Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
mongonolike

Re: Amazon to acquire GoodReads - thoughts?

I've been using libib.com as well, mostly as a cataloging site. Just as an FYI, you can import your books into libib using a Goodreads CSV export (I had a fair amount of success with this, but there were some books it didn't find, about 5% which I had to manually search for/enter).

I'm not absolutely smitten with libib, but I've emailed them a couple of times with suggestions (they implemented one of them immediately) and promised they would work on the others. I've seen some other improvements over the course of the last few months, which leads me to believe that it will continue to get better and better. My 2 cents...

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

bklvr896: I'm resurrecting this thread, does anyone know if this went through?  Someone posted it wasn't supposed to go through until June.  I haven't seen any noticeable differences in Goodreads.

It must have. When I first became a librarian over at Goodreads a little over a year ago, we weren't allowed to use any data at all from Amazon. Now there's an announcement stating that we can.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

mongonolike wrote:

I've been using libib.com as well, mostly as a cataloging site. Just as an FYI, you can import your books into libib using a Goodreads CSV export (I had a fair amount of success with this, but there were some books it didn't find, about 5% which I had to manually search for/enter).

I'm not absolutely smitten with libib, but I've emailed them a couple of times with suggestions (they implemented one of them immediately) and promised they would work on the others. I've seen some other improvements over the course of the last few months, which leads me to believe that it will continue to get better and better. My 2 cents...

I have an account with them and am looking forward to filling it with books (I've just been too busy to get to it these last few months).  It seems like a great place to keep a record of everything I own in physical copy (the home library), not so much as a review site.  I had questions for them and found them very responsive and supportive of their customers.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I'm still using Goodreads since they haven't screwed anything up, yet.  If they leave it pretty much alone I'll keep using it.

The closest site I've found to GR so far is The Reading Room. It's not as user friendly and many books aren't listed, though they've been very responsive with adding books and making corrections.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Frequent Contributor
Likes2Read4Fun
0 Kudos

BookLikes.com is another alternative.  You can import your books from GoodReads. Or if you want to keep both, you can link your GoodReads account.