Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: And then there was one

Tim40744 wrote:

John Sargent is the CEO of Macmillan. When he refers to "our company," I'm fairly certain he means Macmillan, not Apple. It would be interesting to know Macmillan's current equity.

Yeah, my bad for misattributing that to Apple. 

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

Macmillan has now settled. Apple is now the only remaining defendant with a June trial date.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/08/usa-ebooks-macmillan-settlement-idUSL1N0B840M20130208?feed...

Is that URL complete?  Here is the message I receive if I click on it:

Page Not Found

Our apologies, the requested page was not found. Please double-check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization. If you're having trouble finding a page in Reuters, please choose from the options below:

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

You mean the lawyers who Bezos hired for this witch hunt, right? 

The class in class actions never see much of the results.

Umm ... the last time I checked, it was the US Government, and not Amazon, who had sued Apple and the publishers.  Do you believe that qualifies as a "class action"? 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

Umm ... the last time I checked, it was the US Government, and not Amazon, who had sued Apple and the publishers.  Do you believe that qualifies as a "class action"? 

My understanding of litigation is shaky, but would we have been named recipient if it wasn't a class action?  I seem to recall the wording in one email did specifically mention class action, though I may be mistaken.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,954
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

There's two trials going on right now - a federal (DOJ) criminal investigation and a civil Class Action.

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

There's two trials going on right now - a federal (DOJ) criminal investigation and a civil Class Action.

Maybe I should join the suit, I was promised a $5000 gift card from a very kind CS agent when I reported my .99 cent weather app didnt work. (temp was off a few degrees)

And to this day, (about a week) I havent received it, but honestly i didnt check todays mail yet.

Does anyone know if I can use my BN gift card at JC Penney?

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

If you got an email about it, you're part of the only suit likely to give you anything.

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

I would like to sue Kmart because of Barnes and Noble books, possible?

[ Edited ]

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

If you got an email about it, you're part of the only suit likely to give you anything.

My converse with BN support few days ago, verbatum ::

Hi, I bought this weather app, for 99 cents and its off by 1 degree and Im pissed, can i get a refund?

CS : I can do better than that sir, Im so sorry for your trouble, I will process a $5000 gift card for you, just a moment"

Ok, thanks, can I use it at Bestbuy for electronics ?

CS : Yes. Its a BN gift card and you can use it anywhere. Including Disneyworld Fl.

Ok, hurry up Ive havent got all day.

CS Sir, you'll receive it in 7-10 days, Is there anything......

Click

So, if I dont receive it in a few days can I sue? Join with Apple or somethin? (i recorded it on my phone but then my phone accident happened and it fell in the toilet and stopped working, it just makes a gurgle sound, so i have no proof unless it dries out)

Thanks for your help guys.

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Re: I would like to sue Kmart because of Barnes and Noble books, possible?

The original settlement was described to us last summer.  Since that time, two more publishers have settled.  Apple is still holding out.  If the payout pot is likely to grow larger because more publishers (and, possibly, Apple) will be contributing to it, how is it possible for anybody to determine how much might be paid out to those consumers who were "damaged"? 

I do not believe that the DOJ actually filed any criminal charges against anybody in this case.  In fact, the Department of Justice filed a civil suit under the antitrust laws of the United States -- primarily the Sherman Act.  Does anybody have information to the contrary? 

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: I would like to sue Kmart because of Barnes and Noble books, possible?

deesy58 wrote:

The original settlement was described to us last summer.  Since that time, two more publishers have settled.  Apple is still holding out.  If the payout pot is likely to grow larger because more publishers (and, possibly, Apple) will be contributing to it, how is it possible for anybody to determine how much might be paid out to those consumers who were "damaged"? 

I do not believe that the DOJ actually filed any criminal charges against anybody in this case.  In fact, the Department of Justice filed a civil suit under the antitrust laws of the United States -- primarily the Sherman Act.  Does anybody have information to the contrary? 

I checked the estimated amount we'd get back on the site mentioned in the email recently (post Macmillian settling) and it gave a figure of 30 cents for every non best selling ebook, and a dollar twenty for every best seller.  I don't think the figures will change as a result of publishers settling, since the case was about setting a price I imagine the amount we get back is the difference in the prices.