Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Re: It's ALL doomed! James Patterson is afraid so, anyway.

AlanNJ wrote:

Speaking for myself I've been reading for 54 years (started when I was 3) and have never had the desire to get a book signed, go to a lecture pertaining to a book or any other event.

Well good for you if that's how you like things.  I've seen large lines of people happy to be present for a book signing -- more for the chance to speak with a favorite author or artist than for the signing itself.  My mother claims I was reading her to sleep rather than vice-versa when I was approximately 3 and I was thrilled to have In Memory Yet Green signed by Dr. Isaac Asimov and speak with him when he was at a bookstore at my college.  I wish I'd had the same chance with other favorite authors as well.

As far as lectures, I've seen tons of fans (particularly in the SF/F genre) wanting to get in on a lecture by the author.  A lot of times they're hoping for more of the backstory behind what was published, other times they want to hear info on what real life events or people molded the story.

Signing fees at the conventions can get ridiculous these days but it's no different from the signing fees some pro athletes commanded even 40 years ago.  I can readily believe the signing and speaking fees can outweight actual royalties in many cases.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Knight of the Word, The Dark Knight Returns, Appleseed
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Speaking for myself I've been reading for 54 years (started when I was 3) and have never had the desire to get a book signed, go to a lecture pertaining to a book or any other event.

Well good for you if that's how you like things.  I've seen large lines of people happy to be present for a book signing -- more for the chance to speak with a favorite author or artist than for the signing itself.  My mother claims I was reading her to sleep rather than vice-versa when I was approximately 3 and I was thrilled to have In Memory Yet Green signed by Dr. Isaac Asimov and speak with him when he was at a bookstore at my college.  I wish I'd had the same chance with other favorite authors as well.

As far as lectures, I've seen tons of fans (particularly in the SF/F genre) wanting to get in on a lecture by the author.  A lot of times they're hoping for more of the backstory behind what was published, other times they want to hear info on what real life events or people molded the story.

Signing fees at the conventions can get ridiculous these days but it's no different from the signing fees some pro athletes commanded even 40 years ago.  I can readily believe the signing and speaking fees can outweight actual royalties in many cases.

I agree and would certainly not diminish the importance of book signings or lectures.  I was just stating that they have never been important to me.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP

I already have tickets for a lecture and book sighning in August by Stephen White. He is writing the last of a 20 series book.Looking forward to hearing what his plans are after this.

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite

Omnigeek wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

I've actually gone to more readings, signings and lectures in the last year because I DON'T want to see the human interaction that comes along with reading. I've gone to these types of events because they do tend to take place at indie bookstores, and I will keep going just to keep that aspect of it alive. This week I'm going to a big event at Random House, just as an example. Would I have gone to a similar event a few years ago? Maybe not.

I went to a George Saunders event a few months ago, and not only did I have the pleasure of hearing him read but I also had a chance to get him to sign my book. There was standing room only and a line three people deep that stretched a city block.bJust seeing that warmed my literary heart.

I'll be going to these kinds of events happily showing my support for an industry that I refuse to let die.

Distinguished Correspondent
auntykatkat

keriflur wrote:

I'm not sure that feelings about publishers are ultimately a factor to most readers.  Sure, here on the forums and in the kindle forums, people are aware, but that's a small subset of the reading population.  Most folks, myself included, can't tell you who published their favorite books.  Heck, I CARE who publishes what, because it actually does matter to me as a writer, but the only reason I even know who published the current book I'm reading is because someone asked me about it in another thread.  Most folks just read what they like and never give the pub a thought (and that goes for self-pub too).

You need to visit my library, because they really are putting it to the publishers. They let everyone know when it is the publishers that do not allow libraries ebooks. There are many libraries doing this, so you would be amazed at who knows what. Our library has done several petitions to be sent to publishers, has made announcements in some of their reading groups and included their troubles with publishers in the newsletter. 

When it matters to them personnally, people listen it seems.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Keriflur, I think it's the reverse.

People don't care in general.

But when books they want aren't available in ebook format, or are priced very high, or as AuntyKatKat mentioned, aren't available for libraries, then people take note.

Publishers have put themselves into a very interesting situation. If a book does well the author and book get all the credit and Publishers gets very little.

However, if there are any pricing or availability problems, the publisher gets all the blame.

The Agency Model is a great example of Publishers hurting their brand with a lot of readers.