Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Re: Are You A Rereader?

I rarely read books again. If a book really connects emotionally or the humor is exceptional I will after a few years have passed.
Frequent Contributor
NookaholicAC
0 Kudos

I reread the Harry Potter books, Twilight series, and my all time fave book, The Davinci Code, many times over. Oddly enough, that was before I had my Nook. Now, since I have so many books available at my fingertips, I choose not to reread, but read as many new books as I can. So many out there and so little time. LOL

Contributor
AliciaDean_1835
0 Kudos

When I was younger, I was a rereader. These days, I'm so busy it's difficult to read the books in my TBR pile even once, but I am definitely a fan of rereading. Like someone else said, you miss things the first time around, and besides, if you really love the world the author has created, really love the characters, it makes sense to want to visit them again.

Alicia Dean
Author of Suspense and Paranormal
aka Winter Frost - Lady in the Mist, a Gothic Mystery Novella
Peppermill

I'll make a deliberately challenging comment here:

If you are not re-reading, are you reading "good enough" literature?  And that by the standards and hopes and uses of reading for yourself.

I am finding that as I tackle more and more classics, I must reread if I even remotely hope to savor the ideas, the language, the characters, the development of the plot. 

But, boy, is it turning out to be worth it, IMHO, if nothing else, just for my own sense of a different kind of joy in the experience of reading.

(For most of my life, I had an attitude of there is too much to read to ever reread.  Maybe I have just reached the point of knowing I can never read all that I shoud like, but there is much wealth to be gained by repeated "conversations" with certain books.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
keriflur

[ Edited ]

Peppermill wrote:

I'll make a deliberately challenging comment here:

If you are not re-reading, are you reading "good enough" literature?  And that by the standards and hopes and uses of reading for yourself.

I am finding that as I tackle more and more classics, I must reread if I even remotely hope to savor the ideas, the language, the characters, the development of the plot. 

But, boy, is it turning out to be worth it, IMHO, if nothing else, just for my own sense of a different kind of joy in the experience of reading.

(For most of my life, I had an attitude of there is too much to read to ever reread.  Maybe I have just reached the point of knowing I can never read all that I shoud like, but there is much wealth to be gained by repeated "conversations" with certain books.)

I do re-read.  I've actually re-read quite a bit this year.

That said, to me, a good book is not one that I have to re-read.  It's one that makes it's impact the first time around, where the writer is clear and concise yet vivid and subtle.  There's a fine line between being subtle and being vague, between being complex and being confusing, but IMO good literature is always the former in both cases, and never the latter.  So I re-read the books that I love, to love them more, and to see how they're structured (as a writer, I don't just want to know this, I need to know this).

There are some classics that I love.  There are probably many more that I will love once I read them.  But I'm past the point of reading books simply because they're classics.  Instead I read everything, classics and otherwise, like slush - if it holds me, I keep going, but if an author is obtuse or tangental, I'm out the door.*  So there are quite a few classics I'll likely never finish, and quite a few I'll never start (for example, anything by Dickens that I haven't already been forced to read).

*I hold nothing against these folks, and nothing against those who love their work.  There was a time when the popular style of writing was long, drawn out beginnings loaded with backstory and filled with beautifully articulated travels down roads to nowhere.  It's just not what I want to read.

Life is too short for bad books.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

[...] So there are quite a few classics I'll likely never finish, and quite a few I'll never start (for example, anything by Dickens that I haven't already been forced to read).

I managed to muddle through school without reading most of what I was supposed to, and I've never felt the urge to "complete" myself by going through the classics now. I have, however, started reading Dickens' work as a dystopian prediction of what life will be like if certain political themes are taken to extremes. Make an appropriate mental substitution of technology here and there, and some of the lines sound like quotes grabbed from the nightly news. 

The only books I regularly re-read are Douglas Adams', simply because I forget some of the great lines.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

I reread books I loved the first time around.  I would love to get the ebook version of some of them (like Erin Hunter's "Warriors" series), but cannot afford to do so.  I hope prices go down in the future so I can afford it-because of my visual impairment, ebooks are much easier for me to read.  I am not really into classics (especially Shakespeare), but there were some books I read in school that I would love to get as an ebook-unfortunately they are either too expensive or not available.  "Animal Farm", "Lord of the Flies", "Martian Chronicles", and "The Illustrated Man" are just a few of those I wouldn't mind rereading.  The are also some horror books I would reread if I could get them as ebooks but so far no one has issued books by my favorite horror writers as ebooks (Ruby Jean Jenson, Clare McNally, and Pat Graverson to name a few).  Sigh!

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Irishelf wrote:

I reread books I loved the first time around.  I would love to get the ebook version of some of them (like Erin Hunter's "Warriors" series), but cannot afford to do so.  I hope prices go down in the future so I can afford it-because of my visual impairment, ebooks are much easier for me to read.  I am not really into classics (especially Shakespeare), but there were some books I read in school that I would love to get as an ebook-unfortunately they are either too expensive or not available.  "Animal Farm", "Lord of the Flies", "Martian Chronicles", and "The Illustrated Man" are just a few of those I wouldn't mind rereading.  The are also some horror books I would reread if I could get them as ebooks but so far no one has issued books by my favorite horror writers as ebooks (Ruby Jean Jenson, Clare McNally, and Pat Graverson to name a few).  Sigh!

There are a bunch of mid-century classics that you can't get, due to the rights being in fuzzy status or the owners actually resistant to e-books.  No Catcher in the Rye, for example, or To Kill a Mockingbird

Amusingly, a number of older SF writers like Bradbury are/were to some extent luddites on new technology.  Bradbury only allowed Fahrenheit 451 to be released digitally because his publisher demanded it in order to renew the contract on the paper version.  The rest of his works will have to wait for one of his heirs to allow digital publication.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Ugh, Catcher in the Rye.  *headesk*

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Ugh, Catcher in the Rye.  *headesk*

Not to everyone's taste, but you have to acknowledge it's a significant book.  Speaking of which, I finally managed to push myself all the way through Naked Lunch.  Again, clearly a significant, groundbreaking book, but damn it's a lot of work to read.