Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

Re: Agency model refunds? Civil trial proposed settlement

Quick question. What if I never recieved the e-mail?  I checked my spam just in case, but it has been cleaned out and only has e-mails from the last 10 days.  I've been buying e-books since 2010, and I'm sure at least a couple of the several hundred I have meet the requirements for a small settlement.  Should I be worried that I didn't really look at acting until now? (I guess it is the ID part of the e-mail that surprised me, and has me wondering).  I was just operating under the assumption that it would magically appear as a credit in my B&N account, but with the statement that it would have to be activated, now I'm a little concerned if I was actually included or left out for some reason.

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Re: Agency model refunds? Civil trial proposed settlement

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

The Court will hold a hearing on February 8, 2013 at 10 a.m. to consider  whether to approve the Settlements. 

For more detailed information: Call 1-866-621-4153 or Visit www.EbooksAGSettlements.com

I just wanted to point out the above phrases from 5ivedom's post that I noticed in my own email (the exact same text, to make that clear)  The final court date is TOMORROW.  It hasn't happened yet.  Everyone chill. 

Also, in Part 1 of the email: "If the Court gives final approval to the Settlements, we expect to be able to send you your gift certificate in the first half of 2013. "  That's first half of 2013.  It's very possible we might not have the credits until June 30th.  Once again, everyone chill.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

Re: And then there was one

[ Edited ]

Macmillan has now settled. Apple is now the only remaining defendant with a June trial date.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/08/usa-ebooks-macmillan-settlement-idUSL1N0B840M20130208?feed...
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Did Penguin also settle?

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Did Penguin also settle?

Yes they setteled in December.

See link posted above or the Ars Technia story that appeared today.

Quick Quote from Apple's John Sargent:

" As each publisher settled, the remaining defendants became responsible not only for their own treble damages, but also possibly for the treble damages of the settling publishers (minus what they settled for). A few weeks ago I got an estimate of the maximum possible damage figure. I cannot share the breathtaking amount with you, but it was much more than the entire equity of our company.”

Which, since Apple started this whole deal, is fine by me.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

More than the value of Apple? I realize stock price and equity are different measures of value. Apple has over a billion dollars in cash, and a stock value of multiple billions. If those are the potential damages that seems to me excessive. I am no fan of big business but? Has there ever been such a large judgement and did it survive appeals?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

It's fine by me too.

All of Apple's 'activist' investors are greedily looking for a share of Apple's cash hoard. Would be divine justice on so many levels if it ended up going to people who bought ebooks instead of to Wall Street.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

You mean the lawyers who Bezos hired for this witch hunt, right? 

The class in class actions never see much of the results.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

More than the value of Apple? I realize stock price and equity are different measures of value. Apple has over a billion dollars in cash,  

But surely you aren't suprised by a lawyer stretching the truth are you? 

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

More than the value of Apple? I realize stock price and equity are different measures of value. Apple has over a billion dollars in cash, and a stock value of multiple billions. If those are the potential damages that seems to me excessive. I am no fan of big business but? Has there ever been such a large judgement and did it survive appeals?

John Sargent is the CEO of Macmillan. When he refers to "our company," I'm fairly certain he means Macmillan, not Apple. It would be interesting to know Macmillan's current equity.