Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Amazon to acquire GoodReads - thoughts?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Amazon to acquire GoodReads - thoughts?

[ Edited ]

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Amazon already owns shelfari, which is a direct competitor to Goodreads.  I'm going to assume that they will merge the two, and merge in the Amazon reviews, and push Amazon-published books, and link the whole thing to the Amazon store.  Ugh.

I love that Goodreads gives me the ability to tag and organize my books exactly how I want to and lets me track what I've read and what's coming out.  But as a YA writer I've had a lot of ambivalence about it, because of the judgmental nature of it (what authors are "supposed" to say and not say about other authors' books, some of the animosity that some of the reviewers have, the constant ad hominem attacks in reviews and comments, and the inability to block seeing reviews/comments on specific books).  In all honesty, I've been hoping something else would come along that would offer what Goodreads offers, but with the option to track and rate books privately (the way LibraryThing does).  Maybe this sale will prompt that to happen.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

Well there's an app I'll never use again (it'll probably be pulled from the NOOK shop anyway).

patgolfneb

Frankly it sucks. When a dominant seller controlls the review site nothing good comes of it. I suppose a wikipedia equivalent for book reviews is needed. 

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

patgolfneb wrote:

Frankly it sucks. When a dominant seller controlls the review site nothing good comes of it. I suppose a wikipedia equivalent for book reviews is needed. 

Bookipedia?

►Without order there is chaos◄
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

Well, I'll give GR's staff this: they were very prompt when I requested they remove every trace of me and my account from their servers.

RHWright

I'll wait and see. But this does not sound like a good thing.
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Given last year's kerfuffle that resulted in them removing Amazon's covers from the site because of the demands Amazon was making, I'm more than a bit surprised by this. Wow.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

Tweet from author Andrew T Shaffer, writing as Evil Wylie:

Yeah? Barnes & Noble just bought a new espresso machine for their Evansville, IN store. Take THAT.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Here's a link with comment from others. It mentions all the restrictions Amazon placed on

using data from them, one explaining the restrictions, and a link to an alternative, library reads. I think this highlights Amazons close to monopoly power. Any publisher or e book related business needs Amazons goodwill badly. 

http://www.librarything.com/

http://readwrite.com/2012/01/30/why_goodreads_gave_up_on_amazon

ihttp://www.salon.com/2013/03/28/amazon_tightens_its_chokehold/