Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
WildKnitter
0 Kudos

Barnes & Noble - Bankruptcy?

Is there any truth to the rumor I heard somewhere that Barnes and Noble is going to file for bankruptcy?  I'm really hoping it's not true, seeing as we have two Nooks (which we love), the Apps, and tons of eBooks...

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

Re: Barnes & Noble - Bankruptcy?

[ Edited ]

If it's a rumor, who's to say?

But I can't think of any reason they would be anywhere near filing for bankruptcy. They're holding their own in a tough economy and with the strain of competing with Borders' going-out-of-business sales. Now that Borders is completely gone, I expect B&N to pick up a little momentum again. The bookstore and textbook branches of B&N have been consistently profitable. Their latest 10-Q quarterly filing (September 8) shows that B&N has about three-quarters of a billion dollars more in assets than in liabilities. And since then, they've taken in $204 million in additional investment money from Liberty Media.

So B&N's somewhere around $1 billion "to the good".

Contributor
WildKnitter
0 Kudos

Oh, good!  I'm wondering if perhaps the poster didn't have B & N confused with Borders...

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

No.

The rumors get started chiefly when people are: a) idiots; and/or b) B&N has the audacity to offend someone (make a decision they don't agree with, drop the ball on customer service, whatever).

Then, they start spouting off that this is surely a sign that B&N is headed the way of Borders (or Blockbuster, or Circuit City, or...pick whichever big retailer was the latest to go; this rumor seems to come around again & again & again...)

I won't say it could never happen...just that it happening soon (as in 4Q 2011) is unlikely. What 2012 holds is anyone's guess.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

No.

The rumors get started chiefly when people are: a) idiots; and/or b) B&N has the audacity to offend someone (make a decision they don't agree with, drop the ball on customer service, whatever).

Then, they start spouting off that this is surely a sign that B&N is headed the way of Borders (or Blockbuster, or Circuit City, or...pick whichever big retailer was the latest to go; this rumor seems to come around again & again & again...)

I won't say it could never happen...just that it happening soon (as in 4Q 2011) is unlikely. What 2012 holds is anyone's guess.

Exactly, OMG The Kindle fire is going to cause B&N to go bankrupt, oh no nobody wants to shop at a real bookstore it is pure crap. 

Distinguished Correspondent
AVID-JT
0 Kudos

Anyone can start a rumor just like anyone can start a fire. Both are damaging and difficult to put out. Some disgruntled person probably started it. I don’t see it happening anytime soon, e-books are here to stay for a while, and I’m not going to fan the smoke by passing it on. 

Frequent Contributor
ssakuras
0 Kudos

It's not just e-books that are here to stay for awhile, but physical books as well. I worked at Sears in the Duluth, MN mall for a couple of years. The Miller Hill Mall isn't that big, but I saw more B&N shopping bags in Sears than I did Sears bags! I highly doubt that they'd be filing bankrupty, but who knows, stuff does happen. 

New User
teachhtml
0 Kudos

I guess wishful thinking can't hold back the bankruptcy monster :smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Nor thread necromancy.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos