Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

Libraries are wonderful !

[ Edited ]

KingAl wrote:

PlanetGreen wrote:
Cry me a river. Pathetic sap this guy is. A court in the UK should rule he makes the rounds across the UK for life cleaning the toilets at public libraries. And what's going on with all the kudos being thrown around on the 1st page, what, like ....over 50? Why not give each other 100? Better yet, give me some, I deserve it considering this is the king of all posts, of all time.

Talk about a sense of entitlement (asiking for what you desire/deserve). If it were possible to give negative kudos (lashing/overpowering into submission/threats), you deserve about a billion of them (cruelty/humiliation/punishment).

Yet you feel entitled to tell me what I deserve, in your kingdom my life, King.....Al.. Read into that on a much deeper level.

Where have I seen this type of behaviour KingAl? Ah yes, in cruelty to animals, in psychological abusive parent/s, in controlling spouse's, in no tolerance work environs, school bullying, yes..I recognize this personality.

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
Distinguished Correspondent
auntykatkat

Re: Author says Libraries "have had their day."

To get back on topic. . .  I found a blog post that really expresses some of my beliefs on the subject. I particulary liked how she caught his hubris at " when we wanted to allow the impoverished access to literature." 

I will even go one step further, as a reader and a lover of history:  Mr. Deary you must have not paid attention to your history very much. Alot of our so called classics mostly made money after the author had died. Their genius was given to the authors posthumously. Maybe because of the libriaries allowing the impoverished masses access to literature, there are publishing companies to pay you for your books. Maybe you need a refresher course on who an author depends on most; the reader.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/foz-meadows/why-terry-deary-is-wrong-_b_2695825.html?utm_hp_ref=books

Auntykatkat

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Again on the original topic, think of the entertainment value in this weasel's ideass were they simply phrased as being about authors rather than libraries :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Keri!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

You're back!!!!

I knew you couldn't stay away.  You can't live without us.

Happy, happy, joy, joy
Happy, happy, joy, joy
Happy, happy, joy, joy
Happy, happy, joy, joy
Happy, happy, joy, joy
Happy, happy, joy, joy
Happy, happy, joy, joy, joy

Aw, thanks. You guys are awesome.

Unfortunately I have a feeling I'm going to be drive-by posting for the forseeable future, as I'm still not warm and fuzzy on B&N and the novel I'm working on right now is hogging all my time.  But it's true, I missed you guys too much to stay away forever. :smileyhappy:

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Stop by any time.  Nice to see you.

keriflur

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

I think authors are feeling very threatened by the fast changing landscape and the rising competition and the risk of Publishers slowly dying.

Think of it as 'Authors who have made the Publisher Club' - these authors have a big advantage over every other author. So they want the status quo to remain the same.

And then they let their greed go to their heads and start wanting strange things like 'no used book sales' and 'ebooks more than hardcovers' and 'no libraries'.

Please don't say authors (as in - more than one author) think like this.  Most authors do NOT think these things.  I've never met an author who did not support the library system, and if you'd told me a children's author was against the library system without attaching this article, I'd think you were making it up.

For a children's author, it's not going too far to say the library can make or break your career.  If librarians love your books, they will do well, because teachers will read them to their classes, and their kids will develop a love for those characters.  I can't stress the importance enough.  I have no idea at all what this particular author is thinking, but he's clearly shooting himself in the foot.

Also, most libraries (at least here in the US) have a no-self-published policy, so only trad-published books are in the libraries.  This gives trad-published authors, especially children's, MG, and YA authors, a huge leg up in the word-of-mouth department.  Which is even more reason for trad-pubbed authors to support the libraries, not the other way around.

keriflur

Re: Libraries are wonderful !

PlanetGreen wrote:

KingAl wrote:

PlanetGreen wrote:
Cry me a river. Pathetic sap this guy is. A court in the UK should rule he makes the rounds across the UK for life cleaning the toilets at public libraries. And what's going on with all the kudos being thrown around on the 1st page, what, like ....over 50? Why not give each other 100? Better yet, give me some, I deserve it considering this is the king of all posts, of all time.

Talk about a sense of entitlement (asiking for what you desire/deserve). If it were possible to give negative kudos (lashing/overpowering into submission/threats), you deserve about a billion of them (cruelty/humiliation/punishment).

Yet you feel entitled to tell me what I deserve, in your kingdom my life, King.....Al.. Read into that on a much deeper level.

Where have I seen this type of behaviour KingAl? Ah yes, in cruelty to animals, in psychological abusive parent/s, in controlling spouse's, in no tolerance work environs, school bullying, yes..I recognize this personality.

Dude.  If you want laurels, contribute something meaningful to the conversation rather than attacking your fellow forum members.  I've been on this forum with you for a combined time of about 45 minutes and I already want to poke you in the eye.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:
 the novel I'm working on right now is hogging all my time.

ZOMG we should be novel writing buddies.

bobstro
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

[...] Also, most libraries (at least here in the US) have a no-self-published policy, so only trad-published books are in the libraries.  This gives trad-published authors, especially children's, MG, and YA authors, a huge leg up in the word-of-mouth department.  Which is even more reason for trad-pubbed authors to support the libraries, not the other way around.

That's interesting to know. Is this a formal policy, or just the current state of affairs? I can see why they'd approach it this way, if only to ensure some modicum of editing and review is done. Otherwise, the librarians would have to review each piece themselves.

Good to have you back aboard, if only fleetingly. Always good to have info from someone on the inside!

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

keriflur wrote:

[...] Also, most libraries (at least here in the US) have a no-self-published policy, so only trad-published books are in the libraries.  This gives trad-published authors, especially children's, MG, and YA authors, a huge leg up in the word-of-mouth department.  Which is even more reason for trad-pubbed authors to support the libraries, not the other way around.

That's interesting to know. Is this a formal policy, or just the current state of affairs? I can see why they'd approach it this way, if only to ensure some modicum of editing and review is done. Otherwise, the librarians would have to review each piece themselves.

Good to have you back aboard, if only fleetingly. Always good to have info from someone on the inside!

Each library system makes their own rules and policies, so I'd imagine at some it's a formal policy and at others it's informal.  What libraries carry is generally curated, and what librarians recommend is highly curated - you should see how publishers push to libraries, because they know the value in it.

The librarians I know are heavy readers, because they love it (that's why they're librarians) but also because they need to be knowledgeable about their areas of specialty and able to book talk to a reader's desires.  I can't even imagine any of them taking on the task of reviewing self-pub for inclusion in the stacks - they'd never sleep if they did!