Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Barnes & Noble Looks Determined to Dump the Nook

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble Looks Determined to Dump the Nook

The author of this article seems to be reading a LOT into Riggio not trying to buy the nook business.  While he mentions the Micorsoft investment, he never mentions the fact that Riggio would have to buy out Microsoft AND Pierson to be able to take Nook Media private, and there's no reason to believe that either of these companies would want to sell.

This article seems to be a lot of conjecture without a lot of facts.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That was an interesting analytical and logical article - with neither logic nor analysis.

He writes things like

'Microsoft invested in Nook to throw a bomb at Amazon to clear the way for its own Microsoft Surface tablet'

and

makes dubious claims like 'Kindle Fire beats Nook on price'.

There are a few sites (including Fool.com) that LOVE to keep writing B&N is dead articles. Sometimes they instead write Nook are dead articles.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

Motley Fool (and anyone who republishes their drivel) is an awful website to take any advice from - investing or otherwise.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

Apparently anyone is an expert if they have a web page. The scary part is people reading this (assuming there are a lot of them) could help make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.  I've said many times that I have no love for B&N but I do have a love for competition.  I like Amazon but I would hate to just see them rule the e-book market by default.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

It doesn't help when there isn't much visibility of the Nook to advertising firms...

I picked up aprint copy of ScientificAmerican. Inside is a full page ad for SciAm ebook edition. Illustrated: a color screen iPad Mini, a color screen Kindle Fire (I had to read the credits to figure out what they were), and for the Nook... a greyscale First Edition (with a composited display -- since the covers slide is not available when actually reading a book).

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

flyingtoastr wrote:

Motley Fool (and anyone who republishes their drivel) is an awful website to take any advice from - investing or otherwise.

I couldn't agree more.  Years ago they provided general education about the stock market and how investing works, and they weren't bad at that.  Since they started posting analysis and predictions about individual companies, not only are they competing with hundreds of other sites doing the same thing, but they're really, really bad at it.  Every time I see them posting anything about any company I'm personally familiar with, I'm amazed at how off-the-mark their analysis is.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Not just one.......

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Re: Not just one.......

I see them giving away NST's as a way to lock more people in the same way companies give away razors so you need to buy the blades.  But then again what do I know?  

On the other hand, B&N is still in big financial trouble.  

Time will tell but I'm not hopeful about the Nook.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Not just one.......

The new article is even worse.

The author writes:  Buy one, get one free e-readers? C'mon. Someone has a surplus.

So -> Offering a $69 eReader free with a $269 Tablet is 'Buy One, Get One Free'.

I've been reading Nook is dead, B&N is dead articles since the first Nook came out.

If anyone remembers, the entire main stream tech media went nuts claiming the sluggishness and bugs meant Nook was DOA etc. etc.

And they never gave B&N due credit for the Reading Tablet market.

I guess if they keep writing 'Nook is Dead', at some point it'll come ttrue and they can claim - Look, we are so magnificent, we predicted Nook was dead right when it launched. Never mind the 5-10 million device sales.