AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble Is Not Doomed

I never frequented B&N stores.  I liked Borders.  I only went to B&N when I got the first Nook.  In fact, except for purchasing gift certificates for other people the only time I go into B&N is when I want to replace my Nook e-ink reader.  

Honestly except for the NSTG I don't like B&N at all.  :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

byter67 wrote:

Well, this senior citizen for one finds himself buying more DTBs than ever despite the fact of owning several eBook reading devices - Nooks, Kindles, and an Android (via an N2A card). Since Jan. 27 of this year I have purchased and read 62 books. Here is the breakdown: 47 DTBs (36 hardcover, 11 paperbacks), and 15 digital books. I always look for sales especially at the national book club I joined some time ago where I find I can usually purchase recent members' edition hardcover best sellers for less than even paperback prices for the same books offered at the BIG 2 retailers. Just this week I ordered 6 hardcovers of recent vintage from the club at an average cost of just $7.50 per book. Though many recent best sellers are available in less expensive (and in some cases, less deluxe) club hardcovers, not all are so offered, and in those situations I purchase either digital editions or sale price DTBs from either source A or B. I think B&N ought to take a serious look at establishing its own book club. There must be profit to be found there or other national firms would not be engaged in such marketing. I am surprised more readers have not discovered this sensible money-saving alternative to high book prices.

We know that e-books have been artificially high-priced because of the illegal activities of Apple Computer and some publishers.  My question is:  Would you continue buying DTBs if e-books were generally available at or below the $5 price point?  Would you buy them at the same rate, and in the same proportion as you presently purchase e-books? 

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

[ Edited ]

I don't think that B&N and paper books are necessarily the same thing. If B&N is smart, they'll obviously have to evolve. While they made some good early efforts, they still don't seem to be adding value to the stores with ebooks and vice versa. If they could leverage the two together, I'd be a lot more optmistic about their future. 

I personally have gone over to ebooks in a big way. Paper books just aren't portable enough, and I was having a hard time transporting more than one of the big technical volumes I read on trips. I didn't stop buying paper books because of ebooks. I started buying books again because of ebooks.

I do like paper books though, especially for technical material. I like marking important pages, then easily flipping between  them as I do things on-screen. O'Reilly has a good combination where they provide one or the other at a significant discount so I can have the best of both worlds.

There are also "premium" books that I prefer in paper. Books with photos, my "Hitchiker's Guide" leather bound and so forth, that I'll always be willing to pay a extra for. Perhaps not enough to support a big national book chain, but we might see the return of the mom & pop books store.

The other aspect of printed books is that people who read tend to be proud of their books. Or at least the ones they prominently display. I haven't seen a lawyer with a NOOK propped up behind their desk yet. 

eBooks are a big threat to cheap paperbacks, magazines and newspapers. They'll certainly dent hardcover book sales. I just don't think they'll replace them entirely. I also don't see this as an age thing. Plenty of "youngsters" read paper by choice. There's more to books than just reading. I'm not likely to fondly pull a 20 year old ebook off the shelf and fondly flip through it.

Stores and book publishers need to find the right balance an synergy between electronic and print to survive. They really need to keep thinking of one as exclusive of the other, and find ways to enhance value to the reader by having both options available.

keriflur
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

In my opinion it's only a matter of time before the older generation that prefers DTB's dies out and e-books take over.  When that happens B&N will be doomed as I just don't see them surviving against Amazon.

Statistically, the youngest buyers, MGers and teens, heavily prefer paper.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Kerifleur, any of the research indicare why thr YA preference for paper?  Is it social, trading sharing books, passing them on?, or just like paper, emotional connection of paper?

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

While this is not research based, I suspect YA prefer paper books because many schools don't allow electronic devices and because of the expense-they probably get most of their books from the library for free or from used book stores. Plus, a DTB can be traded in for credit at used book stores, keeping costs well below what it costs to buy ebooks!
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528

keriflur wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

In my opinion it's only a matter of time before the older generation that prefers DTB's dies out and e-books take over.  When that happens B&N will be doomed as I just don't see them surviving against Amazon.

Why?

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

I'd love to read that report.  Can you share it?

keriflur
0 Kudos

sparky_80 wrote:

keriflur wrote:

I'd love to read that report.  Can you share it?

I can't, as it's from an industry report that was given verbally and while I'm sure there is a printed copy, I don't have it.

I don't know why they prefer paper, just that they do. I do know that teens tend to share books with friends, so maybe that's the reason?

keriflur
0 Kudos

A google search brought me to this:

http://mediaroom.scholastic.com/press-release/new-study-kids-reading-digital-age-number-kids-reading...

the article does some cherry picking of stats, and some of those stats seem to disagree with each other, but the overall vibe is that ebooks are growing in popularity in this age group, but that 80% still read for fun on paper and over 50% believe they will always want to read paper.  So we'll have to wait and see if that continues or not.