Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon, 725 years, and Price to Earnings - Thoughts?

This:

Now, if eBooks end up going DRM-free eventually, it leads to a very interesting development for companies like BN. Kindle devices can read unprotected (non-DRM'd) mobipocket files natively, so BN could pull a Fictionwise/Baen/Gutenberg/etc. and offer to fufill ebook orders in multiple formats, including Mobipocket. Thus, BN can sell Kindle books even without Amazon's approval.

This: *****Thus, BN can sell Kindle books even without Amazon's approval.*****

The battle is not on whether or not you can get readers to transfer over their existing book collections. Who cares? The devices aren't the profit centers. Let other companies make the devices.

The real battle is - Who will sell books to these customers.

So Amazon's REAL advantage is NOT that they are locking in customers.

It's that everyone else isn't willing to figure out how to sell books to Kindle owners.

I'm not quite sure how to explain it.

Think of it as how Apple started off with iPods and then went to iPhone and then to iPad. Now phones and tablets are becoming more important than PCs.

So Apple took on Microsoft by not taking on Microsoft directly.

In a similar way, the way to take on Amazon is to not go at it the way it wants you to go at it.

Obviously, those books in Kindle format are locked. And the format is not going to be shared and apps are not going to be allowed on Kindle and Kindle Fire that read books from other stores.

It doesn't matter.

The REAL money is in readers' FUTURE book purchases.

So all you have to do is figure out how to sell books that can be read on any device.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Omnigeek wrote:

Now, all bets are off once Amazon's patent on AZW expires and customers can legally convert their library to another format but that will be some years down the road.

There isn't a patent on Amazon's DRM - they simply own it and refuse to licence it to anyone - and as Bezos says in his interviews, they're happy with it that way.

Now, if eBooks end up going DRM-free eventually, it leads to a very interesting development for companies like BN. Kindle devices can read unprotected (non-DRM'd) mobipocket files natively, so BN could pull a Fictionwise/Baen/Gutenberg/etc. and offer to fufill ebook orders in multiple formats, including Mobipocket. Thus, BN can sell Kindle books even without Amazon's approval.

Even more interestingly, since AZW and KF8 are just Mobipocket files with a proprietary DRM wrapper, there's almost nothing Amazon can do to block such an act except require DRM on any file opened on their Kindle. And doing so would cause such a backlash in the tech journalism industry that it would erase pretty much any goodwill Amazon cultivated over the years (and if you don't belive that can happen, look at Google's impending closure of Reader).

Naturally, it works both ways (Amazon could offer books in EPUB for NOOKs and such), but it would be a very interesting development.

As long as prices are set by the publishers people would have no reason to switch to B&N hardware.  It just doesn't offer anything to my knowledge worth switching for.  Amazon, on the other hand, offers a tie in to Prime which is most likely a HUGE moneymaker for them.  B&N sells books and unspecial hardware.  Amazon sells EVERYTHING.  B&N doesn't stand a chance.  I'm all for competition but I don't know how many people I've told that I own a Nook and they say "what is that"?  I tell them it's like a Kindle but from B&N and the light goes on behind their eyes.  

Unless B&N comes up with some sort of gimmick or a new idea they're gone as far as I can see.  

►Without order there is chaos◄
flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AlanNJ wrote:

As long as prices are set by the publishers people would have no reason to switch to B&N hardware.  It just doesn't offer anything to my knowledge worth switching for.  Amazon, on the other hand, offers a tie in to Prime which is most likely a HUGE moneymaker for them.  B&N sells books and unspecial hardware.  Amazon sells EVERYTHING.  B&N doesn't stand a chance.  I'm all for competition but I don't know how many people I've told that I own a Nook and they say "what is that"?  I tell them it's like a Kindle but from B&N and the light goes on behind their eyes.  

Unless B&N comes up with some sort of gimmick or a new idea they're gone as far as I can see.  

Please, tell me more about how you can take your Kindle into an Amazon store and get in-person support and same-day warranty claims.

Also, NOOK hardware has generally been better than Amazon hardware for a number of years now.

And finally, publishers (generally) don't set prices anymore. And legally can't for 2 years.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Please, tell me more about how you can take your Kindle into an Amazon store and get in-person support and same-day warranty claims.

Also, NOOK hardware has generally been better than Amazon hardware for a number of years now.

And finally, publishers (generally) don't set prices anymore. And legally can't for 2 years.

I have had a Nook since it first came out.  I have NEVER needed to take it into a store for support and I don't ever plan to.  I only live 10 minutes from a B&N.  The only time I go into the store is when I'm purchasing a Nook.  I understand that other people do go tot he store for support but I'll bet that most don't.  B&N wouldn't have the support staff to support the lines.  Read the forums.  Most people call 1-800-the-book first and only go to the store as a last resort.

NOOK hardware may be better but that's meaningless if people don't care or don't know about it.

There are still, to my knowledge, many books with prices set by the publisher.

I realize you work for B&N but unless they make some changes they are not going to survive.  I would love for B&N to survive as I'm a firm believer in competition but they're not going to if they continue they way they're going.  

(Just my opinion of course)

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

flyingtoastr wrote:

There isn't a patent on Amazon's DRM - they simply own it and refuse to licence it to anyone - and as Bezos says in his interviews, they're happy with it that way.

. . .

Just curious ... If there is no patent on Amazon's DRM, what exactly is it that they refuse to "license" to anyone?  What would protect them from their competitors simply "reverse engineering" the Amazon DRM so that an Amazon book could be read with any e-reader? 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's a good question PatGolfNeb.

I'm not sure how their DRM works.

Obviously it can be stripped since people do it.

However, can it be replicated? I'm not sure.