Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: B&N screwed us Nook Color owners

Well, a lot of people are learning they must become knowlegdeable about this stuff and quickly.  Tablets and ereaders are a new market and a lot of people may never have paid that close attention to how quickly things turn over in any electronics market.  For many of us, the usual things we buy work long enough that we just don't follow all the trends. 

If you take a pc for example it can be very hard to tell that the specs have changed or that the price has, because the model numbers sometimes don't point to different specs and stores seem to get different model numbers that have the same specs, or they do seem to have more leeway to put them on sale. 

If it's a camera, you may not notice because what you have does seem to work so you might not go looking to see if a new one is out.  You also may not go for a discussion group when looking for support or info on your camera-you might buy a book instead.  Again, sometimes the specs don't seem to change that much and all.  And unless you are a pro the additions to new cameras and all don't always mean or matter that much to you.

I can see where the unhappiness comes from-one is called a NOOKcolor and the other a tablet.  Tablet is a buzz word right now.  It's kind of like you just bought Bob's notePad for $250 and 2 months later there's Bob's iPad selling for the same price with some better specs.  I do understand how this looks and feels.

But, it is the nature of the beast and everyone has to learn that this is what is happening today.  It is especially so in an emerging market.  It also means we have to be better informed consumers and do our best to investigate what rumors there are and all.  It's also important to remember, what you buy today is already on its way out.  Buy it and enjoy it for what it is.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220

[ Edited ]

Good point Deemure!

And the other issue is what I constantly deal with in the Nikon camera world of photography. Novices are always wanting to upgrade before they even have mastered what they have. And falsely assume a newer device will give them better images.

As too deciding on a device. It comes down to does it do what you need it to do and is it worth that price?

And ignore the "Jump on the Latest Bandwagon". Only consider a new device when the one you have is not fullfilling your needs. I always ask the novice photographer considering new gear or lenses. Why Do You Need It? If you can't explain the reasons and needs then you probably Don't Need it.

So to optimize the Price you pay for something. To the OP How about concentrating on using it and getting the value out of it. Without the Need to compare it to something newer & cheaper. So you don't need to use that as an excuse too fullfill your perception of always being screwed by Big Business. And just enjoy using the tech you have.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Contributor
Zombie-in-Lace

In response to this post, I will say that I am very far from being an electronics whiz. However, I do know that the tides are constantly changing when it comes to the value, both monetary and technically of said electronics. As part of an ever-changing world, increasing amounts of people are understanding that these changes are mainly for the better.

For instance, prices may be lowered to increase buyer population; while at the same time creating room for new gadgetry. Prices tend to stay the same if there are no new advancements in technology with the same product. Sometimes, companies decide to slap us silly and come out with a new product which may, or may not blow the previous product out of the water. (It's not like this is done all the time right? Ha ha, just kidding...of course it is.) When this happens, the price of the new product is high, just like the previous product was at one point. It is a tasty morsel of economic understanding.

For quite a long time I wanted a NOOK Color. A few months ago, the price was still $249.00. I had absolutely no idea that a NOOK Tablet was coming out and it was a huge surprise for me but, Jiminy Crickets I bought myself that NOOK Color, regardless of the price and I was so happy! I had finally been able to buy something I always wanted.

Companies are going to be pulling these marketing techniques as long as technology exists. The beauty of this is, not everyone is required to go with the flow. We should just be happy with our lil' gadgets! We are never going to be able to control what happens with prices of items.

Currently Reading: Brand New Cherry Flavor by Todd Grimson

To-Be-Read Next: Claiming Sleeping Beauty by Anne Rice
Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

I think the simplest reply to the OP is this: NOBODY got screwed!! Stop whining!

Contributor
crazyladyteacher
0 Kudos

Exactly what I was thinking. Even the store workers don't know what is going on. Besides, the Nook color is getting an upgrade to match some of the what the Nook Tablet has. They really won't be much different, in my opinion, based on what I have seen. 

New User
Kyle_S_dis-satisfied_cust
0 Kudos

Wow I don't even know where to begin. I don't even know why I am venting on the Barnes and Noble Blog with people making strange comments back to peoples concerns and problems. Real classy.

I am pissed off becuse I purchased an X-Box 360 Gears of War bundle on the Barnes and Noble Website on Cyber Monday for 309.00.. you you heard that right.. Then all the fun stuff began. I received an odd message and then called customer service and spoke with Alex who assured me that everything was great and that my order had gone through fine. Well wouldn't you know it the cancel my order for, "reasons unknown" So I contact customer service via email expressing my frustration as they had already charged my cc asking for help, phone call, explination, anything. I received a very impersonal response saying, that I must contact PJ Sales in Chattanuga TN directly. So I did that, I sent them copies of my correspondance and voiced my concerns only to receive nothing back. No response. I can't tell you how frustrated I am right now. I feel like I have just been scammed. I spent hours on this and they didn't even give me the courtesy of calling me to explain themselves. My money must not be good enough for them. (And I don't expect one of your smart and unwitty remarks to whomever it is with the ridiculous comments back to customers on this blog) If the owners of Barnes and Noble only knew how their customers were being treated and saw the sarcastic and rude comments that are being allowed on this blog ridiculing customers that I am sure will never come back to this website to buy anything. THERE IS NO JUSTICE I am hoping this blog will be seen by someone who GAS at this company in hopes that it will prompt a phone call to make this right. I don't expect they will though. That is why I took screenshots of my order and the review I tried to post which showed up with a message saying my language did not fit the B & N terms and conditions to be viewable by the public. Which doesn't surprise me that they censor their feedback to decieve their customers. The only good thing that will come out of this is if they do not try to resolve this with me I will post on Google, Yahoo, and other non-biased review sites exactly what happened and post the screenshots for everyone to see how I was treated by B & N .  Yes I am upset.. can you tell.. but I think my frustration is merrited and deserves the attention of someone who can make a difference in the experience I have just had with their company. Well see. If not I will show the power of my actual review by posting it for all to see.

Sorry to be so negative just have had a horrible experience..

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

Contributor
PirateNookGirl

Hey, my husband gave me the NC as a Christmas gift last year, I think I'm entitled to my $50 back!:smileywink:

But seriously, as long as BN provides updates to bring NC up to or close to where the tablet is, I will continue to be happy with my NC.

Wordsmith
elaine_hf
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

After reading through all of the posts here, and there are many, I think the question that needs to be asked and really hasn't been asked is, "Are you happy with your NookColor (or whatever)? Do you enjoy reading on it?" My answer is a firm yes. My husband gave me an original Nook two Christmases ago, and was kind enough to give me a NookColor last year. Sometimes I think I'm missing something without the tablet, but frankly I just love to read and don't really think it would make me any happier to do all of the other things I could do with a tablet, even though it is now the same price as my NC; I get my money's worth and more from my ereader. I have to confess that I do appreciate the touch screen of the new version, but I think I could have been happy sticking with my original Nook - free wifi and 3G! So, it sounds to me there's a lot of quibbling about money, but where's the discussion about the pleasure of using the device? If you have it, and use it, I think you'll feel like you're getting a good value regardless. The original Kindles were $399, and they were that price for a very long time. Things change, prices come down, you have to jump in the stream sometime and just go with it.

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon