Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: It's ALL doomed! James Patterson is afraid so, anyway.

I would think traditional publishing and its ability to foster new, interesting authors is in more danger from book factories churning out formulaic thrillers like clockwork, taking up shelf space and promotional budgets.  Any ideas on that problem, Mr. Patterson?  Didn't think so.

Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80

flyingtoastr wrote:

Bookstores have nothing to do with the health of the literature industry.

/s

My city used to be filled with bookstores.  Then B&N and Borders came to town.  Now there is one big book store and a very few little niche ones.  (Nobody was clammering for bailouts for those little guys).

I think the free market will solve this problem.  If B&N can't make a profit in my city and goes under, then maybe some of those smaller stores can come back.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

sparky_80 wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

Bookstores have nothing to do with the health of the literature industry.

/s

My city used to be filled with bookstores.  Then B&N and Borders came to town.  Now there is one big book store and a very few little niche ones.  (Nobody was clammering for bailouts for those little guys).

I think the free market will solve this problem.  If B&N can't make a profit in my city and goes under, then maybe some of those smaller stores can come back.

I do think the Borders, BN development along with Amazon's appearance has contributed greatly to the reliance on a smaller number of blockbuster books. BN was hardly the good guy, some of its behaviour was downright wrong.  Unforturnately in the here and now allowing Amazon, who is even more badly behaved, to become dominant in online bookselling, where there is no model for small niche players, is even more frightening.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

sparky_80 wrote:

I see this all the time and still can't figure it out.

If the big box stores can't compete with Amazon (including their deep supplier discounting and economies of scale) how on earth will a single mom & pop stores do any better?

Will there still be indy's if BN goes out? Sure, just like there were still indy's that flourished while the boxes grew big. But the death of the chain bookstore isn't going to magically usher in a new age of independent bookstores. The same forces that are contributing to the "death" of the big chains are pressuing these small sellers even worse.

Much more likely you'll see the same situation you get with music stores: they pretty much just don't exist in any kind of scale anymore.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

My tax dollars will NOT fund B&N or any other retail store if I have anything to say about it!  Period!  :smileymad:

Hmm.  Aren't your tax dollars already being used to fund retail stores such as WalMart, Best Buy and Border's Books?  If you live in the United States, your tax dollars are being used to subsidize retail stores. 

http://www.walmartsubsidywatch.org/

http://www.businessweek.com/small-business/dont-subsidize-big-boxes-at-local-shops-expense-09092011....

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2011/11/13/366988/over-half-of-all-us-tax-subsidies-go-to-four-indu...

keriflur

5ivedom wrote:

Keriflur wrote:

As to whether inferior books will take down trad pub or pro writers - that's up to us, the readers.  If we buy crap instead of well-written stuff, there will be less well-written stuff and more crap. 

No, inferior books are not going to take down trad pub.

Well written books at very low prices are. They already are beginning to. See the thread about #1 and #2 in ebook sales being gobbled up by Self-Published books.

Who says these books are well-written?  Have you read them?  I haven't, so I can't say if they're good or crap.

Topping a weighted list of e-only books from a selected set of retailers doesn't mean anything in the scope of sales.  As I said in the thread on that topic, all these lists are heavily skewed, from the NYT on down.

keriflur
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

sparky_80 wrote:

I see this all the time and still can't figure it out.

If the big box stores can't compete with Amazon (including their deep supplier discounting and economies of scale) how on earth will a single mom & pop stores do any better?

Will there still be indy's if BN goes out? Sure, just like there were still indy's that flourished while the boxes grew big. But the death of the chain bookstore isn't going to magically usher in a new age of independent bookstores. The same forces that are contributing to the "death" of the big chains are pressuing these small sellers even worse.

Much more likely you'll see the same situation you get with music stores: they pretty much just don't exist in any kind of scale anymore.

What's a music store? :smileysurprised:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

keriflur wrote:

What's a music store? :smileysurprised:

It's a store that sells musical instruments and sheet music. Lots of times they hold classes, too.

I'm showing my age, I guess. That's what a "music store" was back in my day. There were also "record stores" where you could buy recorded music.

keriflur
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

Keriflur wrote:

As to whether inferior books will take down trad pub or pro writers - that's up to us, the readers.  If we buy crap instead of well-written stuff, there will be less well-written stuff and more crap. 

No, inferior books are not going to take down trad pub.

Well written books at very low prices are. They already are beginning to. See the thread about #1 and #2 in ebook sales being gobbled up by Self-Published books.

Who says these books are well-written?  Have you read them?  I haven't, so I can't say if they're good or crap.

Topping a weighted list of e-only books from a selected set of retailers doesn't mean anything in the scope of sales.  As I said in the thread on that topic, all these lists are heavily skewed, from the NYT on down.

Okay, so I read the samples on these two.  One of these is very poorly written and has clearly never seen an editor.  The first few words are "Nerves shoot through my veins."  I had a hard time even finishing the sentence because my eyes were rolling so hard, but I did manage to get though the whole first page, just to be fair.  It did not improve from there.

The other, the agented one, isn't horrible, but it's not what I'd call well-written either.  I struggled to get past the prologue, and it lost me on the first page of Chapter 1 with "there he was, a regular Adonis".  I'd had hopes for this one, as it's agented, but no win for me.  I can see why some folks would spend the $1 on it, though, if they like this kind of story.

MacMcK1957

"It was a dark and stormy night.  Suddenly, a shot rang out!  A door slammed.  The maid screamed.  Suddenly, a pirate ship appeared on the horizon!  While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury.  Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up."