Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Well, that's disturbing

keriflur wrote:

Does anyone know anything about this site?

http://libib.com

Never heard of it before, but I like what I'm seeing so far.  I created a Reading Room account to poke around a bit, it was the closest interface to GR I've seen.  But, I'm not as big a fan of TRR terms of service as libib.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon to acquire GoodReads - thoughts?

http://forthereader.com/

Secret project #131342341. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
bestem
0 Kudos

He's a bit of a snob.

Heh, he very well could be.  

And he hates Goodreads

I don't believe that's true.  I think it's more that he hates some of the practices on the site, and some of the things he dislikes are things that they've tried to stay away from on LibraryThing.  

he has opinions on the people who use it,

I would say he has opinions on poeple who use it a certain way.  I think a lot of people have opinions on people who use sites we like in ways we dislike.  I have opinions on people who use certain sites differently than I use them and like to see them used (and this has absolutely nothing to do with LT or GR or any similar site, but with an online game I used to play) so I can understand other people feeling the same way.

now he's trying to welcome them over,

He's inviting over anyone who wants to try LibraryThing.  Some people who used GoodReads won't be a fit for LibraryThing, and they'll go elsewhere.  Some people who used GoodReads would have been a better fit for LibraryThing but they didn't even know about the site until GoodReads closed.  Some would have fit just as well in both.  Some used both already.  Some from LT might even go over to GoodReads now.

I'm not trying to convince you to use LibraryThing, it might not be a good fit for you, and that's ok.  Just posting another perspective for anyone who's reading in the thread.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Anyone who wants to can read Tim in his own words, and assess as they'd like.  I was asked what I thought, and I said what I thought.  Obviously you can read his words any way you want.  But generally, when somone downright mocks the users of another site and makes comments on their intelligence and maturity, it's safe to say he has opinions about them.  Just sayin'.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Greed. Pure greed.  The Goodreads founders whined to the skies when AMZN pulled their metadata a few years ago and the Goodreads users stepped up to help fill in the information gaps.  For free.  Now the founders are willing to sell-out for eight figures.

Figures.

I'm going to wait and see before I decide to port my data to another site.  I would like some assurances or an opt-out since I'm not an AMZN shopper (was once, it was terrible, and it took years to get my personal information out of their clutches) and don't intend to start ever again.  I'm not going to hold my breath, though.  Just the tone of the founders' announcement set me on edge.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Bibliophile
5ivedom

Melissa, the announcement was pretty funny.

Most acquisition announcements are.

The companies seem to write out the same nonsense i.e. We'll continue to function independently, the mission is what's important and we'll stay true to it, etc. etc.

There are very few companies that survive an acquisition unscathed.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

The deal's not expected to go through until June, so we do have a little time to make our exits.

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

**Exit made**

I think I'm going to refrain from doing any online social reading sites for awhile. This experience made me a little bitter. I would rather do more face to face stuff, epecially at a few of the local indie bookstores I like to go to,

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I have to admit it's pretty interesting, and encouraging, to see so many readers wanting independence from Amazon (or for that matter, from any big company trying to commercialize what is basically a social thing).

Whoever suggested Bookipedia hit the nail on the head.

We need a Wikipedia for Books.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

I have to admit it's pretty interesting, and encouraging, to see so many readers wanting independence from Amazon (or for that matter, from any big company trying to commercialize what is basically a social thing).

Whoever suggested Bookipedia hit the nail on the head.

We need a Wikipedia for Books.

You may be referring to my post way back in the beginning of this thread.  I didn't know it at the time but now that I've done a Google Search there are all sorts of "bookipedia" sites.  Who knew?

►Without order there is chaos◄