Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Contributor
dfharri
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎02-03-2011
0 Kudos

A Letter to Mr. Lynch -- Your NOOK customer service is atrocious

Mr. Lynch:
 
You should understand the frustration I have just experienced in seeking warranty coverage for my NOOK.  This is the scond time that I have had to replace my NOOK for defects in build and quality.  When I called last night to ask that a new unit be shipped I specifically asked that I be sent a new unit.  The nice woman on the phone told me that she could not do anything with this request and that I needed to send an email to digital management  @ bn.com.
 
As soon as I got off the phone I emailed this address and asked that I be sent a new unit. Today I recieved an email saying that my certified pre owned unit had been shipped.
 
I called back the customer service line to express my displeasure and this is where I became really upset.  I was told that there is no one I can speak with.  The only way I can communicate is by email.  In fact, Chris, the customer supervior I spoke with told me that "we are an e-commerce company and we only speak by email."   What does this mean.  Apparently, he does not even have a phone number.  As a customer, I do not appreciate only being given the opportunity to speak with an inbox.
 
In the end, I realized that there is not a single person in your company that I could SPEAK with, who had the ability to manage my issue.  If this is the way that you want to treat your customers I am afraid you have lost one.  I will take my business to Amazon or Sony an of  course, I will let others no my disastisfaction.  The only recourse I apparently have is the voice I can find on the internet.  As an industry going through a tremendous shift, I would think you would doing all that you can to hold on to the customers that you have.  Apparently, that is not the case.
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
Posts: 1,164
Registered: ‎01-01-2011
0 Kudos

Re: A Letter to Mr. Lynch -- Your NOOK customer service is atrocious

dfharri, hopefully your letter addressed to Mr. Lynch will generate amends between you and Barnes and Noble.  Having a frustrating Customer Service experience exists in many businesses BUT it is important that all grievances be reported to Management so that Management can do something constructive because bad word of mouth travels and the customer is the most important factor with any business.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Contributor
dfharri
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎02-03-2011
0 Kudos

Re: A Letter to Mr. Lynch -- Your NOOK customer service is atrocious

Thanks for your words of encouragement.  If I were CEO I would want to know the experience of my customers.  The response I receive will be telling.  However, given the past 48 hours I am not encouraged and am getting close to buying a Kindle.  Almost time to say so long B&N.

New User
veryunhappyDS
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-11-2011
0 Kudos

Re: A Letter to Mr. Lynch -- Your NOOK customer service is atrocious

To Whom it May Concern,

Back on 11/25 I ordered 2 nooks and 2 replacement plans.  I received them on January 6, 2010

Order 120771822

 

In May of last year I sent one back for a Software issue.  That one was replaced.  On January 3,2011 I called about the other nook because the screen was bad.  They gave me an RMA 6101640692 for SN 1095230009130036  This nook was received in your warehouse on 1/6/2011 and not entered into you system until 1/11/2011  I called today to find out the status of my nook and was amazed at the lack of service or understanding of your process that your customer service has.  It took Sandra approx 20 minutes to even find the nook in your system.  After putting me on hold for “3 to 4 minutes” 4 times she told me that she had no way of finding out when it would be shipped out but that it would go out somewhere between 1/25/2011 and 2/01/2011.  Since she could not even find any information I asked to speak with a supervisor.  At that time I got to speak with Roy #2025535.  Roy spent the next hour putting me on hold and after that time he still could not tell me when the replacement would be sent out. 

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
Posts: 1,164
Registered: ‎01-01-2011
0 Kudos

Re: A Letter to Mr. Lynch -- Your NOOK customer service is atrocious

veryunhappyDS, there is no excuse for poor Customer Service.  This is only a suggestion on my part, but if you can, get the Manager's name and address and type a letter to him with "Executive Compaint" hi-lited on the bottom of the envelope along with "To Be Opened by Addressee Only" hi-lited underneath.  This will prevent the secretary from opening your Executive Complaint letter and your letter will have to be opened by the Manager.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A Letter to Mr. Lynch -- Your NOOK customer service is atrocious

 


CasperAZ wrote:

"To Be Opened by Addressee Only" hi-lited underneath.  This will prevent the secretary from opening your Executive Complaint letter and your letter will have to be opened by the Manager.


 

This will definitely not prevent the "secretary" from opening the letter.  

 

She'd be fired for handing the bossman a piece of correspondence not opened (at least in pretty much any business I've ever heard of - certainly large businesses.)

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A Letter to Mr. Lynch -- Your NOOK customer service is atrocious

 


CasperAZ wrote:

veryunhappyDS, there is no excuse for poor Customer Service.  This is only a suggestion on my part, but if you can, get the Manager's name and address and type a letter to him with "Executive Compaint" hi-lited on the bottom of the envelope along with "To Be Opened by Addressee Only" hi-lited underneath.  This will prevent the secretary from opening your Executive Complaint letter and your letter will have to be opened by the Manager.


I would think that has about as much power as the mattress tag that says "Do Not Remove Under Penalty of Law"...

 

►Without order there is chaos◄
Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A Letter to Mr. Lynch -- Your NOOK customer service is atrocious

 


Ya_Ya wrote:

 


CasperAZ wrote:

"To Be Opened by Addressee Only" hi-lited underneath.  This will prevent the secretary from opening your Executive Complaint letter and your letter will have to be opened by the Manager.


 

This will definitely not prevent the "secretary" from opening the letter.  

 

She'd be fired for handing the bossman a piece of correspondence not opened (at least in pretty much any business I've ever heard of - certainly large businesses.)


Well, probably not fired the first time, but she would definitely be told to open it, read it, and sort it with the rest of the mail.  Some bosses would just put it back on her desk without opening it or saying anything at all, figuring it was missed accidentally.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: A Letter to Mr. Lynch -- Your NOOK customer service is atrocious

 


Nallia wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

CasperAZ wrote:

"To Be Opened by Addressee Only" hi-lited underneath.  This will prevent the secretary from opening your Executive Complaint letter and your letter will have to be opened by the Manager.


This will definitely not prevent the "secretary" from opening the letter.  

 

She'd be fired for handing the bossman a piece of correspondence not opened (at least in pretty much any business I've ever heard of - certainly large businesses.)


Well, probably not fired the first time, but she would definitely be told to open it, read it, and sort it with the rest of the mail.  Some bosses would just put it back on her desk without opening it or saying anything at all, figuring it was missed accidentally.


However, depending on the organization of the company, a letter addressed to an executive may get it handled by someone assigned to handle such issues for that executive and that person may be responsible to that executive for their disposition and customer satisfaction.  So, I'd say it may be worth the try.

 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A Letter to Mr. Lynch -- Your NOOK customer service is atrocious

 


Peppermill wrote:

 

However, depending on the organization of the company, a letter addressed to an executive may get it handled by someone assigned to handle such issues for that executive and that person may be responsible to that executive for their disposition and customer satisfaction.  So, I'd say it may be worth the try. 


 

I can feel fairly comfortable that the "secretary" will be the person opening the letter.

I can say that in some companies, the Exec would even see the letter.

I can say that in most, the "secretary" will be the person writing the response letter to which the Exec signs his/her name.

I can say that in some companies, the Exec would call someone and have his/her rear-end.  In others, he'd/she'd have the "secretary" do it.

 

But like I said, in none of them would it be acceptable for the "secretary" to deliver unopened mail.

 

I never meant to imply that the issue wouldn't be addressed - just that it's highly unlikely that any high-level Exec ever opens his/her own mail.  Even when the "secretary" is out, someone else's "secretary" opens the mail, usually.

 

(All of this based on HR observation, of course.  In companies as small as 8 employees and as large as 20,000.)