Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

A Uniqe Character Name That You Will Never Forget

What is a character in literature whose name you will never forget?

My choice is "Quasimodo."

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Inspired Contributor
nymazz
0 Kudos

Re: A Uniqe Character Name That You Will Never Forget

Mine would have to be Lestat

Mazz

CasperAZ wrote:

What is a character in literature whose name you will never forget?

My choice is "Quasimodo."

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Frequent Contributor
krenea1
0 Kudos

Alba - the daughter in The Time Traveler's Wife

Tatiana - The Bronze Horseman

Karen Renea

Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back
Contributor
DeanaCal
0 Kudos

Strictly basing this on the uniqueness of the name:  Katniss Everdeen

IMHO, great book series.  Not my favorite of all time (that would be Stephen King's Dark Tower series), but the name will definitely stick with me.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill

Re: A Unique Character Name That You Will Never Forget

[ Edited ]

One that I first encountered as a quiz question is the name of the horse ridden by Vronsky in Anna Karenina.  (I didn't know the answer at the time, but Laurel, moderator of the Epics, Inc., board, did.)

The clip below from Sparknotes describes one view of the significance of this tragic, beautiful  equine character:

"Vronsky’s Racehorse

"On a literal level, Frou-Frou is the beautiful, pricey horse that Vronsky buys and then accidentally destroys at the officers’ race. On a figurative level, Frou-Frou is a clear symbol of Anna, or of Vronsky’s relationship with her—both of which are ultimately destroyed. Frou-Frou appears in the novel soon after Vronsky’s affair with Anna becomes serious and dangerous for their social reputations. Vronsky meets Anna just before the race, and his conversation with her makes him nervous and unsettled, impairing his performance. This link connects Anna with Frou-Frou still more deeply, showing how Vronsky’s liaison with Anna endangers him. The horse race is dangerous as well, as we find out when several officers and horses are injured during the run. Vronsky attempts to ride out both dangers—the horse race and the affair—with his characteristic coolness and poise, and he manages to do so successfully for a time. But his ability to stay on top of the situation is ultimately compromised by the fatal error he makes in sitting incorrectly on Frou-Frou’s saddle, ending with a literal downfall for both man and horse.

"The symbol of the racehorse implies much about the power dynamic between Anna and Vronsky. The horse is vulnerable and completely under Vronsky’s control, just as in an adulterous affair in 1870s Russian society it is the woman who runs the greater risk of being harmed. For Vronsky and the other officer riders, the race is a form of entertainment in which they choose to participate. But there is a deeper force leading both Anna and Frou-Frou into the race, and the stakes are much higher for them than for Vronsky—the race is a matter of life and death for both woman and horse. Ultimately, the horse’s death is a needless result of someone else’s mistake, just as Anna’s death seems unfair, a tragic waste of a beautiful life."

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Correspondent
cork_dork_mom
0 Kudos

My all time favorite memorable name  is Elner Shimfissle from Fannie Flagg's "Can't wait to get to heaven."

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven 

Highly recommend this story too.

cork_dork_mom
Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

It's not really that unique, but I had never heard it when I ran across it--I just loved the name and never forgot it:

Phoebe  -- it was in the series by Sandra West Prowell 

The Killing of Monday Brown

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

I think the name of "Diggory Venn" is a unique character name from "The Return of the Native."  I'm surprised some rock star hasn't usurped that name.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Inspired Contributor
dino_v
0 Kudos

Well, obviously, it is: Slartibartfast

--
dino
Contributor
Mister_Nobody
0 Kudos

Endeavor Morse (from the Inspector Morse novels).  That is a great name.

When you are at the end of your rope, come find me.