Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A survey - How do you decide where to buy ebooks

For Agency books, I automaticaly buy from B&N. For non-Agency books, I usually buy from Kobo because I usually have a coupon code. I don't usually look anywhere else. I have very rarely gotten an amazon book. I have a few freebies on my computer on Kindle for PC and I think I bought one other because it was ridiculously cheap. I really don't look for ebooks there or at iBooks. Apple irritated me a while back, so i'm waging my own personal little boycott. (It really isn't doing anyone any good, but it makes me feel bertter LOL) That and all we have is one very old ipod touch that could read their books. My son has gift card money on my account to use up so he buys the occasional app, music, or cartoon. I never bother even looking at Sony or Google. Sony because I hate their store. Maybe they improved it. Google because I usually forget they sell ebooks. I've been poking around Books On Board because they've been having some sales but I don't like their website. It's difficult to navigate and their search is worse than Kobo's.

 

I'm on a pretty strict budget, but yarn/wool and books are my only two frivolous expenses. The yarn usually gets made into something useful, even if $20 socks are a bit extravagant. We don't go to the movies. So the way we figure it, I get to splurge on books. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,790
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: A survey - How do you decide where to buy ebooks

frantastk wrote:

For Agency books, I automaticaly buy from B&N. For non-Agency books, I usually buy from Kobo because I usually have a coupon code. I don't usually look anywhere else.

 

Fran, sounds like you may be able to answer a question for me. I got a Kobo 25% discount in the email that states "any ebook". Is this limited to only non-agency titles? I'd have to search around for an agency title I care enough about to try to confirm one way or the other.

 

I mostly buy from B&N, but am starting to check pricing elsewhere more often. I'm not particularly loyal to B&N these days. I avoid Amazon's format if at all possible.

 

Where I'm torn is when B&N's price is the same as one of the other, smaller outfits. I'm leaning towards buying from others simply because I don't like B&N dominating the game any more than Amazon. However, buying from B&N is easiest.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,807
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: A survey - How do you decide where to buy ebooks


bobstro wrote:
frantastk wrote:

For Agency books, I automaticaly buy from B&N. For non-Agency books, I usually buy from Kobo because I usually have a coupon code. I don't usually look anywhere else.

 

Fran, sounds like you may be able to answer a question for me. I got a Kobo 25% discount in the email that states "any ebook". Is this limited to only non-agency titles? I'd have to search around for an agency title I care enough about to try to confirm one way or the other.

 

I mostly buy from B&N, but am starting to check pricing elsewhere more often. I'm not particularly loyal to B&N these days. I avoid Amazon's format if at all possible.

 

Where I'm torn is when B&N's price is the same as one of the other, smaller outfits. I'm leaning towards buying from others simply because I don't like B&N dominating the game any more than Amazon. However, buying from B&N is easiest.


It's always been limited to non agency books, the settlement shouldn't change that.  For the publishers that settled it looks like only HC has renegotiated the contracts because the others are still showing as priced by the publisher. 

 

I don't think you have to worry about BN dominating the market, I doubt that will ever happen, especially since with ePub format, books can be read on various devices.  I don't even think that's part of their business plan.

Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A survey - How do you decide where to buy ebooks


bobstro wrote:
frantastk wrote:

For Agency books, I automaticaly buy from B&N. For non-Agency books, I usually buy from Kobo because I usually have a coupon code. I don't usually look anywhere else.

 

Fran, sounds like you may be able to answer a question for me. I got a Kobo 25% discount in the email that states "any ebook". Is this limited to only non-agency titles? I'd have to search around for an agency title I care enough about to try to confirm one way or the other.

 

I mostly buy from B&N, but am starting to check pricing elsewhere more often. I'm not particularly loyal to B&N these days. I avoid Amazon's format if at all possible.

 

Where I'm torn is when B&N's price is the same as one of the other, smaller outfits. I'm leaning towards buying from others simply because I don't like B&N dominating the game any more than Amazon. However, buying from B&N is easiest.


The Kobo coupons only work on non-agency titles. As of a couple days ago (I haven't checked for a few days) Kobo hadn't changed the Harpercollins titles over yet, either. I usually skim through my wishlist and see if I can find anything (I keep my wishlist on my netbook in an excel file). I do hate the search on Kobo's site. 

Contributor
Arwym
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎04-18-2012
0 Kudos

Re: A survey - How do you decide where to buy ebooks

[ Edited ]

Option 3), and I usually seek advise and offers throgh the awesome Mobileread forums. And I often find that buying from Kobo, Smashwords and other sites is better. Right now, B&N doesn't seem to offer any sort of discount codes for eBooks; everything seems aimed at traditional books and other products. Kobo always has some discount code I can use, and many of the books have lower prices over there. I love Kobo, and I probably would have a Kobo eReader right now were it not because I really love my NST and it cost me only $85 at the local Kmart (plus, the community rocks!).

 

Now, the game would change if the LendMe feature was more generous. I wish I could lend my books to friends. Right now I can only lend a few books, and only once, and that sucks. Yeah, I could strip off the DRM (I dislike DRM) and distribute the ebook among my friends if I wanted, but I don't do it because, right now, I prefer to support the authors.

Looking to meet other manga and comic enthusiasts!

Follow me on Goodreads.com!
Inkmesh, eBook search engine - Good for comparing prices!
Correspondent
JoanieGranola
Posts: 172
Registered: ‎11-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: A survey - How do you decide where to buy ebooks

In the beginning (N1E), I would shop; especially after the Agency 5 fiasco. However, I found that two of the places I checked where subsidiaries of B&N and didn't save me any money (there were "membership fees" and bulk buying involved and that was too much math for me), and the other prices I found weren't low enough for me to buy and have to side load (I didn't have much trouble side loading a few things on my N1E, but it's more work than I care for [I'm technically inept]).

 

I usually just keep wish lists and my eye on books at B&N. Occasionally, I will check Kobo - but most of what I want is a new release and the prices are the same. As long as I can wait a year or more, the prices usually go down to something that I can live with paying.

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
Posts: 172
Registered: ‎11-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: A survey - How do you decide where to buy ebooks


Seabreeze-1 wrote:

Taxes on ebooks?


B&N started charging tax on ebooks in Connecticut within the last two years. I was a little taken aback when I noticed the tax on the receipt. After some digging, it is state dependent. From what I can tell, the law is based on if the company has a physical presence in the state, then it is supposed to collect tax.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,807
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: A survey - How do you decide where to buy ebooks


JoanieGranola wrote:

Seabreeze-1 wrote:

Taxes on ebooks?


B&N started charging tax on ebooks in Connecticut within the last two years. I was a little taken aback when I noticed the tax on the receipt. After some digging, it is state dependent. From what I can tell, the law is based on if the company has a physical presence in the state, then it is supposed to collect tax.


And if ebooks are a taxable item.  In my state, ebooks are not considered a taxable Item so even bough BN has a physical presence ebooks are not taxed.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,644
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A survey - How do you decide where to buy ebooks


bklvr896 wrote:

JoanieGranola wrote:

Seabreeze-1 wrote:

Taxes on ebooks?


B&N started charging tax on ebooks in Connecticut within the last two years. I was a little taken aback when I noticed the tax on the receipt. After some digging, it is state dependent. From what I can tell, the law is based on if the company has a physical presence in the state, then it is supposed to collect tax.


And if ebooks are a taxable item.  In my state, ebooks are not considered a taxable Item so even bough BN has a physical presence ebooks are not taxed.


WA has a destination tax, so anything bought in or being delivered to a WA residence is taxed, including ebooks.  So even though Kobo doesn't have a presence here (AFAIK), I still have to pay tax on the ebooks I buy there.

Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎06-30-2012
0 Kudos

Re: A survey - How do you decide where to buy ebooks

 

#3 .  I compare B&N, Kindle and Google's Play store.  

 

Is there a web site where I can compare eBook prices for a certain title?