Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Amazon to remove all stories under 2,500 words from store

Amazon has announced that it's removing all stories under 2,500 words from it's store.  For anyone not familiar with how wordcount prints out, 2,500 words is equal to about 8-10 pages in your standard hardcover.

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/amazon-cracks-down-on-kindle-books-under-2500-words_b69390

Thoughts?  Is this a good thing or a bad one?

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon to remove all stories under 2,500 words from store

For "books" this shouldn't be a problem. For people who like reading/writing short stories it'll force them to another vendor.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

As long the "books" in question are clearly marked as being short, I think Amazon should leave them alone and let people buy them or not. They're not hurting anything by being there. Now if they aren't clearly marked as being short, that's a different situation; and I wouldn't blame for removing them then. But that's just me.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Is this Amazon code for if books sell for .99 then a short story, 2500 is pretty short,  ticks people off? 

I would guess an average short story is 5-6000 words,  and 10,000 not that unusual. After all that is why short stories are sold by magazine, anthologies, and single author collections in the DTB world. Back in the dark ages, 1970's sci fi magazines were paying 10-25 cents per word for short stories. Such pay rates explain writer focus on full length works. Short stories became a test bed for material, ideas, characters, writers were developing  for novels. 

Frankly this seems to fall within the retailers area of decision. An author could bundle 2 or three stories if experimenting with very short lengths.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

It's a strange decision. Perhaps it's trying to force people into its Kindle Singles program. What better way to grow that flagging program than by forcing people into it.

Or does it exclude Kindle Singles and even they have to be at least X words?

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

patgolfneb wrote:

Is this Amazon code for if books sell for .99 then a short story, 2500 is pretty short,  ticks people off? 

I would guess an average short story is 5-6000 words,  and 10,000 not that unusual. After all that is why short stories are sold by magazine, anthologies, and single author collections in the DTB world. Back in the dark ages, 1970's sci fi magazines were paying 10-25 cents per word for short stories. Such pay rates explain writer focus on full length works. Short stories became a test bed for material, ideas, characters, writers were developing  for novels. 

Frankly this seems to fall within the retailers area of decision. An author could bundle 2 or three stories if experimenting with very short lengths.

From what I've seen, many, if not most, submission guidelines for magazines and contests request that stories be under 5,000 words, and a lot only permit stories under 2,000 words or less. But anthologies tend to have longer stories, so there's a pretty big mix of lengths out there.

Today it's not uncommon to make pennies per word, or fractions of a penny per word, for shorts submitted to magazines, and selection is very, very competitive.  So I can see why writers would put their shorts on Amazon as singles for 99 cents.  As a buyer though, when you think about how many novels are self-pubbed for only a few dollars or less, buying even a 5k word short for a dollar does feel like a bit of a rip-off unless you know the author's work already.

I agree with the bundling - I'd rather buy a collection of shorts than one short at a time.  But like anything else, the writing has to be there, or I'm not buying at all.

keriflur
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

It's a strange decision. Perhaps it's trying to force people into its Kindle Singles program. What better way to grow that flagging program than by forcing people into it.

Or does it exclude Kindle Singles and even they have to be at least X words?

Kindle singles must be over 5k words (they're looking for 5k-30k).

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,877
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

2.5k words is pretty darn short, though not unheard of, for a short story.

The main area I see a problem occuring is poetry, though. 2500 words is a fairly good sized anthology, and I'm willing to bet most self published poets aren't quite hitting it with their 99 cent mini anthologies.

roustabout
0 Kudos

My question is, what if you'd bought a short story below the 2500 word cutoff just imposed.

Any impact on those?  

Also, I think this policy is pretty nuts, though perhaps it'll encourage folks to post anthologies.  But I  think things in the 2500 word and under range ought to be the writer's call - though I bet amazon has gotten a lot of complaints and demands for returns on these, or they wouldn't have noticed...

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, I've read complaints on various forums. People seem to not read the actual description and then get upset when it's a short story.