Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Re: Not just one.......

AlanNJ wrote:

I see them giving away NST's as a way to lock more people in the same way companies give away razors so you need to buy the blades.  But then again what do I know?  

On the other hand, B&N is still in big financial trouble.  

Time will tell but I'm not hopeful about the Nook.

It's better to give them away than to landfill them. As you say, B&N stands a chance to sell some content if they get them in a customer's hands. Landfill varmints don't ordinarily have credit cards. :smileytongue:

Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80
0 Kudos

Re: Not just one.......

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,996
0 Kudos

Stock prices; Simon & Schuster

gb18 wrote:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11880691/1/barnes-noble-could-be-treading-water-is-it-time-to-short.h...

That article is primarily about B&N's stock prices, not about the survival of the company or the survival of the NOOK line. Stock prices aren't particularly well-grounded in reality, so I don't look at them when considering a company from a consumer standpoint.

The article also contains a factual mistake. About the snit with Simon & Schuster, the article says, "By cutting out Simon & Schuster, Barnes & Noble is effectively removing itself from the market for a variety of bestselling titles and some of the most popular writers of our time."

In fact, B&N is not cutting off the bestselling titles and popular writers. As noted in the WSJ article that was referenced, "While the retailer is still carrying the publisher's biggest books in quantity, titles by lesser-known authors have been cut sharply." It's S&S's midlist and backlist that's being reduced, not their frontlist.

For adult fiction, my impression is that S&S doesn't really have all that much of popular interest anyway. The list of "popular writers" signed with S&S/Scribner is quite small. Stephen King, Jodi Picoult, Mary Higgins Clark, Karen Kingsbury, Jackie Collins, and, um, ... well, I suppose maybe some other authors. The first three titles in the Stephanie Plum series were published by S&S — almost twenty years ago.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble Looks Determined to Dump the Nook

5ivedom wrote:

That was an interesting analytical and logical article - with neither logic nor analysis.

He writes things like

'Microsoft invested in Nook to throw a bomb at Amazon to clear the way for its own Microsoft Surface tablet'

and

makes dubious claims like 'Kindle Fire beats Nook on price'.

There are a few sites (including Fool.com) that LOVE to keep writing B&N is dead articles. Sometimes they instead write Nook are dead articles.

and "Google and Apple sell digital books in their respective media stores, books that can be read on a wide variety of tablets.", which is only half true -- the only tablet that can read iBooks is the iPad.

Wordsmith
Tim40744

KingAl wrote:

and "Google and Apple sell digital books in their respective media stores, books that can be read on a wide variety of tablets.", which is only half true -- the only tablet that can read iBooks is the iPad.

IIRC, you can't even read iBooks on a Mac. The logic of that restriction escapes me.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, good point about iBooks being rather limited.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if B&N bought GoodReads. Probably something along the lines of 'B&N making desperate moves'.

I wonder how much Amazon paid? $40 million? $100 million?

Why would GoodReads sell to Amazon if it had 16 million members and could conceivably sell ebooks to them down the line.

Perhaps it didn't understand that as well as Amazon does.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,996
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

I wonder how much Amazon paid? $40 million? $100 million?

AllThingsD reports information from unattributable sources that the deal was about $150 million, escalating to about $200 million "if certain performance metrics are met."

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, so the saying goes.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for the details Doug.

This is not a bad price to get for a site with 16 million subscribers -

about $150 million, escalating to about $200 million "if certain performance metrics are met."

Certain Performance Metrics - Perhaps how many people they can route from GoodReads to Amazon. Perhaps how many sales they can generate for Amazon published books.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner

5ivedom wrote:

I wonder what the reaction would have been if B&N bought GoodReads. Probably something along the lines of 'B&N making desperate moves'.

Yes, kids, you too can become a featured writer over at The Motley Fool! :smileytongue:

B&N isn't perfect, but those people over there are such Amazon sycophants, I'd swear Bezos could take a drunken dump on the steps of Seattle's City Hall and they'd find a way to spin it as a bold move to further Amazon's sales dominance.