Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4

Re: A Letter to Mr. Lynch -- Your NOOK customer service is atrocious

Peppermill wrote:

However, depending on the organization of the company, a letter addressed to an executive may get it handled by someone assigned to handle such issues for that executive and that person may be responsible to that executive for their disposition and customer satisfaction.  So, I'd say it may be worth the try.

All true.  Of course, the Executive Assistant will still usually be the one to open the letter and route it to the correct person/department to be dealt with.  :smileyhappy:

I think letters like this absolutely should be sent whenever a consumer feels the need to do so.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: A Letter to Mr. Lynch -- Your NOOK customer service is atrocious

Ya_Ya wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

However, depending on the organization of the company, a letter addressed to an executive may get it handled by someone assigned to handle such issues for that executive and that person may be responsible to that executive for their disposition and customer satisfaction.  So, I'd say it may be worth the try. 

I can feel fairly comfortable that the "secretary" will be the person opening the letter.

I can say that in some companies, the Exec would even see the letter.

I can say that in most, the "secretary" will be the person writing the response letter to which the Exec signs his/her name.

I can say that in some companies, the Exec would call someone and have his/her rear-end.  In others, he'd/she'd have the "secretary" do it.

But like I said, in none of them would it be acceptable for the "secretary" to deliver unopened mail.

I never meant to imply that the issue wouldn't be addressed - just that it's highly unlikely that any high-level Exec ever opens his/her own mail.  Even when the "secretary" is out, someone else's "secretary" opens the mail, usually.

(All of this based on HR observation, of course.  In companies as small as 8 employees and as large as 20,000.)

My sample is not as large as yours, Ya-ya!  I worked for three large companies (Fortune 100 types) during my career -- you might say four, since one was spun off from another.  I also did some work for others after retirement.  The process was different for each, and in some cases, depended upon the division of the company.  In the largest of them, it is highly unlikely a  secretary/executive assistant would have handled a response and its followup; a customer service-related department or a product manager or a market manager would have had that job, with reporting back to the executive originally contacted.

As Nallia implies, if one has a situation that one feels/judges warrants it, escalate to the highest level needed to resolve it.  I'll add, stay with it, be as patient as is reasonable, demand decent treatment, and be humane yourself.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy