Reply
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
Posts: 740
Registered: ‎12-06-2010

Barnes & Noble Is Not Doomed

[ Edited ]

Here ya' go.....some good news if you can believe the source.

 

http://beta.fool.com/alexcho/2013/04/18/barnes-and-noble-is-not-doomed/31706/?source=enweutlnk001001

Freedom is not free.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
Posts: 3,544
Registered: ‎12-03-2011

Re: Barnes & Noble Is Not Doomed

Thanks gb18. Interesting to see a pro-B&N article at fool.com.

 

I think he makes a good argument for 'B&N has a lot of life in it'.

 

It was very interesting to see Nook account for $933 million in earnings in 2012. That's nearly a billion dollar business.

 

Also, that the retail and college bookstore lines of business are not declining much.

 

*****

 

I don't like his argument that 'closing down unprofitable stores' quickly leads to profit. That has to be weighed against the damage of not having a wide retail footprint.

 

*****

 

I think one of the really interesting things would be for Microsoft to start parterning with B&N stores and convert part of them to Microsoft Device Stores.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
Posts: 945
Registered: ‎05-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble Is Not Doomed


5ivedom wrote:

{Snip}

 

Also, that the retail and college bookstore lines of business are not declining much.

 

*****

 

I don't like his argument that 'closing down unprofitable stores' quickly leads to profit. That has to be weighed against the damage of not having a wide retail footprint.

 

*****

 

I think one of the really interesting things would be for Microsoft to start parterning with B&N stores and convert part of them to Microsoft Device Stores.


Happen to live in an area with a MS store, and they're not bad. (It's nice to be able to go in and ask questions to someone who actually knows what they are talking about.)  So agree with you on the last part.  Would offer good synergy for both.  Would allow MS to expand their footprint in an area where a full store might not be profitable, bring people that normally wouldn't walk into a bookstore into a B&N, etc.)

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble Is Not Doomed

Well I guess if Motley Fool says it then it must be true... :smileywink:

 

Seems to me the whole article is predicated on the fact that people still want DTB's.  My experience for what it's worth is that the number of people reading DTB's is decreasing rapidly.  People I never thought would read e-books are reading them now.  

E-books must be appealing to all the germophobes out there who won't touch anything without a handkerchief in their hand or using the antiseptic lotion dispenser that seems to be in the entrance of every store you go to (can't think of the name offhand).

In my opinion it's only a matter of time before the older generation that prefers DTB's dies out and e-books take over.  When that happens B&N will be doomed as I just don't see them surviving against Amazon.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
Gotadimple
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎12-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble Is Not Doomed


AlanNJ wrote:

Well I guess if Motley Fool says it then it must be true... :smileywink:

 

Seems to me the whole article is predicated on the fact that people still want DTB's.  My experience for what it's worth is that the number of people reading DTB's is decreasing rapidly.  People I never thought would read e-books are reading them now.  

E-books must be appealing to all the germophobes out there who won't touch anything without a handkerchief in their hand or using the antiseptic lotion dispenser that seems to be in the entrance of every store you go to (can't think of the name offhand).

In my opinion it's only a matter of time before the older generation that prefers DTB's dies out and e-books take over.  When that happens B&N will be doomed as I just don't see them surviving against Amazon.


The underlying assumption, then, to your argument is that there are no books that are not ebooks.  Currently, there are many books that are not ebooks. This makes it difficult to imagine a case where a store selling new copies or used copies of books could not exist.

 

 

Nook STR, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1"
Only got 1 dimple, would have preferred 2!
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,522
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble Is Not Doomed

[ Edited ]
People do still want printed books. Go find a place where a lot of people will have hours to spend idly doing whatever they want, and you'll see people with books. This is not a generational thing. On any flight I've been on, there's a lot of reading going on. People with a bag of computer equipment and a smartphone in their pocket pull out books, and not just during takeoff and landing. People of all ages still voluntarily pick paper books. For one thing, paper and electronic are not mutually exclusive. Just as predictions of the paperless office never came to pass, so too will paper books be around for a long, long time. Sure, selling paper books is more competitive. Big stores will morph. I still don't expect printed material to be nonexistent any time soon. Personally, I prefer electronic books. I just pay attention to what I'm seeing in the real world.
AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Barnes & Noble Is Not Doomed


Gotadimple wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Well I guess if Motley Fool says it then it must be true... :smileywink:

 

Seems to me the whole article is predicated on the fact that people still want DTB's.  My experience for what it's worth is that the number of people reading DTB's is decreasing rapidly.  People I never thought would read e-books are reading them now.  

E-books must be appealing to all the germophobes out there who won't touch anything without a handkerchief in their hand or using the antiseptic lotion dispenser that seems to be in the entrance of every store you go to (can't think of the name offhand).

In my opinion it's only a matter of time before the older generation that prefers DTB's dies out and e-books take over.  When that happens B&N will be doomed as I just don't see them surviving against Amazon.


The underlying assumption, then, to your argument is that there are no books that are not ebooks.  Currently, there are many books that are not ebooks. This makes it difficult to imagine a case where a store selling new copies or used copies of books could not exist.

 

 


All LP's are not CDs either.  The record industry has essentially gone through this similiar transition as most recorded music is now digital vs analog.  I see the book industry going down a similar path.  There will always be diehard DTB readers but the vast majority of people will read e-books.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,522
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble Is Not Doomed

If you look at the history of music, the trend has always been towards portability, even at the expense of quality. While portable audio took off in recent years, the advent of those cheap white ear buds heralded a serious decline in audio quality, but people wanted portable over quality. Books are a different matter. You can read just about anywhere. EBooks let you carry more, but really only let you read in darker situations. They are dependent on battery life and readability, depending on the device. EBooks will surely grow market share, but I don't see them eliminating paper books in the same way successive generations of audio technologies replaced the previous. For one thing, I see a printed book as the compliment to a book you really want to keep. EBooks will likely kill off a lot of cheap paperbacks, but not supplant all printed media.
Frequent Contributor
byter67
Posts: 111
Registered: ‎11-30-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble Is Not Doomed

Well, this senior citizen for one finds himself buying more DTBs than ever despite the fact of owning several eBook reading devices - Nooks, Kindles, and an Android (via an N2A card). Since Jan. 27 of this year I have purchased and read 62 books. Here is the breakdown: 47 DTBs (36 hardcover, 11 paperbacks), and 15 digital books. I always look for sales especially at the national book club I joined some time ago where I find I can usually purchase recent members' edition hardcover best sellers for less than even paperback prices for the same books offered at the BIG 2 retailers. Just this week I ordered 6 hardcovers of recent vintage from the club at an average cost of just $7.50 per book. Though many recent best sellers are available in less expensive (and in some cases, less deluxe) club hardcovers, not all are so offered, and in those situations I purchase either digital editions or sale price DTBs from either source A or B. I think B&N ought to take a serious look at establishing its own book club. There must be profit to be found there or other national firms would not be engaged in such marketing. I am surprised more readers have not discovered this sensible money-saving alternative to high book prices.

Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎06-30-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble Is Not Doomed

Sure, there will be a demand for DTB's, but will it be enough to make the large B&N brick and mortar stores profitable enough to remain open?    

 

5 years ago, I would visit a B&N store at least 20 times a year.  Now, it's less than 10.  I used to buy an armload full of books.  Now, I'm only buying reference books.  I may browse some books to add to my e-reading list.

 

How about the others on this list?  Do you still frequent the B&N stores?  Do you still spend as much money as you did 5 years ago?