Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
TrinityOD
0 Kudos

BARNES AND NOBLE online service

I am long time customer of Barnes & Noble. I ordered a book on 01/28/2011 from the website which statement reads "Your expected ship date will be updated approximately 60 minutes after order placement". As of 02/09/11 the book was not shipped. I contacted the seller bunchesofbooks.com and was advised that they do not have a record of the order and I follow-up with Barnes & Noble customer service and was told by a represent name that the order was canceled by Barnes & Noble because they are having a problem with the seller Bunches of Books. However, Barnes & Noble.com website did not show the order canceled. In the meantime, I have been checking my order status on the website daily and it list the order was in process: not shipped. I explain to the representative that I need the book ASAP. She advised that the order was canceled and she would mail me a form for a refund and that I would have to place my order elsewhere. I also called back and talk to another representative who advised the order was not canceled and to contact BQCS group for assistance. I was surprise that there was no apology for the inconvenience or any other suggestion offered so that I can receive my order.

Since Barnes & Noble.com can't guarantee shipping they should not have it listed on their website. In addition, if an order is canceled by Barnes & Noble the customer should be notified and the website should be updated accordingly. Also, if Barnes & Noble is having problems with a seller which would cause the cancellation of an order then the seller should be removed.  Also, when a customer expresses an inconvenience and urgency for an order Barnes & Noble customer service should have procedure in place to resolve such matters.

Shame on Barnes & Noble and Bunches of Books.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Re: BARNES AND NOBLE online service

TrinityOD, I can sympathize with you.  I have dealt with a third party seller on Amazon and it was a total nightmare.  It taught me a lesson to be cautious when dealing with third party sellers.

TrinityOD, yes, someone did get the wires crossed and there should have been better communication.  I do hope Barnes and Noble will eventually make amends with you.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Never do third party sellers. It always pulling teeth to get basic satisfaction I've found.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Never do third party sellers. It always pulling teeth to get basic satisfaction I've found.

I agree.  I bought (or tried to buy) an out of print book from a 3rd party seller on some site, maybe Amazon, and I never got the book, never got the 3rd party to contact me and wound up having to dispute the charge with my cc company.

B&N doesn't seem to be handling your issue too well, although I give them a thumbs up for not continuing to do business with a 3rd party seller if there are problems.  But they should have notified you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

I'm not certain what you mean by "third party" sellers, but I do use the used book sellers associated with Amazon and have always been very, very well satisfied.  I have a friend who has had similar positive experiences. 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy