Frequent Contributor
Scooter_Moonpie
0 Kudos

Re: Well, that's disturbing

I just read the other day that Amazon owned 40% of LibraryThing. Basically,Amazon purchased AbeBooks and AbeBooks owned 40% of LibraryThing....they got a super twofer.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

The LibraryThing founder wrote that it's less than 40%.

That there are stakes owned by Bowker and Amazon but Amazon's share is less than 40% and that the founder has majority share.

Inspired Correspondent
bestem

Scooter_Moonpie wrote:
I just read the other day that Amazon owned 40% of LibraryThing. Basically,Amazon purchased AbeBooks and AbeBooks owned 40% of LibraryThing....they got a super twofer.

They have less than a 40% share of the company.  There's another investor, Bowker, that has some shares, which lessens how much Amazon owns.  And Tim, the site founder and owner, still has majority shares in the company and never plans on selling it.  The site, with it's LibraryThing for Libraries, makes money.  

Amazon also has no access to any LT data.  Here's what Tim said about what they have as far as access: http://www.librarything.com/topic/152033#4001622

Can you talk about what (if any) access to data Amazon has?

Yes. Amazon has no access whatsoever to any LibraryThing data. Abebooks, owned by Amazon, has a license to access some non-personal aggregate data, like tag counts and work-to-work recommendations, but are forbidden to transfer or use it outside of that site.

And when Tim has found out about sites using LT data without having permission, or using more than they're licensed to use, he gets lawyers involved.  LibraryThing isn't perfect, but don't let that share Amazon has scare you off from it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

bestem wrote:

And when Tim has found out about sites using LT data without having permission, or using more than they're licensed to use, he gets lawyers involved.  LibraryThing isn't perfect, but don't let that share Amazon has scare you off from it.

No, but be free to let Tim's attitude on other things scare you off.  :smileysad:

FWIW, I have three GR accounts (one inactive, one active, one that I was using only for cataloging).  I am only closing two of them.  I will be removing all comments, reviews, and user data from the site, with the exception of my books and the shelves I use to categorize them.  I was going to go over to LibraryThing, but Tim's attitude is not one I care for, and the lack of editions complicates things quite a bit for me.  It seems like a LOT more work to catalog my books, when it's so easy on GR.  Tim claims it's a site for booklovers, but from what I can tell it's a site for folks who like to spend their time cataloging books as everything is very manual.  I've got 800 books, so manual is not for me.

So I'm going to stick it out and cross my fingers that something better comes along.  I'm a prime member so Amazon already has a lot of data on me.  Hopefully they'll be hands off on GR and not change anything, but we'll see.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

IIRC, LibraryThing has always been like that — I found out about it from classmates when I was in grad school going for my library science degree, and what attracted us was the ability to catalog your personal book collection, including Dewey and Library of Congress call numbers.
keriflur

JL_Garner wrote:
IIRC, LibraryThing has always been like that — I found out about it from classmates when I was in grad school going for my library science degree, and what attracted us was the ability to catalog your personal book collection, including Dewey and Library of Congress call numbers.

And that's great, but there are ways to have a lot of options without sacrificing ease of use.  But, Goodreads is easy to use, and Tim is committed to being the opposite of Goodreads, so, there's that.  I've had an unused account there for years, and as far as I can tell, no improvements have been made in the years since I opened it.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Does anyone know anything about this site?

http://libib.com

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Keriflur, what do you mean 'Tim's attitude'?

keriflur

He's a bit of a snob.  And he hates Goodreads, so he has opinions on the people who use it, and now he's trying to welcome them over, and well, it's a bit backhanded.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Does anyone know anything about this site?

http://libib.com

Never heard of it, but I'm definitely going to look into it. I've wanted to have a site where I can catalog both my books and my DVDs. I've also been trying to find a decent DVD cataloging site since Guzzlefish vanished back in the mid-'00s.