Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Camoena
0 Kudos

Re: Are You A Rereader?

I don't blame you for not wanting to re-read this whole thread.  It took a while last night, and I'm pretty sure I just skimmed some of it.

One of my mom's favorite reads at Christmas every year (though it is a short story) is "The Gift of the Magi".  I've always thought that was very fitting which is, perhaps, the point.

A favorite memory of mine from growing up was eating pomegranates.  My mom would cut one up and divy it out between my younger brother and me, then read us the story of Persephone from Edith Hamilton's Mythology.  Good times...

'A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read.' --Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Camoena wrote:

I don't blame you for not wanting to re-read this whole thread.  It took a while last night, and I'm pretty sure I just skimmed some of it.

One of my mom's favorite reads at Christmas every year (though it is a short story) is "The Gift of the Magi".  I've always thought that was very fitting which is, perhaps, the point.

A favorite memory of mine from growing up was eating pomegranates.  My mom would cut one up and divy it out between my younger brother and me, then read us the story of Persephone from Edith Hamilton's Mythology.  Good times...

It took me awhile a couple of weeks ago to realize that another Christmas story I love to reread is the one by Van Dyke:
Like the O'Henry's (Porter's) The Gift of the Magi which you mention, it has always been a very special reminder about living and about gift giving.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
mrsvaljones

I am an avid reader and have been my entire life, with a goal of 100 books a year, though I usually only make it to about 70 or 80. I'm a college student as well so get the luxury of being exposed to a plethra of different titles, not included on my count. I am lucky to have book the nook for instant gratification in new titles, as well as an uncle who works for airline that sends me the books left on planes by forgetful passengers. Those shipments of boxes every other month have exposed me to books I would never have other wise selected.

I am a re-reader occasionally, always able to turn to the classics, I also have two children so I of course relive and reread all of those books that turned me into a reader to begin with. Other times college course require us to re-read books I have already read n the past but through a specific lens, just this week I took another go at Rachel Carson's Silent spring.

On those day when I am in a slump I have often re-read Janet Evanovich's One for the Money. It never fails to make me laugh and I have a secret crush on the imaginary character Ranger. So it satisfies me.

Other times I reread a series when a new long awaited books come out. Most recently I reread the entire Jean M Auel's series before the publication of her newest and final book in the series, Land of Painted Caves.

Valerie Jones
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams..." -Dr. Seuss
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Camoena wrote:

The Gift of the Magi is included in the book that I posted, along with many other stories, poems, songs, recipes, etc.  And lots of old-fashioned drawings.  Although I see that they have rereleased it with a new cover, so I don't know if the illustrations are still the same.  I have a few others in the Little Big Book series, including Thrills and Chills, which is great for Halloween, and Ireland, which is great for St. Patrick's Day!  (and Cats, which doesn't go with a holiday.)

I love your pomegranate story!  That was a great idea of your mother's to illustrate the myth with eating a pomegranate!  I like pomegranates, but rarely get them because they are a lot of work, and kind of messy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
Doug_DePew
0 Kudos

Of course, I haven't read the entire thread. I just stumbled across it, and it looks like an interesting discussion. I read all the time. I am never without something within arm's reach. I figure I might as well throw in my thoughts. I'll address the original questions.

1. Do you reread? 

Yes, as often as time allows.

2. Do you reread many books or only a very select few that you hold near and dear?

I re-read any book I enjoyed. I re-read the entire Aztec series twice in the last four or five years, and I get something new out of it every time. There was a jaw-dropping, cause me to gasp scene I completely forgot from the first to the second time I read it. I love re-reading pretty much anything I enjoyed.

3. Do you reread on special occasions (holidays or vacations that draw you to reread a particular book)? 

I don't have any rules.

4. Do you ever feel like your robbing yourself of valuable time with the prospect of new stories to love and reread over and over again?

No, absolutely not. I'd feel like I was robbing myself if I only read something once.

I saw some mention of fiction/non-fiction earlier. I read very little fiction...just don't find it enjoyable. I do read some fantasy and historical fiction, and I love to read them again after a few years. Every time through is a completely new experience because I'm in a different place than I was the first time. I read mostly non-fiction, and I normally only read them through once. I refer back to them often, though. Once in a while, I'll open one and decide to read it again. I also often begin books then put them on the shelf half-way through. I might pick that book up again five years later and finish it.

I don't have any rules about reading.

Doug DePew
Author of SAT & BAF! Memories of a Tower Rat

Inspired Correspondent
Camoena
0 Kudos

Doug -- it's understandable you wouldn't want to read all the way back!  Still, I greatly appreciate your contribution to the discussion. It died out for a little while, but someone recently pointed me in this direction, and I'm glad others are joining back in! 

I'm wondering (because I'm the only one I can recall having mentioned it) if anyone else is a "mood reader"?  Are there particular re-reads that you prefer based on your mood or current life events?

Dulcinea -- I haven't had a pomegranate in years, but everytime I see ANYTHING related to pomegranates, that's what I think of.  In fact, ever since I heard the myth of Persephone, I want to know why everyone thinks apples were the "forbidden fruit"; I feel like pomegranates would be much more fitting.

'A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read.' --Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Is it time to float this long intriguing thread to the top again?

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
doncr

I'm not a re-reader and this is why I would like someone to offer a Netflix-like subscription model for eBooks.  

With the exception of some non-fiction referernce books, I have no desire to even keep a book on my shelf once I've read it, and would like to move on to something else.  It's the same with DVDs for me.  Rent. Watch. Return.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I find this discussion fascinating. I'm not a re-reader. This is helping me understand. Especially the concept of being a mood rereader.

There are times when I wish I could read a book just like one I've read in the past. Never really felt the desire to reread.

That does seem like a possible solution.

For example: The Road and Swan Song are two books I wish there were more of. Would rereading them be a solution? Perhaps.

I might just try rereading for the first time. Thanks to all the people on this thread.

Correspondent
barry2B
0 Kudos

I am a rereader as well, but only for select books that made lasting impressions. I have read "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank at least 6 times with a few years inbetween each reading.