Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

B&N membership auto-renewal

[ Edited ]

In checking my credit card transactions, I find that B&N has automatically renewed my B&N membership, a month ahead of the expiration date.

1. B&N did not charge my default credit card;  they charged the one I originally used to purchase the membership.
  2. I did not authorize this.
  3. I almost never authorize auto-renewals, and I usually check to see if that's part of the agreement.
  4. There is no apparent way to turn auto-renewal off (at least that I could find).
  5. Most ethical companies that provide auto-renewal make it opt-in, document it, send notice ahead of the auto-renew, and provide an easy way to cancel it.
  6. Since B&N has made the membership practically worthless to digital buyers, I had no intention of renewing anyway.
  7. The proprietary connectors on the new Nook HD/HD+ means that I do not plan to buy one, even if there was a membership discount.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

Re: B&N membership auto-renewal

It says directly on the application for a Membership (both in-store and online) that Memberships will auto-renew using the CC# provided when you purchase the Membership. Auto-renew is actually even listed under the "How Membership Works" section right on the Membership join page right here on the BN website. In addition, you should have recieved an email roughly a month ago (so long as you provided a valid email with the Membership application) warning you that you were going to be charged for renewal.

You can very easily cancel auto-renewal, both here on the website (going into the "Manage Your Membership" in the account options) or calling Member Support at 1-866-238-READ.

So while I emphethize, the information about this is readily available everywhere.

And this isn't a unique thing. Amazon auto-renews Prime subscriptions by default. So does GameStop's reward program. It sucks, but it's pretty par for the course at this point.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I got an email about a month before saying my renewal was coming up and that if I didn't want to auto renew I needed to notify them.  I remember something about it charging whatever card I had used to originally purchase membership, too.  But, I don't remember if I had to look that up or not.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

...In addition, you should have recieved an email roughly a month ago (so long as you provided a valid email with the Membership application) warning you that you were going to be charged for renewal.

You can very easily cancel auto-renewal, both here on the website (going into the "Manage Your Membership" in the account options) or calling Member Support at 1-866-238-READ.

So while I emphethize, the information about this is readily available everywhere.

And this isn't a unique thing. Amazon auto-renews Prime subscriptions by default. So does GameStop's reward program. It sucks, but it's pretty par for the course at this point.

There is no "Manage Your Membership" on my "Account Settings" page.  Is there a separate "Account Options" page ????  Where ???

Under "Membership" on my "Account Settings" page, there is only a "Register Your Membership to Receive Special Offers & Discounts" link.  I don't remember this link, but I know that I previously looked at this portion of the web page and would have registered the membership.  I either didn't see any option to disable the auto-renewal, or it was disabled.  Now that the auto-renew took place, I didn't click on it this time.

I bought the membership in the store when I bought my Nook Tablet.  I briefly read the brochure, but didn't see any auto-renew comment, or I would have disabled it instantly.  I didn't go to the "membership sales" web pages after I bought my membership, since I had no reason to.  B&N certainly has my correct eMail address (at which I receive lots of B&N eMail, and I read each one), since that's how I login to see my membership info.

Yes, I know auto-renewal is not unique.  Unless notification is given, it's a sneaky way to renew.  If notification is given and I missed it, I apologize.

Since I can't find the setting you mention, I'll call the number you mentioned.

Edit:  B&N has canceled the renewal and says they've issued a credit.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

There is no "Manage Your Membership" on my "Account Settings" page.  Is there a separate "Account Options" page ????  Where ???

Under "Membership" on my "Account Settings" page, there is only a "Register Your Membership to Receive Special Offers & Discounts" link.

I bought the membership in the store when I bought my Nook Tablet.  I briefly read the brochure, but didn't see any auto-renew comment, or I would have disabled it instantly.  I didn't go to the "membership sales" web pages after I bought my membership, since I had no reason to.  B&N certainly has my correct eMail address (at which I receive lots of B&N eMail, and I read each one), since that's how I login to see my membership info.

Yes, I know auto-renewal is not unique.  Unless notification is given, it's a sneaky way to renew.  If notification is given and I missed it, I apologize.

Since I can't find the setting you mention, I'll call the number.

Sorry Dean, figured you had bought it online (in which case it is automatically tied to the account you purchased it with).

You do have to register the Membership on your account online before you can access the information, which consists of just punching in the Membership account number in that "register Membership" box. Once you do so you can access and modify all the information for the account and it's tied to any purchases on the site you make.

Out of curiosity, are your normal emails from BN the Memebrship emails or just the generic ones? (i.e. if it's a Membership email the coupons will specifically have a picture of a Membership on them, as well as giving higher discounts such as 20% off a generic instead of 15% for non-members)

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

Under "Membership" on my "Account Settings" page, there is only a "Register Your Membership to Receive Special Offers & Discounts" link.

Sorry Dean, figured you had bought it online (in which case it is automatically tied to the account you purchased it with).

You do have to register the Membership on your account online before you can access the information, which consists of just punching in the Membership account number in that "register Membership" box. Once you do so you can access and modify all the information for the account and it's tied to any purchases on the site you make.

Out of curiosity, are your normal emails from BN the Membership emails or just the generic ones? (i.e. if it's a Membership email the coupons will specifically have a picture of a Membership on them, as well as giving higher discounts such as 20% off a generic instead of 15% for non-members)

I'm pretty sure I registered the membership.  At any rate, it shows up in my "Account Settings" page.

I know at one point (many months ago) I received a B&N eMail with a discount coupon, which apparently few others here had received.  I still have the membership "Welcome Coupons" eMail from a year ago.

Just last week I bought a DVD from B&N online, and it gave me free express shipping.  From the online invoice eMail:  "As a valued Member, you receive unlimited FREE Express Shipping on your BN.com orders."

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Even though I have been a member for several years, and even though I had made numerous purchases of DTB books during those years, and even though my "Account Settings" showed my card number, my membership was apparently not "registered."  I registered it a few minutes ago and promptly received a 10% discount coupon to be used on a single purchase.

I went back to the "Account Settings" screen and removed the automatic renewal option from my membership settings.  Unless the membership is "registered" we apparently have no access to these settings.

Distinguished Correspondent
Reisnice

Well, I just registered my membership ID, even though it was registered months ago, and promptly turned off automatic update.  It still shows that my membership is valid until November 2013.  I assume I'll still need to call customer service to get a refund. 

I understood from reading the membership information that it would auto-renew, although it annoyed me at the time.  What annoys me now is that they renewed and charged my credit card a month ahead of the renewal time.  If they had waited until even a few days before, it wouldn't have griped me so much.  I do agree that, if BN wants Nook users to keep their membership, they need to come up with more advantages for ebook readers.  Free express shipping and a few coupons, not good on Nook Books, don't interest me $25.00 worth.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Reisnice wrote:

I do agree that, if BN wants Nook users to keep their membership, they need to come up with more advantages for ebook readers.  Free express shipping and a few coupons, not good on Nook Books, don't interest me $25.00 worth.

I agree (which is why I didn't renew), although in one sense, the lack of coupons/discounts for Nook buyers is good news in one sense:  Coupons/discounts are generally used to encourage buying, and if a product is selling well, why offer a discount?

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

Out of curiosity, are your normal emails from BN the Memebrship emails or just the generic ones? (i.e. if it's a Membership email the coupons will specifically have a picture of a Membership on them, as well as giving higher discounts such as 20% off a generic instead of 15% for non-members)

I finally found the eMail B&N sent me about renewal.  Due to a known bug in Thunderbird (which apparently has since been fixed), it moved the message to a folder that was "hidden".