Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf

Re: Amazon to remove all stories under 2,500 words from store

I got ripped off at least once thinking I purchased a book that was actually a very short story (from B&N, not Amazon). At the time of purchase, it did NOT say it was a short story-it said it was a book. And the section where the number of pages is normally listed was a blank space. If I had paid only .99, I probably wouldn't have been as upset as I was. But I paid $2.99, which is an amount I have paid in the past for a book, not a short story!
Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

That stinks. I'd write my complaint in the review section.

This applies to text only books. I have a very short kid book and I didn't do a word count. The story ended when it ended. My excuse is I have pictures.

The writer should always state clearly in the description that it is a short story.

A bunch of short stories is better in one book.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

It seems like the solution to this problem is to include word count in the book information. Amazon knows this information, they could share it with consumers.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

It's not an easy problem to solve (word count). Amazon has started adding 'Estimated Word Count' but it doesn't work.

Some of the blame also lies with some authors and Publishers who will write a short Prequel Story or Novella and then charge an unreasonable amount (like $3 or $5) for it.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

5ivedom: It's not an easy problem to solve (word count). Amazon has started adding 'Estimated Word Count' but it doesn't work.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Microsoft Word tells you the number of words in the document. I recently started working for a content writing site who's online writing area counts words for you. If they can do it, it seems that it shouldn't be much trouble at all for Amazon to find out how many words are in the books.

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TnTexas wrote:

5ivedom: It's not an easy problem to solve (word count). Amazon has started adding 'Estimated Word Count' but it doesn't work.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Microsoft Word tells you the number of words in the document. I recently started working for a content writing site who's online writing area counts words for you. If they can do it, it seems that it shouldn't be much trouble at all for Amazon to find out how many words are in the books.

Amazon is already counting words. They just aren't sharing that word count with consumers.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

OK, I'm obviously missing something here.

If Amazon has some way to calculate word count based on the ebooks authors upload to sell, then I don't know of it. Also, I don't know why they wouldn't always share it.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

If Amazon has some way to calculate word count based on the ebooks authors upload to sell, then I don't know of it. Also, I don't know why they wouldn't always share it.

How could you NOT know how to calculate word count?  That's a pretty simple algorithm, slightly more complex if you don't want to count the proforma fluff (title page, dedication, author's note, table of contents, etc.).  Heck, we did word count programs and algorithms in college 25 years ago -- and estimated word counts in typing classes 30 years ago.

Even easier for all concerned -- just post the file size and you get a feel for how large the "book" is or isn't.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
keriflur

Omnigeek wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

How could you NOT know how to calculate word count?  That's a pretty simple algorithm, slightly more complex if you don't want to count the proforma fluff (title page, dedication, author's note, table of contents, etc.).  Heck, we did word count programs and algorithms in college 25 years ago -- and estimated word counts in typing classes 30 years ago.

Even easier for all concerned -- just post the file size and you get a feel for how large the "book" is or isn't.

File size can vary pretty radically for the same word count, depending on how much formatting is embedded or how many images are included (or how large the image files are).