Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Re: Aaron Swartz, an omen?

bobstro wrote:

doncr wrote:

It's sad that this person ended up taking his own life, .... Whatever put him over the edge, ...

From a NY TImes article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/technology/aaron-swartz-internet-activist-dies-at-26.html?ref=tech... :

Recent years had been hard for Mr. Swartz, Ms. Norton said, and she characterized him “in turns tough and delicate.” He had “struggled with chronic, painful illness as well as depression,” she said, without specifying the illness, but he was still hopeful “at least about the world.”

Whatever the"chronic, painful illness" was, it apparently was separate from the depression, and this may have been a contributing factor to his suicide.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: Equal treatment: let them all go free

I do note that he's not talking about making vampire novels and MP3 music available to the masses for free. He is troubled that "... The world's entire scientific and cultural heritage, published over centuries in books and journals, is increasingly being digitized and locked up by a handful of private corporations."

I think a good part of the problem may be there, because much of this content was protected by the same laws that apply to teenage vampire novels and Justin Bieber songs.  If he were not prosecuted for this hacking then it becomes more difficult to prosecute others for downloading other protected material.  Higher courts take a dim view of selective prosecution.  As for the prosecution being excessive, it is routine to file a laundry list in order to have bargaining chips in plea bargaining, charges that can be dropped as part of the agreement.

This entire industry is for the most part younger than he was, and the laws have certainly not kept pace.  This case will become part of the evolution of the industry, and the laws that cover it.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

patgolfneb wrote:

Deesy, wasn't there a big flap that the AG was pressuring the assistant attorneys improperly on prosecution decisions at the end of the Bush era? Certainly in my lifetime every administration has an agenda. How people respond depends on whether they support the agenda. Big oil in Louianna spent millions defeating judges who had ruled they were liable for refinery pollution in a class action suit. The new judges reversed the decisions. To my surprise states with elected judges tend to have the most problems. I would have assumed appointed judges, obligated to their appointing official or party would be more of an issue, but historically that doesn't seem to be so.

In 2005 and 2006, mostly moderate Republican U.S. attorneys who showed any degree of independence from the extremist policies of the AG were summarily dismissed in a number of states, including, as I recall,  New Mexico, California, Nevada, Missouri, Michigan, Maryland and West Virginia. 

"This article about dismissed U.S. attorneys summarizes the circumstances surrounding a number of U.S. attorneys dismissed from office in the United States Department of Justice in 2006. Eight were dismissed In December 2006, and others may have been forced out of office under similar circumstances in 2005 and 2006. The manner of the firings, the congressional response to them, and the explanations offered by Bush administration officials are aspects of a political controversy starting in the first quarter of 2007. As of May 2007 a clear explanation of why the attorneys were dismissed had not been put forward by the Bush administration or the Department of Justice leadership. There are in total 93 U.S. attorneys that serve 94 Federal district courts (two Pacific island territory districts share one attorney)."  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dismissed_U.S._attorneys_summary

The law had nothing to do with any of it.  Politics was 100% responsible, and it showed the nation that "equal protection under the law" is a myth in the United States today. 

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

Re: Equal treatment: let them all go free

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

Government records for a fee

MacMcK1957 wrote:
There are many providers of online content, with an interest in preventing a free-for-all distribution.  There is a lot of money to be made in aggregating and distributing such content, and a number of major players doing so.  ...  Does that mean they should be forced to give everything away for free just because someone managed to set up a server in a closet at their location?  I don't see it.

Interestingly (and unfortunately, in my opinion), this is increasingly being done with government records.  It used to be that you could go to a state agency and make a request for a public record, and if the work was not too great and no privacy issues were involved, you could get the information you requested for free, or at the very least, a small fee.  Lately it seems that these data aggregators have approached governments, and offered to organize and digitize government records, and provide them to the government and/or the public for a fee.  Sometimes the fee is reasonable for private citizens, and sometimes it isn't.

I don't like the trend.

This also happens at the Federal level, but there is a loophole:  the Freedom of Information Act:

in 1978, I received an amateur radio license with a known callsign.  A few years ago, I wanted the details (eg, date) of that application.  Going to the FCC web site, I was referred to the private contractor who now maintains the data, and would provide the information for a nice fee (plus the expense of travel time to their data depot ! ).

So, I filed an FoIA request.  The rules are quite nice for individuals not looking to make a profit off the information:  As I recall, the first hour of search (and I think the first 100 pages) is free, and subsequent effort is billed at an extremely economical rate (an accredited news organization gets an even better deal, I think).

End result:  it took about a month, but the result was free.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716

deesy58 wrote:

Does anybody on this forum really believe that US Attorneys don't decide which cases they will prosecute ALL THE TIME?? 

Yup.  Judges and US Marshalls aren't immune from political pressure.  It's been nearly 30 years since Gordon Kahl was in a shootout with some US Marshalls and other law enforcement officers that had some rather questionable history of the charges and the conduct of officers.  Abuses of power for political reasons are not uncommon.  It happens in all branches of the goverment and in the private sector.  They just shouldn't be tolerated...by anyone.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

Does anybody on this forum really believe that US Attorneys don't decide which cases they will prosecute ALL THE TIME?? 

Yup.  Judges and US Marshalls aren't immune from political pressure.  It's been nearly 30 years since Gordon Kahl was in a shootout with some US Marshalls and other law enforcement officers that had some rather questionable history of the charges and the conduct of officers.  Abuses of power for political reasons are not uncommon.  It happens in all branches of the goverment and in the private sector.  They just shouldn't be tolerated...by anyone.

Ruby Ridge and Waco were both unnecessary tragedies that could easily have been avoided but for the arrogance of power exhibited by politicians disguising themselves as law enforcement.  Medina was just as unnecessary as the others, but some politician on a "power trip" wanted to make a statement.  For some strange reason, the name "Janet Reno" keeps coming to mind.  :smileymad:  Can't figure out why ...

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

This message has been moved for Violation of Community Guidelines.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18

Ya do realize ya don't have to read it, don't ya?
Freedom is not free.
Inspired Contributor
MrsSplatzenberger
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gb18 wrote:
Ya do realize ya don't have to read it, don't ya?

One does not fight the good fight against outside conditions, it would be foolish to stand in the snow and condemn it at the same time. Or would it?

Equally foolish, to stand across the steet and proclaim your neighbor an idiot for living in it, while you are standing in the same spot. Even your boots wont stop your toes from freezing off.

If you want to change the world (to edify), your ideals must be set aright, which requires no discussions with your peers.

As the suicide mind cries out against the flexability of his/her life, and the seeming chaos and clutter. They cannot cope with fluidity, as their mind is rigid as rock, and things must be thus and so. Worsening the body and breaking it down, the physical sensations will harden and seem to cooborate with the mind. One will see no way out.

While these beliefs may serve to change a piece of human history in some cases, they come from a broken psyche and certainly not of the highest ideals for self and the race. They appear valid to such a person, but come from misplaced aggression and anger.

The inherent dignity and grace of the being is bastardized in a cloud of distortion, and denial as in the case with Mr Swartz. As with most of these individuals the impetus for change was (natural), and compelling, however the belief system was in conflict both from inside himself, and outside as he see's these actions as morally wrong, and as the world climate would dictate. Its a hide and seek, until an explosion of energy transforms thought.

The discussion here is from the viewpoint of what you see, and what you see is in itself a lie. Because seeing the trail end of an event, one that has already happened, you are too late, You judge from an afterthought, and not an understanding, which has been only introduced above.  .

Have a great day !