Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon to acquire GoodReads - thoughts?

Tim writes "When Amazon purchased The Book Depository, they closed the ePub bookstore"

I had not heard about this merger until this post - it was in the UK - but I'm very curious about it:  did Amazon transfer licenses on epub titles bought through The Book Depository into Kindle format when they closed the Book Depository's epub store?  Are those folks with licenses bought through BD grandfathered in and still able to access that content, with no new titles being sold in that format?  Or are their titles now permanently orphaned and in need of being backed up as files and self-managed? 

My super-fast google search indicated that one of the antitrust style agencies in the UK signed off on the deal, so I'm curious about whether there was anything in that approval the obliged Amazon to do something about preserving rights to titles. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

roustabout:

http://bookonaut.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/book-depository-to-stop-selling-ebooks.html

Apparently, no downloads of previously purchased books were possible after June 30, 2012. From the email posted in this article:

We are contacting you in relation to your eBook purchase BDG-950-2683314940 for Die Trying which was purchased on 25/09/2010.

The Book Depository has come to the decision to cease selling eBooks, as we feel that the customer experience we were able to offer was not as good as it should have been. This is partially driven by complexity in format and the number of differing devices, which we found often led to customer frustration. We will instead focus on adding more new books to our, already 8 million strong, title selection.

We have spotted that you still have 2 download(s) remaining. Each eBook purchased will have 3 downloads allotted.

If you wish to use the remaining downloads, we ask that you do so by the 30th June 2012. It will not be possible to download purchased eBooks from the Book Depository sites after this date.

As for transferring the license to a Kindle book, I would assume not. Since only three total downloads were permitted (that's pre-Amazon), a transfer doesn't seem likely. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I emailed LibraryThing last night to have my account reactivated (it had been deleted, but my handle was still marked as in use), and got a personal email back this morning letting me know my account was good to go.  I'd imagine the folks over there are pretty happy about Amazon's move.

I'm going to move over all my data today and see if I can make their setup work for me.

ETA:  Here are some thoughts from the folks at LibraryThing on the Goodreads/Amazon deal and what it could mean for them:

http://www.librarything.com/topic/152033

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4

My only thoughts right now are that I need to export all my stuff today, will no longer work on cleaning the GR database (I'm not going to work for free for Amazon), and will likely end up creating a forum with blogging capability for the few thousand unhappy members if my groups so they don't lose touch with each other.
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Hey keriflur,

I checked out two sites when I heard the news yesterday in case I decide to go through the hassle of moving my books - ReadingRoom.com and Library Thing. Reading Room was a definite no-go; I didn't like it's setup at all. But Library Thing felt like a possible alternative. Do you have any idea how easy/difficult it is to add a book to the database if you have one they don't have? How about adding a cover they don't have? Being a librarian over at Goodreads, both of those are easy for me to do. (It's one of the reasons I applied to become one - so I could keep my shelves in order.) Do you know if they have an import option that would make moving my books/shelves over there quick and easy? Thanks!

keriflur
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

Hey keriflur,

I checked out two sites when I heard the news yesterday in case I decide to go through the hassle of moving my books - ReadingRoom.com and Library Thing. Reading Room was a definite no-go; I didn't like it's setup at all. But Library Thing felt like a possible alternative. Do you have any idea how easy/difficult it is to add a book to the database if you have one they don't have? How about adding a cover they don't have? Being a librarian over at Goodreads, both of those are easy for me to do. (It's one of the reasons I applied to become one - so I could keep my shelves in order.) Do you know if they have an import option that would make moving my books/shelves over there quick and easy? Thanks!

I'm still feeling it out, but I do know that users can upload content, including covers.  I *think* we can also add books, but I'm not 100% sure if we can add ISBNs (the way we can create new editions at GR).

There is an import, but it's not really quick and easy, just easier than if you have to do it all manually.  In the past, uploading ISBN-only resulted in a LOT of fails for me.  It's been a few years though, so hopefully they've fixed it.

http://www.librarything.com/import.php

They also have very active discussion boards:  http://www.librarything.com/talk

They have groups too, but I haven't explored that.

Right now the design of the site is sort of miserable, but they seem to want to work on that.

Distinguished Correspondent
bestem
0 Kudos

LibraryThing is offering free one-year Premium accounts to all users who sign up before Sunday.  http://www.librarything.com/blogs/librarything/2013/03/free-accounts-through-sunday/

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I liked the user interface of GR over LT, so I used that much more.  I'll have to check out bookish this weekend.  I'm still curious to see if/how Amazon screws GR up, though.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Thanks, keriflur. So far I've been impressed with Tim's apparent openness and desire to interact with the community there at LibraryThing. That's something I haven't seen much at Goodreads in the year I've been there. Not that that's bothered me since I use the site mainly for it's cataloging/shelving capabilities rather than its social aspects, but it's nice to see nevertheless.

I think LT's biggest challenge in attracting former Goodreads' denizens is going to be figuring out how to incorporate more social aspects to the site (because that's what Goodreads is/was about for many who are contemplating leaving) without alienating the people who like the site as it is. It doesn't sound like some of them want a site that puts more emphasis on the social side of reading.

I also can't help but wonder if the basically negative response to the announcement surprised any of the bigwigs and what kind of impact it has had/will have on the deal itself. If too many people walk away from the site, will the deal still be appealing to Amazon or will the Chandlers be dropped like a hot potato?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I think the percentage of GoodReads users who don't want ANYTHING to do with Amazon might surprise Amazon.

I'm not sure about the general reader population, but among the people I know and/or have seen on forums, there's a definite 25% to 40% of the readers who want NOTHING to do with Amazon.

I'm ambivalent towards Amazon. However, the more a company tries to completely take over a business area, the more people become suspicious of it.

If we reach a stage where Amazon is

- Owner of the biggest book social networks

- one of the 3 biggest publishers

- the biggest self-publishing channel

- the biggest ebook store

- the biggest ereader seller

- the biggest reading tablet seller

then I think everyone needs to start wondering about the downsides of that.

Come to think of it, Amazon is already nearly there.