed authors. Huge.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Agree on this: The much larger issue is, as always, discoverability.

Discoverability is such a tough problem for indie authors.

I think whoever even comes up with a half-good solution for Discoverability is going to make a very big contribution and a LOT of money.

Readers want books too. It's almost as hard to find a good new book to read as it is for indie authors or even published authors to find readers.