Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,954
0 Kudos

Re: It's ALL doomed! James Patterson is afraid so, anyway.

Hm, I read that a little differently. I saw it as more of a critique of how our government is willing to shell out huge amounts of money to rescue banks when they mess up, but doesn't bat an eye when a major piece of our cultural landscape (bookstores) is threatened. *shrug*

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Hm, I read that a little differently. I saw it as more of a critique of how our government is willing to shell out huge amounts of money to rescue banks when they mess up, but doesn't bat an eye when a major piece of our cultural landscape (bookstores) is threatened. *shrug*

I would hardly consider a retail company a part of our cultural landscape.  What they SELL would be considered a part of our cultural landscape but not the store itself.   Should we have a B&N bailout now (not that I necessarily agree with banking bailouts)...

►Without order there is chaos◄
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,954
0 Kudos

Bookstores have nothing to do with the health of the literature industry.

/s

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

/s

I THINK you're agreeing with me.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

/s

I THINK you're agreeing with me.

/s = end of sarcasm

keriflur
0 Kudos

Since I'm waiting for something to download...

I'm personally not crazy about the government stepping in to provide funding to private industry - any private industry, including airlines, automakers, and banks.  But libraries are a public entity, and IMO our goverment ought to step up and fund them.

For the private market, i.e. bookstores, publishers, etc., IMO that needs to come from private funding.  Hence my comment upthread.  If you're someone with a crapload of money, like JP, and you care about something, then put your money where your mouth is.  Don't ask other people to do it, or the government to do it, you do it.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

patgolfneb: Will a flood of inferior self published books leave fewer dollars for professional writers reducing their incomes? Will publishers importance decrease as writers self publish to retain a bigger share of income?

For many reasons, this is where I think the bigger threat to traditional publishing lies - with self-publishing, not ereaders.

keriflur

[ Edited ]

TnTexas wrote:

patgolfneb: Will a flood of inferior self published books leave fewer dollars for professional writers reducing their incomes? Will publishers importance decrease as writers self publish to retain a bigger share of income?

For many reasons, this is where I think the bigger threat to traditional publishing lies - with self-publishing, not ereaders.

Yes, I don't think the devices themselves were ever a real threat.  Ebooks are just another format, like HCs or PBs.  As to whether inferior books will take down trad pub or pro writers - that's up to us, the readers.  If we buy crap instead of well-written stuff, there will be less well-written stuff and more crap.  We each have a hand in the vote of whether or not crap succeeds, even though sometimes (50 shades) it doesn't feel like that.

For me, the idea of having to do it all myself, to pay editors and artists and marketing people out of my pocket, is terrifying.  I'd rather give those people a stake in the success, so that our goals are aligned.  BUT, regardless, I care more about having good books available to read, regardless of self-pub or trad-pub.  Good books, inspiring books, books I can connect to.  At the end of the day, that's what matters.  So I make a point of not supporting (aka buying) crap, no matter how popular it is or which way it was published, because I don't want crap to win out.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

My tax dollars will NOT fund B&N or any other retail store if I have anything to say about it!  Period!  :smileymad:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Keriflur wrote:

As to whether inferior books will take down trad pub or pro writers - that's up to us, the readers.  If we buy crap instead of well-written stuff, there will be less well-written stuff and more crap. 

No, inferior books are not going to take down trad pub.

Well written books at very low prices are. They already are beginning to. See the thread about #1 and #2 in ebook sales being gobbled up by Self-Published books.