Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
moose_tracker

Re: B&N Review Censorship

And here I was all set to do a review on the Biography of Bob Barker and make reference to his time while he was on the Price-Is-Right...   So no review for you old Bobby boy..:smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

ThirstyFlea wrote:

Look, I will venture to say that most of us are not professional book reviewers, so I don't expect perfect grammer and spelling and big fancy words when I read a review on a bookstore website. As long as they can write something coherently enough to make a point in their review and possibly help me decide if I want to buy a book or not, I don't have a problem with them. It's easy enough to skip the ones you know won't be helpful to your decision making. However I do have a problem with B&N arbitrarily blocking really well-written, honest book reviews because of a computer glitch, with no further feedback or ability to edit said review.

To clarify, I referred to the tenor of deesy58's posts, not grammar or spelling.  Tenor means the gist and content of her posts.  What I was saying was that deesy58 is clearly not discussing writing reviews for the NYT or some similar publication, nor is she purporting herself to be someone who does so.  So why bring up professional reviews just to attack another forum member?

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

ThirstyFlea wrote:

Look, I will venture to say that most of us are not professional book reviewers, so I don't expect perfect grammer and spelling and big fancy words when I read a review on a bookstore website. As long as they can write something coherently enough to make a point in their review and possibly help me decide if I want to buy a book or not, I don't have a problem with them. It's easy enough to skip the ones you know won't be helpful to your decision making. However I do have a problem with B&N arbitrarily blocking really well-written, honest book reviews because of a computer glitch, with no further feedback or ability to edit said review.

To clarify, I referred to the tenor of deesy58's posts, not grammar or spelling.  Tenor means the gist and content of her posts.  What I was saying was that deesy58 is clearly not discussing writing reviews for the NYT or some similar publication, nor is she purporting herself to be someone who does so.  So why bring up professional reviews just to attack another forum member?

Hi keriflur- Thanks for clarifying! I'm sorry, I actually meant my comments more in the general context of reviews, not as a specific comment on your comment or on deesy's :smileyembarrassed:- it's tough to get inflections across when typing... especially when this whole B&N generated issue is so frustrating. I'm upset with the situation, not any of you! I value everyone's opinions, and am happy to have found a forum of like-minded people in which to vent our frustrations :smileytongue: At least we're listening to each other, even if B&N isn't listening to us!

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson

Totally OT, but I just have to say that I love your signature line ThirstyFlea.  it makes me giggle everytime I see it.  I have to know though, are you just "accepted" or have you been elevated to "leader" status? :smileyvery-happy:

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea
0 Kudos

A_Wilson wrote:

Totally OT, but I just have to say that I love your signature line ThirstyFlea.  it makes me giggle everytime I see it.  I have to know though, are you just "accepted" or have you been elevated to "leader" status? :smileyvery-happy:

Awww... thanks A_Wilson!!  I have been happily basking in the role of "leader" for years now, thanks for asking!  :smileywink:

(and p.s. I like your signature too! very clever!!)

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

keriflur wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

B&N offers at least ten different books, by ten different authors, titled "The Price of Passion."  I tried to post a review for one of them.  Here is the text of my review:

"I am writing a reader review for Price of Passion because I was told that one of the words in the book's title was prohibited by B&N from use in a review."

Here is the response from the B&N reader review posting system:

"Your Review is no longer visible by others because it contains inappropriate language which violates our Terms of Use. If you update your content, it will be reconsidered by our moderators within three business days. This message will be removed when your content is approved"

I bolded my review and the reply in order to separate it from the rest of my post in this forum.  There was no bold text in my original review or the B&N reply, although the reply text was posted in red.

Tell me again how using the word "price" in a reader review might be inappropriate, or that it makes perfect sense to completely block the posting of any review that contains the word "price."  This is lunacy!

Well, your "review" wasn't a review.  It didn't say anything at all about the quality of the book, whether you liked it or not, or if you recommend it.  It's effectively spam.  So, maybe that's why your review didn't go through.  Just a thought.

I think you missed the point.  It wasn't intended to be a real review.  It was simply a test to prove that the word "price" is considered to be inappropriate by B&N. 

I did write a real reader review that I spent a considerable amount of time preparing.  Apparently, nobody else has been able to read that review because it was rejected by B&N.  It did, however, contain the word "price" in it, so I am confident that that is probably why it was rejected.  The NOOK book was free however, so it is difficult to see how anybody could interpret my use of the word "price" in the review as a complaint about the price of the book.  Without a list of B&N verboten keywords, however, how is a body to know? 

Another point I would like to make is that I am currently reading the second of two included novels in a single NOOK book with only one ISBN number.  The stories are unrelated to each other, and were written by two different authors.  When, and if, I write a review of this double book, I will have to review both novels in a single post.  How can I distinguish the two within my review if I should not include the title of the story in the contents of that review?   Double books used to be common in paperbacks.  They are also now available as e-books.

It is tempting to attempt to reduce this very complex issue to inane simplicity.  We (and B&N) should resist this temptation and address the problem in a reasonable manner such as has already been suggested by other posters in this forum.

Contributor
Suvorov
0 Kudos

I am obviously late to this discussion. I hope someone is still out there because I would like some assistance if possible.

First, I am a little stunned that 'price' is one of the words. I can totally see myself writing a statement  like, "That was the price so-and-so had to pay for his freedom.' Yes I could come up with another way to say that, but it wouldn't really have the same feel.

Also, I do use the title of the book and the author's name in my reviews. The reason is that it sounds too repetitive if I keep using she... she... the author... she... And the same goes for the book... the novel... the book... So it has nothing to do with reminding anyone which book I am reviewing. Would my review be rejected because of that?

Now to my main question- is there a list of taboo words?

I tried to post a 4-star review for Lois Lowry's Son. It didn't post. There was no rejection message. It looks like it posted but then doesn't show up on My B&N page. When I go back to the book's page, my rating is there as Anonymous even though I was signed in. I've given bad reviews and they were accepted with no problems. So I'm not quite sure what I did wrong with this one.

Thanks!

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Suvorov wrote:

Yes, there is a list of taboo words.  Unfortunately, no one but B&N knows what's on that list. :smileyfrustrated:

As far as the review you'e currently having trouble with, you might want to send a PM to BN_AlexG, the forum administrator.  He may be able to help get the review posted correctly.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Suvorov wrote:

I am obviously late to this discussion. I hope someone is still out there because I would like some assistance if possible.

First, I am a little stunned that 'price' is one of the words. I can totally see myself writing a statement  like, "That was the price so-and-so had to pay for his freedom.' Yes I could come up with another way to say that, but it wouldn't really have the same feel.

Also, I do use the title of the book and the author's name in my reviews. The reason is that it sounds too repetitive if I keep using she... she... the author... she... And the same goes for the book... the novel... the book... So it has nothing to do with reminding anyone which book I am reviewing. Would my review be rejected because of that?

I tried to post a 4-star review for Lois Lowry's Son. It didn't post. There was no rejection message. It looks like it posted but then doesn't show up on My B&N page. When I go back to the book's page, my rating is there as Anonymous even though I was signed in. I've given bad reviews and they were accepted with no problems. So I'm not quite sure what I did wrong with this one.

Thanks!

There absolutely is a list of forbidden keywords, and the word "price" is on that list.  Nobody but B&N knows what other words are on the list because it is not published or shared.  If the title of the book you are reviewing happens to contain one of the key words, your review will be rejected.  It is a real slap in the face to write a detailed, well-reasoned review, only to have it rejected because the B&N computer program thinks it might be offensive.  In spite of the arbitrariness and capriciousness of this policy, you can send a Private Message (PM) to the Administrator and he can have your review released, or allow you to edit it. 

Contributor
Suvorov
0 Kudos

Thanks. The mood I'm in now, it's doesn't seem worth it. I'm sure that will change at some point in the future. I subscribed to this thread, so if a list is ever published, would you please post the link here? Thanks again for your responses.