Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
missusliz

B and N Customer Service

‎1. Bought a Nook
2. Couldn't connect to internet  
3. Nook says "If you have trouble with connecting, visit nookcolor.com/wifi"
4. Website is a default site with no mention of the word wifi on it.  
5. Call tech support. No help. ...
6. Visit the online BN Community only to find 1000's of people with the same issue but no input from the BN Team.  
7. Escalate to Tier 2 tech support. No help, despite having two ipads and various other devices that connect with no issues.  
8. Give up. Take it back to the store.  
9. Told I can't return it to store because I bought it online with Paypal.  
10. Go to Best Buy and purchase a Kindle Fire.  
11. Call for a return label. Denied. I have to pay for shipping.  
12. Amazon just earned all my book business by simply NOT being Barnes and Noble. :smileyhappy:
Correspondent
moogs

Re: B and N Customer Service

1) purchased nook first edition ...connected flawlessly 2010

2) purchased nook color ...connected flawlessly...N1e to son

3) Purchased nook first edtion for daughter .... connected flawlessly

4) Purchased nook soft touch for spouse... Connected flawlessly

5) Selling NC to purchase NHD... Expected to connect flawlessly

6) iPad also connected flawlessly.

7) Have purchased no books from Amazon.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

missusliz wrote:
‎1. Bought a Nook
3. Nook says "If you have trouble with connecting, visit nookcolor.com/wifi"
4. Website is a default site with no mention of the word wifi on it.  
5. Call tech support. No help. ...
6. Visit the online BN Community only to find 1000's of people with the same issue but no input from the BN Team.  
7. Escalate to Tier 2 tech support. No help, despite having two ipads and various other devices that connect with no issues.  
8. Give up. Take it back to the store.  
10. Go to Best Buy and purchase a Kindle Fire.  
11. Call for a return label. Denied. I have to pay for shipping.  
12. Amazon just earned all my book business by simply NOT being Barnes and Noble. :smileyhappy:

Was there a point to this? 

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

missusliz wrote:
‎1. Bought a Nook

Purchased on-line and paid for with PayPal?  Was it purchased used from e-Bay? 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

You can pay here on BN.com with PayPal.

Stores can return items that were bought via PayPal, but only for a store credit: we simply don't have the tech required to refund back into a PayPal account baked into our POS. If he/she had simply called the CS line he could have gotten a return label and a refund (so long as it was in the return period).

Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80

flyingtoastr wrote:

If he/she had simply called the CS line he could have gotten a return label and a refund (so long as it was in the return period).

This seems to be a common occurance around here.  

Blame the customer because he didn't know to do the nth thing.  Why didn't the online help direct him to CS?  Why didn't leve 1 or 2 phone support direct him to CS?  Why didn't someone at the store direct him to CS?

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

sparky_80 wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

If he/she had simply called the CS line he could have gotten a return label and a refund (so long as it was in the return period).

Blame the customer because he didn't know to do the nth thing.  Why didn't the online help direct him to CS?  Why didn't leve 1 or 2 phone support direct him to CS?  Why didn't someone at the store direct him to CS?

While I have seen various over-reactions around here (probably some of my own included), I think what drives us most bonkers are these drive-by, single-time postings that say B&N sucks. They serve no real purpose. Admittedly, we should probably ignore the bait, but sometimes we humans are weak.

Is B&N Customer Service perfect? No. Is anyone's customer service perfect? No.

But these drive-by trolls that think their bad experience is an exemplar of B&N's SOP and should serve as a cautionary tale to ... well, I'm not quite sure who, as I found (and I think many other find) these boards after I purchased my NOOK.

Anyway, people have their varying experiences and are entitled to their opinions. Others are entitled to comment on those opinions, hence the concept of a discussion. I don't think it's gotten out of bounds in this thread.

I think people were making a valid point that the OP could have done more on their end to resolve the issue. B&N certainly could have done more, too. And I can understand the OP's I-don't-have-the-time-for-this-hassle stance. They are entitled to it.

People, I think, tend to get reactive here when it's this type of post. The OP is not looking for help or a solution. They've traded out for Kindle and have left the game. It's the motivation behind the drive-by that gets peoples' hackles raised, I believe. Coming here and saying B&N sucks can easily lead to the inference, "and all of you still happy to do business with B&N are suckers. Go get a real ereader from a real company." There's no way to know if the OP intended that, but it's an easy place to jump to. And react to.

Sure, sometimes people just need to vent, rant, or commiserate. But the drive-bys (or, as some would term them, trolls) aren't looking to do that. They drop their negative comment never to return. So what's the point?

Which, I suppose, could be asked of my post today. But it's early Sunday morning and I am sure I had one when I started typing. We'll just have to sort it out post-chai, I suppose. :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80

RHWright wrote:

sparky_80 wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

While I have seen various over-reactions around here (probably some of my own included), I think what drives us most bonkers are these drive-by, single-time postings that say B&N sucks. They serve no real purpose. Admittedly, we should probably ignore the bait, but sometimes we humans are weak.

Is B&N Customer Service perfect? No. Is anyone's customer service perfect? No.

But these drive-by trolls that think their bad experience is an exemplar of B&N's SOP and should serve as a cautionary tale to ... well, I'm not quite sure who, as I found (and I think many other find) these boards after I purchased my NOOK.

Anyway, people have their varying experiences and are entitled to their opinions. Others are entitled to comment on those opinions, hence the concept of a discussion. I don't think it's gotten out of bounds in this thread.

I think people were making a valid point that the OP could have done more on their end to resolve the issue. B&N certainly could have done more, too. And I can understand the OP's I-don't-have-the-time-for-this-hassle stance. They are entitled to it.

People, I think, tend to get reactive here when it's this type of post. The OP is not looking for help or a solution. They've traded out for Kindle and have left the game. It's the motivation behind the drive-by that gets peoples' hackles raised, I believe. Coming here and saying B&N sucks can easily lead to the inference, "and all of you still happy to do business with B&N are suckers. Go get a real ereader from a real company." There's no way to know if the OP intended that, but it's an easy place to jump to. And react to.

Sure, sometimes people just need to vent, rant, or commiserate. But the drive-bys (or, as some would term them, trolls) aren't looking to do that. They drop their negative comment never to return. So what's the point?

Which, I suppose, could be asked of my post today. But it's early Sunday morning and I am sure I had one when I started typing. We'll just have to sort it out post-chai, I suppose. :smileyvery-happy:

I've read your post a couple times and I'm not sure if you were:

1)  Calling out the OP for reporting the problem

2)  Calling out the person who called out the OP (by saying the OP should have knonw to try another method of support)

3)  Calling out the person who called out the person who called out the OP.    Who, BTW, was me.  That's not the first time that I've seen an OP chastised here for not knowing the correct B&N support method to contact.

I'm just saying that it's an opportunity for B&N to improve the culture of CS.  I just bought an electric shaver from a gigantic online retailer.  A week later, it was listed as the golden deal of the day.  I called their CS number to ask if I could get a credit for the $17 dollar difference.  The person I reached couldn't help me, but gave me another number to call.  Later that day, the first person called me to make sure that I had my problem solved.  I almost fell out of my chair.

My company spends quite a bit on CS, but it pays off with repeat customers.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Whether B&N accepts PayPal or not, it was not made clear where the NOOK was purchased -- only that it was purchased on-line and paid for with PayPal.  If it was purchased used (stolen, damaged) on e-Bay, or any other auction site, would B&N still accept it back for an exchange at any store?  Could it really have been returned to B&N for a refund if it was not purchased from B&N?  If so, that would amount to a wide open invitation to thieves that they could steal NOOKs and sell them to B&N for full retail value, so that's not likely. 

So the question remains: Where was the product purchased?  From whom? 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

sparky_80 wrote:
I'm just saying that it's an opportunity for B&N to improve the culture of CS.  I just bought an electric shaver from a gigantic online retailer.  A week later, it was listed as the golden deal of the day.  I called their CS number to ask if I could get a credit for the $17 dollar difference.

In this instance BN would be more than happy to adjust for the difference as well. We actually have specific instructions for sale price changes and how to handle exchanges within a reasonable timeframe (obviously excepting clearance stuff and the like, since it's nonreturnable).

I can't say why the store didn't refer him to BN.com support for a refund, or why he didn't have a tech in the store (since he was there) take a look at the device to see if there was a possibly an issue with it, or a whole bunch of other things that could/should have been done. I don't think the OP will be returning either.