Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: Amazon to acquire GoodReads - thoughts?

Goodreads is largely what it is based on the contributions of a volunteer community. How much of that community wants to volunteer for Amazon? My guess would be not very many.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

MacMcK1957 wrote:
Goodreads is largely what it is based on the contributions of a volunteer community. How much of that community wants to volunteer for Amazon? My guess would be not very many.

Amazon doesn't care.

They don't want to continue the community. Their goal here is simple - get people's reading habits and past purchases (mine their "shelves") and get their content (mine their reviews). Everything outside of that is tangential. I'm willing to bet we'll see a change soon after this deal closes that Amazon and GR accounts are being merged so it makes it nice and easy for their advertising algorithims to scrape your personal information.

Again, just like what happened with Shelfari.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

In other words they're buying it to strip mine it and then shut it down.
flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

Oh they won't shut it down. It will continue to limp along for years just like Shelfari without so much as a fixing of their damn broken CSS files (drives me bonkers every time I visit that site). But again, Amazon isn't in this for the community - they paid $150 million to get their hands on your personal information so they can advertise more effectively.

patgolfneb

It's more than data. Look at their past actions and aquisitions. Amazon is trying to dominate search and control traffic. If every time someone googles books, music, movies sites owned by them pop up and those sites funnel business to Amazon, Amazon wins. It is the internet equivalent of mass market TV ads. If you control enough of the market generating traffic is all that matters, because it gets funneled to you.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Flyingtoaster, where did you see the $150 million figure.

$150 million is very interesting. That's nearly $10 per subscriber.

PatGolfNeb, I think it's EXACTLY what you wrote

Amazon wants to buy more and more search channels and marketing channels.

To avoid having to depend on Google and smaller search engines and such.

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Flyingtoaster, where did you see the $150 million figure.

$150 million is very interesting. That's nearly $10 per subscriber.

AllThingsD has a "source" that said that it's $150 million cash upfront with $50 million in cash and stock if GR "meets contractual expectations".

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

I just deleted my Goodreads account. Sharing what I read with my friends is one thing; sharing it with Jeff Bezos is something I won't be party to. Thanks, FT, for posting that you'd deleted your account; I wasn't aware that you could.

Time to dust off my lifetime paid membership to LibraryThing. :smileywink:

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Well, that's disturbing

I know that GooglePlay has linked to GR reviews, but I thought I had turned off any sharing between GR and companion sites.  Then, in amongst the complaints on the GR blog post about Amazon aquiring them someone brought up that their preferences had been changed back to sharing.  So I checked my preferences, and it showed I was authorizing sharing of my reviews (not that big a deal since I allow anyone to see my reviews).

Here's the disturbing part:  The rating showing on GooglePlay isn't the rating that I gave it in GR.  What I gave was 2 stars, what GooglePlay was showing (saying it's from GR) was 3 stars.

I still haven't seen a site I like the user interface as much as GR, I guess I'll have to keep looking.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

Re: Well, that's disturbing

Nothing good can come of this. Thanks Flyingtoastr for putting the delete my account bug in my ear. I just did it.

I have no desire to buy anything from Amazon, and I can see them using Goodreads as a way to track recommendations, books read and buying habits and shove purchase ideas down your throat. Not for me. There is nothing community minded about that, which is what I thought Goodreads was in the beginning. I wouldn't have signed up otherwise.