Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Amazon Buys Liquavista

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57584230-94/amazon-buys-samsungs-color-e-ink-company/

Looks like we can expect a Liquavista-screened kindle.

I don't know whether to cheer or cry.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon Buys Liquavista

Maybe it'll light a fire under B&N to get going with a new eink device.

Though Liquavista wasn't able to produce a marketable device on their own, nor under Samsung.  They've had nearly two years since they were showing off their device in 2011. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

keriflur wrote:

I don't know whether to cheer or cry.

For me it's cry.

I won't buy a Liquavista Kindle because Amazon doesn't get my money.  Nobody else will make a Liquavista device, because Amazon owns the technology.

:smileysad:

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

If Samsung thought there was a big future in this tech why sell? Probably they couldn't make a business case as an LCD replacement. Where's the advantage for reader only devices? If the screen quality, cost, worked Samsung wouldn't have sold.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

The technology isn't that impressive. Liquavista's screens are, in my opinion, not as good as Qualcomm Mirasol (though those aren't very good either).

The whole thing is that IZGO LCD screens will eliminate a lot of the advantages that eInk has over LCD. So if IZGO screens come out before Liquavista and other color eInk screens then all these technologies have a tough fight ahead of them.

1) http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/120413.html

2) http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/136736/wsj-apple-investing-in-sharp-plant-for-ipad-3-displays

3) https://www.semiconportal.com/en/archive/news/main-news/sharp-to-introduce-new-igzo-te.html

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

The technology isn't that impressive. Liquavista's screens are, in my opinion, not as good as Qualcomm Mirasol (though those aren't very good either).

The whole thing is that IZGO LCD screens will eliminate a lot of the advantages that eInk has over LCD. So if IZGO screens come out before Liquavista and other color eInk screens then all these technologies have a tough fight ahead of them.

The problem with IZGO LCD is that it's LCD - it's still backlit, with all the drawbacks of backlit.  It doesn't act as a paper replacement, it's just another screen.  It's therefore not a replacement for eink.

Liquavista and Mirasol are both reflective screen technologies (i.e. NOT backlit, not LCD).  Whle I agree that Mirasol was the better of the two, it's no longer in dev - Qualcomm killed it.  That leaves color eink and Liquavista as the only color reflective screen technologies publicly known to be in dev.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Good point.

That's a very good point.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

I still don't see the need for color e-ink.  All the DTB's I own are in black and white and I never had the desire for color.  That said, I can see the need for magazines and color.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
byter67
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I own booth kindle and nook eInk devices. Neither does an especially good job on illustrations, photos, maps, and charts which are often a component of many technical texts. These kinds of graphics, both color and black and white, only do well on an LCD type display, so as a consequence I necessarily use my LCD readers for books in which such graphics play an important part. If color eInk could overcome such limitations this would be a huge plus for reading such books on those smaller, lightweight, and more transportable devices. And as you point out, magazines too rely on color to a large extent.

Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

I'll put up with an LCD display for reading eBooks, but I want the longer battery life of an eInk display when I'm not consuming color content (magazines, web, videos, graphic novels, etc.) 

What I'd really like is a device with an LCD and an eInk screen and let me choose which I'd like to use to view the content I'm consuming.  The eInk display could be on the flap of the case cover and I could fold it over to use eInk vs. LCD.  Having the eInk screen/case cover that has the magnet snap function like the MS Surface tablets do would be a cool add-on for a tablet.