Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Amazon unveils Send to Kindle button

Amazon unveils a Send to Kindle button for Firefox, and you can install it now.

Come On B&N keep up!

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

Re: Amazon unveils Send to Kindle button

You can already use Instapaper, Readability, or Pulse for the same exact things...

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Does this button work for ALL kindles, including e-ink?

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Meh, I use Evernote for those purposes and it works just fine across all my platforms.
Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Yep same here use Evernote and Evernote PC & Web clipper in Firefox.

But thought it interesting as don't see specific for B&N always seems to be Amazon this or Kindle that.

Maybe just a gut reaction thinking maybe B&N is missing some opportunities on branching out?
"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Well, remember Amazon was born with software. They live and breathe software development there because they have to. B&N's development team must be a fraction of Amazon's, even with Microsoft's investment last year. There's a lot of things I'd want B&N's software development team working on and this kind of capability is WAAAAAAAAY deep on the priority list. I'd rather they found a way to make shelving work with Calibre, Excel or any standard web browser. I'd rather they find a way for us to backup shelving and other settings so we can restore our Nooks with all the shelving, Wifi access points, etc. after doing a full factory reset (which would also allow cloning which would make Nooks infiniteliy more useful for large organizations like schools). I'd rather ... dance with a fiddler on the roof!
Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Inspired Scribe
orb9220

Gave you kudos! As absolutely agree about those many issues that B&N seems to ignore.

And forced me to the Nook-Android side for those very reasons. I waited and waited to no avail. So took the reins myself as don't like how B&N development track seems kind of iffy and total lottery if they will address the issues,bugs present.
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

You can already use Instapaper, Readability, or Pulse for the same exact things...

Is it really exactly the same thing? Sure, you can use a separate app, but my understanding is that the Send to Kindle approach puts it in your Kindle library along with all your other reading material. One of the reasons I use calibre for downloading newsfeeds is that same integration into my single library where I can read everything in my library with a single interface, last page read sync, etc.